Mac Prius!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Prius!

So my goal was to get a mac working on my Prius's MFD display, and be able to use it's touch screen to control the front end (currently Front Row)

I don't have audio hooked up, figured the video would be the hardest part.

I'm going through a Can-View which normally is just used for display the car's CAN data http://hybridinterfaces.ca/, but has RGB+S in and outputs the MFD's touchscreen through a serial cable.

I tried using SwitchResX to output the 640x480 at 15.75khz with no luck (got it working with powerstrip on a pc) Ended up buying a used scan converter off of ebay that outputs RGB+S.

Wrote a perl script to listen to the serial port (keyspan USB->serial converter) and sends Front Row commands through apple script. Broke the screen up into a 3x3 grid (9 boxes) Up, Down, Left, Right, center for enter/play/pause, and left top for menu/escape.

Here is what I have so far. This is just the prototype phase. I need to figure out audio, and then I'll actually get a mac mini and try to hide all the components.

http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

Now that is just flat out awesome. Props to you! I love the quicktime video of it in action.

You sir, are no n00b
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

That looks great and very easy to use. I am with Bug on the fact that you showed the interface in a quicktime movie. Very cool.

Comment

Very cool, but what about all the MFG systems that are controled through that interface? Do you have a way to switch between yours and theirs?

-dave
        My pathetic worklog.
        CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by iamgnat
          Very cool, but what about all the MFG systems that are controled through that interface? Do you have a way to switch between yours and theirs?

-dave
          Yeah all that still works. I hit the audio button twice to get the video input screen. Audio frist press is the radio, second press is the video screen. This is all controlled by the CAN-View. The cool thing with the canview is it can also spit out the car's CAN data (formatted) through the serial port I'm reading the touch screen data from. With that I could build a nice interface on the mac showing all the Prius's inner workings. I'll get their one day.

Check out that hybrid interfaces site, the Can-View is really awsome (Prius only). http://hybridinterfaces.ca/

Comment

how do you go back? do you have an escape button on the dash?
            Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby
              how do you go back? do you have an escape button on the dash?
              Go back to the normal Prius screens? Just hit any of the normal buttons any prius user would hit to see that screen.

Not only that, but all the popups (volume adjustments, tempurature, etc) that the prius normally can put over the display will still work. NAV audio still works too.

The only difference is hit Info 3 times to cycle to the CAN-View screens, and hit Audio twice to get to the video input screens.

Comment

I've added a lot more detail to the page

Originally posted by jkusnetz

Here is what I have so far. This is just the prototype phase. I need to figure out audio, and then I'll actually get a mac mini and try to hide all the components.

Lots more details on what I've done so far.

Comment

good job, will this work with all touch screens?
                  Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Code now available

Originally posted by jkusnetz
                    Lots more details on what I've done so far.
                    I've gone ahead and posted my code now. It's ugly, but it's there

Comment

hey anyone have the program to hack Front Row, Andrew's site has been shut down by apple. anyone have it for me to download or get in an emal. thanks.

Comment

further progress

I've been making slow but steady progress.

Audio has been working for awhile, and I've finally started working on mounting the mini into the prius. Check out the site for some pics of prius destruction

Comment

Working...
                        X