Mac Users check in if you use VPC and gps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Users check in if you use VPC and gps

Are you using VirtualPC? If so what computer are you using, specs? What windows GPS are you using? What GPS?
    Screen shots please

i use my iBook 1ghz, 768RAM, win 2000 using a iTrek (or something) the usual off ebay with Destinator software and MapMonkey, works find, ill post some Screenies later

Comment

oh and it works fine

Comment

I know three is more VPC users out there

Please check in, and post your set up please and post screen shots if you can0l33l

Comment

in oz

vpc 7.0.2, 1.42g/80g/1g ram (512 for vpc which is max permissible). Works well for turn by turn nav with globalsat bt 353 (usb)..maps in this region are crap, but then thats another story :-)

hth

Comment

Just curious...

How long is it taking you guys running GPS apps through VPC to get them running? (from the start of VPC to the GPS app up)

Comment

well i just have VPC save its state, and then i put the comp to sleep, so it just retores its state (5 seconds) and were up and running again

Comment

Come on I know more people are using Virtual PC here, don't be shy, Please pics for us!

Comment

I installed Virtual PC on my new Mac Mini, with Windows xp home. So far it feels really snappy. I don't have the gig of memory yet. i would love to see peoples VPC nav set up. Please post and check in

Comment

Comment

Garmin City Navigator 7 under VPC

I sometimes run Garmin City Navigator 7 under Virtual PC 7.0 with Windows XP Pro or 2000. I use a Garmin GPS V with a serial output which runs to a Keyspan USB-Serial converter. The Keypsan serial device is installed under Mac OS X, and in VPC preferences, I set the Keyspan USB-Serial device to COM port 1 or 2, and then it works fine in City Navigator 7. My Mac Mini is a 1.42Ghz G4 with 1GB of RAM. Unless I want waypoints really bad, I usually stick to roadnav or MacGPSPro though under Mac OS X. But yes it does work to use GPS input under VPC. The Garmin apps are coming to Mac OS X this year anyway though.

Comment

VPC more

Did some more testing with powerbook and mapmonkey.

GPS works really well but occasionaly the audio (when giving direction) breaks up a little.

VPC sleeps and returns to where it was most of the time. However refuses to acknowledge the gps from time to time. The only 'fix' is to disconnect and reconnect gps. This can be a potential show stopper for me..unless I can find a fix/workaround !!

HTH

Comment

Working...
                        X