Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wait?

    I was getting ready to install a mini in my car and then I started hearing all this stuff about this new mini coming out. You guys think I should wait for the new mini or go ahead with the install?

  • #2
    Yes. Absolutely. Wait. Then wait for the next new Mini to come out. And then for the one after that.

    Any idea when this new Mini is supposed to come out? If it's only a couple of weeks, wait. Otherwise, every second that goes by is another second you don't have a Mini in your car.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

    Comment


    • #3
      hmmm sarchasm? who knows
      Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, I wasn't really trying to be sarcastic. My opinion is that there is always a better model coming. You can wait around for a better one if you want but an even better one will be just around the corner.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

        Comment


        • #5
          I just figured with all this intel mac stuff coming out it should be right around the corner...no? I figured March sometime maybe.

          Comment


          • #6
            i would go with getting it now first because you dont need more than 1.5ghz to run a in-car pc and also most likely software companies or people on the forum arent going to make their software intel only, so unless you REALLY want to have a ton of power in ur macmini, i would just get it now because it is said that it wont come out july 1st anyway which means you would be waiting at least 6 months or more
            2002 Volvo S60 Install Website:
            http://hookid.net/?page_id=17
            On MP3 Car:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97014

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hookid
              most likely software companies or people on the forum arent going to make their software intel only
              For the stuff we are doing (assuming the developer is using 10.4.4 and the latest xcode), it's a few changes to your compile settings to generate a Universal binary and I don't know if the AS guys even need that.

              As far as other companies, it depends what you need/want. If you want VPC for GPS/Nav, then you are SOL for awhile (wasn't it like a year that M$ drug their feet on the G5 version?), but most things will work (although slower) via Rosetta (drivers and anything that does low level work are the exceptions).

              I would agree with BugByte, but I would add that if you aren't ready to install it, wait until you are and see what is what then.

              -dave
              My pathetic worklog.
              CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

              Comment


              • #8
                i'd wait, but its totaly up to you, all the macs will be going intel in the next few months, and there are rumors that the mac mini will be going intel in april. so wait it out for sure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes wait for april when the new ones could possibly show up

                  And (I'm a mac User since 86 and love them) then as usual Apple sucks at delivering and you have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get hold of one.

                  So hmmm that means april + 6 weeks, that's right you'll be fine to get it for the holliday season when you'll have plenty of time to install it.

                  I think now the problem is are you ready or not.

                  If you've done the implementation of your screen and other stuff I'll say go for it.

                  Otherwise start fabricating and maybe you'll finidh in time just to integrate the new one.

                  But then who'says the new one is to be the same form factor
                  Intel seems to heat more than the G4, and if the new ones integrate the iPod dock maybe you'll want to install it differently

                  So bite the bullit and make up your options and as said Bugbyte, I once waited to renew when I was waiting back then for a color Mac, and I waited a long time.

                  Now I don't care if a new one is along the corner
                  The time I'm enjoying the current one, I'm using it and not waiting computerless and one important thing, my grandfather always said to me never buy revision 0, this is in effect what you would be buying with the new one.

                  For me the decision is easy. But then it's me I'm not you

                  Ca55e5a

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by super-fly
                    I just figured with all this intel mac stuff coming out it should be right around the corner...no? I figured March sometime maybe.
                    As far as I know (from this forum and others) Intel Mac Mini is coming out not before end of this year and not gonna be Core Duo as well. The rumorer is here since May 2005 (as far as I can remember) but still there was no announcement in the this year's MacExpo. But by the year 2007 - all the Mac will be running on Intel. I'd only wait if the new version was coming soon and with integrated TV tuner (as rumored, again). Cheers!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well I guess I could get the screen in and see whats up then. Beyond that if I start fabing everything for the mini and then the new one comes out and the dimensions are different I'm screwed. It would be really cool to have the TV tuner though. Thats really one of the main things one the new mini I was excited about. That and the intel processor. I don't really care about the ipod dock that much.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by super-fly
                        It would be really cool to have the TV tuner though. Thats really one of the main things one the new mini I was excited about.
                        Don't get your hopes up too much. That is a strong rumor, but still just a rumor. Remember that according to all the rumors leading up to it, the Mini was a lock to be one of the first Intel Macs.

                        Until it is anounced and available on the Apple Store website, don't hold your breath on either when it might come or what it might be when it does.

                        -dave
                        My pathetic worklog.
                        CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was thinking too that with all the new stuff it's suppose to have (DVR,TV tuner etc.) won't the price go up significantly. Also with talks of them using a 3.5" hardrive instead of the 2.5" laptop harddrive this will also increase the size of the mini.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anyway, I just talk to Apple UK Sales and still they don't have any news for Intel Mac Mini. I'm not sure about USA.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ca55e5a
                              [snip]...and one important thing, my grandfather always said to me never buy revision 0, this is in effect what you would be buying with the new one.
                              Actually, I think this is the best argument for NOT waiting. This isn't like going from a G4 to a G5 chip inside and you ought to consider the Intel version to be beta at best. Maybe they'll surprise us and it will work flawlessly but I wouldn't actually bet on it.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X