OBD-II Mac interface?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD-II Mac interface?

Hi, i'm aiming to upgrade my car with my 2006 Tax return, and i'm starting to weigh my options. I'm trying to decide between a Pioneer Avic N2 and setting up a Mac Carputer. I know that the Avic does not have a OBD-II interface, and i've read that a mac can use a couple of the PC versions while emulating.

Is there any OBD-II interface or software that works natively with a Mac?

Would a simple gadget like this

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/72fc/

work better just to beable to see the data?

i have freediag working on osx

freediag can be found here: freediag.sf.net
    i'm not sure if the current CVS source will work on osx. but i have a version that another guy and i got working. if you would like the source let me know.

to connect the computer to OBDII i used the BR-3 which you can find here:
    http://obddiagnostics.com
    this was then connected using a keyspan serial to usb connector.

cool stuff!

Comment

I am not a programer, but looking at the widget programming guide, could you not make a widget that called the freediag command line and returned a value so you could have a GUI?
      7" Lilliput
      1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
      Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
      Radioshark
      GPS (BU-303)
      Polk MMC 650
      Infinity Kappa 62.7i
      Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

unfortunatly no you could not. freediag has it own cli. it displays all the data in a kind of table like format within the shell. i did start to work on a cocoa interface but didnt get to far because of other projects. the freediag program is written in c so an gui interface can be written for it.

Comment

Can you post your version that runs in osx? I can't find it online anywhere

Comment

sure here is the source code. it is in xcode 2.1 but should compile without it.

Comment

i started doing some testing with that code and it does not work on tiger. i haven't used it since panther.
              there is a problem with the serial connection code in diag_l0_br.c
              i will try and work on it and post the changes when i get it working.

Comment

just wondering if one of you guys could please upload the source code again or something (if you still have it),

Thanks

Comment

Check the OBDII forum. You are looking for obd2gpslogger by Chunkyks. There's a forum for it. Runs in OSX.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Also it's in my sig :-D

Actually, this reminds me that I need to do an OSX build. If you give it a couple hours, I'll put up an OSX app bundle for download; I tagged a new version of the software yesterday.

[Or, if you're a developer and can build and install stuff yourself, feel free to grab the source and go to town].

Gary (-;
                    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

EDIT: Ignore everything in this post. Nothing to see here, move along. Read my post below this one.

Well, that was ... "fortuitous" ?

I haven't loaded obdgpslogger on my mac recently, and 0.10 appears to be busted on OSX - glad I did that build, else I wouldn't have noticed. I've put up a build of 0.9 for OSX here: http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/down...0.9-Darwin.dmg

It works for me, but be warned that the big feature added in 0.10 was baudrate voodoo - if you're using an OBDLink with the default settings, you'll run into some problems. Look forward to a fix soon [hopefully!]

Gary (-;

Comment

And one more message for luck: never mind me, I'm an idiot. I had the baudrate set to 38400 in the config file in my home dir, and was testing with my OBDPro [which is 9600]. So, in other words, 0.10 works fine, but I'm an idiot..

Fresh OSX 0.10 package here: http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/down....10-Darwin.dmg

Gary (-;

Comment

Thanks alot

Comment

Lemme know how it works out for you - I'm genuinely interested to hear :-)

Gary (-;

Comment

well unfortunately I wont be able to test it quite some time as I don't have an OBD-II cable yet... or a an adapter for the cable but it's nice to know that it should all work and i now have all the right stuff to get it to do so (software wise). Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X