Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP on a Intel Mac Mini

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XP on a Intel Mac Mini

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/15/x...ctel-the-movie
    Since they figured out how to boot Windows XP on intel macs, people on the forum can now install windows xp on their new mac mini's. One problem is hardware drivers, will everything still work? Like GPS and all.
    2002 Volvo S60 Install Website:
    http://hookid.net/?page_id=17
    On MP3 Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97014

  • #2
    why.... would... you... want... tooo........?

    lol
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

    Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

    Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

    __________________
    CarPC Newbs Start Here: All your questions answered, as if by E.S.P.

    Comment


    • #3
      The whole reason i have a mac mini and not a mini pc is because i don't want windows. but to answer your question. the drivers will probably more then probably have to written. they didn't work by default when the were putting mac os x on pc's, so i assume the same

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tj!2k4
        why.... would... you... want... tooo........?

        lol
        becuz at the exact momemnt there is no good frontend to use, so they could use windows xp until a good one is finally released.
        2002 Volvo S60 Install Website:
        http://hookid.net/?page_id=17
        On MP3 Car:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97014

        Comment


        • #5
          Just get an AOpen Pandora then.

          Comment


          • #6
            or linux. Screw billy.
            Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
            planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
            parts___[++++++----] around 60%
            install___[-----------] -9,000%

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CArringt
              The whole reason i have a mac mini and not a mini pc is because i don't want windows. but to answer your question. the drivers will probably more then probably have to written. they didn't work by default when the were putting mac os x on pc's, so i assume the same
              Actually the reason all the drivers are having to be rewritten for OSX is due to the change from the PPC architecture to Intel. Unless something (like Windows itself) is directly trying to access the BIOS, then it should just work.

              "Damn i'm lost, let me reboot to Windows so I can use the GPS..."

              -dave
              My pathetic worklog.
              CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hookid
                becuz at the exact momemnt there is no good frontend to use, so they could use windows xp until a good one is finally released.
                seems like an awful lot of work to have to get everything working for windows, configure all the software, and then re-do it all again for the osx frontend... doesn't it? put the effort into assisting with the mac frontend.
                Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

                Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

                Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

                __________________
                CarPC Newbs Start Here: All your questions answered, as if by E.S.P.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You can sell the mini mac and assemble a pc. It would make your pc more stable and faster. Dont put windows on your mac or don't install osx on your carpc cause you can't be sure that you ever going to be able to install and use anything you need in car. There will be errors like most common one "Unknown error" or error "6351435135132165468543512" or blue screens. There would happen the same things with xp runnin on an assembled pc but less than xp on mac.

                  I love mac but i think for in the car you have to go for pc to customize your pc for what do you need and how in the car. Compatible for many third part products.
                  ibus error
                  GTA skin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I love mac but i think for in the car you have to go for pc to customize your pc for what do you need and how in the car. Compatible for many third part products.[/QUOTE]

                    I just went thru this debate myself, but with the PC you have to BUY the OS, and all the other software you would need GPS, some sort of media solution etc... with Mac, you have itunes and all the stuff in development is free, you just have to be patient.

                    Also... NO VIRUSES! Yippie!

                    Screw Billy!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LightningMac
                      I just went thru this debate myself, but with the PC you have to BUY the OS, and all the other software you would need GPS, some sort of media solution etc...
                      With the Mac, you buy the OS and machine as one and usually overpay for the machine because you can only buy it from Apple. You still need the GPS. You still need to buy all the other software you need but there's vastly less choice. There are plenty of free media solutions (ever heard of windows media player?). I'm not seeing the distinction. At least, not in the Mac's favor...
                      Originally posted by LightningMac
                      with Mac, you have itunes and all the stuff in development is free, you just have to be patient.
                      Hmm, I could have sworn you could use iTunes on a PC (not that I care). Regardless, there are plenty of alternative sources for music that are basically the same and cost the same. The front end stuff in development has plenty of free versions and a lot more choices. I'm not seeing a distinction. At least, not in the Mac's favor.
                      Originally posted by LightningMac
                      Also... NO VIRUSES! Yippie!
                      You stay in your nice deluded world. You and all the linux geeks who claim the same thing. It's safer for the rest of us if you don't come near us - we might catch something.
                      Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                      Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                      Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arathranar
                        With the Mac, you buy the OS and machine as one and usually overpay for the machine because you can only buy it from Apple. You still need the GPS. You still need to buy all the other software you need but there's vastly less choice. There are plenty of free media solutions (ever heard of windows media player?). I'm not seeing the distinction. At least, not in the Mac's favor...

