Hi guys, I'm new!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys, I'm new!!!

Hey eveyone. I have been browsing your forum for a while now and have found it very informative. I just wanted to post a quick thread to introduce myself and ask a few basic questions.

My car will be a 2006 Mazda3 5-door. I just purchased a new 1.5 ghz superdrive mini. (it says 1.42 on the box, but its a 1.5 processor on the inside). I have decided on the xenarc 700 TSV because from what i have read it seems to be the best quality over the lilliputs and earth lcds.

I will be replacing the entire audio system and replacing with a complete JL audio system including:

2x evolution XR525-CSi (front)
    2x evolution XR525-CXi (rear)
    1x Slash 300/4 amp
    1x 10W6v2 sub in custom enclosuure
    1x slash 500/1 amp

the audio will be fed off a M-audio firewire 410 interface which is cabable of decoding 5.1.

i plan on adding gps, xm, and fm radio to the system and an ipod dock under the armrest.

should be a fun project and you guys will be hearing alot more from me as i get it goin. im still waiting to take delievery of my new car. i do have a few questions that ill throw out while im here.

has anyone run into cooling problems with the mini? im planning on mounting it in the huge glovebox that my car has but im not sure if im gonna have to re-route an AC vent into the glove to keep this baby cool.

has anyone tried shock mounting this unit? i want to baby my machine and keep the hard drive from skipping on pot holes and speed bumps and the like. i was thinking about something as basic as rubber feet or a mouse pad like material and i was even thinking of trying to rig up some type of air suspension system for it.

last but not least, does anyone know of a fully fuctional front end that will allow you to run full screen visualizers from itunes?

Hey your project sounds great!

Heating issues: I have thought I would based on the fact that I mounted it in the center console..but...I have not. If I feel it is getting too hot I just open the lid...but I have not really seen a problem.

Shock Mount. I mounted it with the CD drive pointing up. Don't know if that has helped, but I have not had any skip or HD problems. (I have seen a lot of road construction as well.) I have also ran disk tests to see if any bad sectors have popped up. Nada. Does anyone think that it might be because I mounted with the drive facing up? Don't know.

No front end.... I have found myself bouncing back and forth from iTunes or Ccar. I rely like Ccar to bad devlopment stopped. I am hoping that Front Row will become avalible. If it would work with a mouse instead of a remote I think it could quickly become the front end of choice. But...there are a lot of if's.
    7" Lilliput
    1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
    Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
    Radioshark
    GPS (BU-303)
    Polk MMC 650
    Infinity Kappa 62.7i
    Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

Mine is probably one of the most "cooling challenged" Mini's I've seen. I run Temperature Monitor on it and it announces the temps of the hard drive - no monitors on the CPU itself. I regularly get it up to around 128F and haven't had any problems, although I'll admit it's possible I'm shortening its life.

Mounted horizontally, no padding, secured to the dock and radio cage. No skipping or problems yet. The drives are 2.5" laptops so they're a little hardier and the whole unit is pretty stable.

I haven't restarted the Mini for months and it awakes and plays before the head unit is ready.

Working on a front end with a friend. Otherwise, it's CCar.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I haven't restarted the Mini for months and it awakes and plays before the head unit is ready.
        So, can we say our concerns over extended use of "sleep" mode were unfounded?
        MikeH

Comment

I am actually having some trouble with my mini...some times when I come out to my car in the morning...or some times just a few hours after turning the car off...the mac is actually all the way off and boots from scratch....any ideas guys..MikeH???

Thanks

Doug

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. im really looking forward to getting the build started. i just bought and waiting to recieve all the JL amps and speakers. they should be here any day now. ive been working on getting the setup right on the mini and importing and organizing all my music. much thanks to macosxhints.com for all the hacks and config issues that have been solved there. my mini is screaming fast now that ive upped the ram to 1gb and spent the last few weeks tweaking the heck out of it. last thing will be the xenarc and then its time to get started. ill keep you guys posted as things progress and thanks again for the initial Q&A.

Comment

What kind of hacks did you do to it?

@MikeH - Unfounded from my perspective. Check back this winter when the battery is weakest!
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

does the mini have to have constant power to stay in sleep? My current setup (computer isnt in car yet) has the power to the computer switched with the ignition.) Im going inverter style on the computer.
                2005 Dodge Ram HEMI

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239451

15" LCD touchscreen
                Mac Mini
                6" Headrest monitors
                Modded Xbox

5 PSone screens going in doors
                And another 15" LCD!

Comment

Vero, I just finished my install in a Mazda 3, also in the cavernous glove box. Works great, no cooling issues, pretty similar to your setup - I removed the stock radio, installed the xenarc 700tsv in its place, and fed the mini into a 4 channel amp for speakers and 2 channel amp bridged mono to the sub. Sounds great!

http://www.fastmatt.com/carputer/

Ditto on the front end - I'm spending a lot of time just in iTunes. I just dump everything I might want to hear into a playlist, then start it playing before I drive off. Then on the road I can use my Griffin PowerMate to control volume and scroll through the songs, so that I'm not messing with the touchscreen.

Comment

Working...
                  X