Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question RE: Non-monitor displays?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question RE: Non-monitor displays?

    I plan on purchasing a mac mini this week or next for my truck..

    However, I don't want to use the standard touch screen monitors if I don't have to. I plan on getting the Kenwood DDX7017 or the Eclipse AVN5435. I'd like to use the mac mini with either deck.

    What do I need to make that happen? The Mac doesn't have video out, right? Just DVI out?

    Do I need a scan convertor? If so, can you recommend one that works great with the mac mini?
    [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
    [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

  • #2
    You can use the Apple DVI-Video converter. There's a guy here who posted about using Front Row on his car's screen. Looking at the pics, I was surprised how good it looked.

    Of course, you won't be able to use the touchscreen to control the mini but a bluetooth mouse or and airclick would do it.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

    Comment


    • #3
      A scan converter will work for what you want to do, yes.
      Whatever method you use to get video to your non-VGA screen, the image will be marginal at best. IT's more likely it will look like ****.
      A computer resolution is higher than even the best TV can support. You can improve quality by lowering resolution as much as possible and tweaking with refresh rates and timings and such, but you'll never get an image as sharp as with a true VGA screen.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bugbyte
        You can use the Apple DVI-Video converter. There's a guy here who posted about using Front Row on his car's screen. Looking at the pics, I was surprised how good it looked.

        Of course, you won't be able to use the touchscreen to control the mini but a bluetooth mouse or and airclick would do it.

        Thank you for the reply.. Do you remember the guys name perhaps?
        [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
        [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

        Comment


        • #5
          Link for anyone else interested..

          http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9267G/A
          [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
          [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DarquePervert
            A scan converter will work for what you want to do, yes.
            Whatever method you use to get video to your non-VGA screen, the image will be marginal at best. IT's more likely it will look like ****.
            A computer resolution is higher than even the best TV can support. You can improve quality by lowering resolution as much as possible and tweaking with refresh rates and timings and such, but you'll never get an image as sharp as with a true VGA screen.
            Well, I only plan on using the mac mini for playing mp3's, etc. The DDX7017 plays dvd's..
            [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
            [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

            Comment


            • #7
              You can do Kenwood -> USB converted which will allow to control your mac from the head unit. And then use voice software which can process the headunit signals.
              Here is the example for PC: http://indashpc.org/vbullettin/viewtopic.php?t=212
              Car pc integration with ease
              Car mediacenter

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jbors
                You can do Kenwood -> USB converted which will allow to control your mac from the head unit. And then use voice software which can process the headunit signals.
                Here is the example for PC: http://indashpc.org/vbullettin/viewtopic.php?t=212
                Wow.. I'm kinda confused.. I read that link, but seems confusing. Does it work with the mac OK?

                Not sure how it applies to the topic though?
                [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
                [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

                Comment

                Working...
                X