                        Well let's see now... can you burn a DVD with a PC using windows? NO, can you edit a movie on Windows NO can you edit photos with windows NO, all this and the OS are FREE on a mac, since you get a install disc and it is also installed on the Mac, and available seperately, I wouldn't say you buy the OS and Mac as ONE, it's free with the Mac. The only thing you can get free with Uncle Billy's OS is a virus or spyware my friend Also Macs are built better and retain thier value longer

                        Hmm, I could have sworn you could use iTunes on a PC (not that I care). Regardless, there are plenty of alternative sources for music that are basically the same and cost the same. The front end stuff in development has plenty of free versions and a lot more choices. I'm not seeing a distinction. At least, not in the Mac's favor.

                        BASICALLY? Cost the Same? FREE? show me a free way to burn DVD's or create them, show me a free editing suite for photos, show me a free movie editing software, that is bundled with the PC as well as with the OS, and we'll talk *you're generalizing*

                        You stay in your nice deluded world. You and all the linux geeks who claim the same thing. It's safer for the rest of us if you don't come near us - we might catch something.
                        I'll stay in my Mac world, and you can take your PC with it's spyware and viruses and hang out in a non-Mac forum, thankyouverymuchandhaveaniceday

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't think you would have problems with spyware and virusses in a car pc.

                          Mac doesn't have too much software and what you get with your osx wouldn't come that handy if you are in the car. And if you don't want to pay for os just don't. Who carez.

                          PC's are more compatible with 3rd party products and cables.
                          PC parts are cheaper and easy to replace. Mac parts are expensive and you don't have too much choice.
                          ibus error
                          GTA skin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by redbullah
                            I don't think you would have problems with spyware and virusses in a car pc.

                            Mac doesn't have too much software and what you get with your osx wouldn't come that handy if you are in the car. And if you don't want to pay for os just don't. Who carez.

                            PC's are more compatible with 3rd party products and cables.
                            PC parts are cheaper and easy to replace. Mac parts are expensive and you don't have too much choice.
                            i dont normally like to criticise but the ignorance of this comment astounds me.

                            clearly you have never even seen a mac let alone used one, i have 3 macs with osx(UNIX) and 5 pcs with xp and if id take the macs anytime, have you ever heard of USB or FIREWIRE, i plug in something to my mac and it works windows 10 updates and a week later it may work.

                            i know its just preaching to the converted but i wish you luck with this fantasy, and if you want to take a look at the future of windows and the pc i suggest a trip to the apple store to see where theyll be in 2 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by redbullah
                              I don't think you would have problems with spyware and virusses in a car pc.

                              Mac doesn't have too much software and what you get with your osx wouldn't come that handy if you are in the car. And if you don't want to pay for os just don't. Who carez.

                              PC's are more compatible with 3rd party products and cables.
                              PC parts are cheaper and easy to replace. Mac parts are expensive and you don't have too much choice.
                              if you hook your carpc us to any internet connection or get email on it (which some people do) you are a target to get a virus.

                              the software I mentioned would cost several hundreds of dollars on a pc (though you're right you wouldn't need them in a car pc) there are thousands of Mac programs out there and there is nothing you can't buy for a Mac software wise that you buy for a PC. You don't have to buy parts for a Mac because they don't break down as much as PCs do. Macs work so you don't need a choice in getting parts and they hold thier value more and longer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X