TatraApp worklog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TatraApp worklog

With the new iWeb, I finally do not have an excuse for my laziness, so I will be posting notes about my progress to following address from time to time:

http://web.mac.com/jirka.jirout/iWeb...tra/Tatra.html

I will try to post more significant changes and updates here as well, but the worklog should be update on a more regular basis.

app

can you turn that into a runable amp?
    Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Ahoj Jirko,

gratuluju k perfektnímu výsledku. Řekl bych že tvoje aplikačka zjevně strčí do kapsy všechny ty ostatní pokusy amatérů z Mac sekce.

Comment

So I played with the application again. The brushed metal look is completely gone now and the look of the application can now be partially customized (images are used for backgrounds of the modules and the main window and they can be easily switched). I am now working on the mail interface and some presentable version of Phone module that works better with Bluetooth phones (the current one has problems with Sony Ericsson P9xx and some Nokia handsets).
        Attached Files

Comment

Jirka,
          Can you please post a link to the new download?
          In addition, I have recently posted about getting a mac to output 30hz as the refresh rate, do you know how this can be done?
          Mac Mini BMW -- Done! (but always in progress) -- TOTALLED -- Damn lady didn't "see" the redlight

Comment

A new version can be found here:

http://homepage.mac.com/jirka.jirout...App-060720.zip

Main changes are:
            - completely changed look (customizable background, semi-transparent sheets, modules are using graphical buttons)
            - can be controlled using mouse scroll wheel (to allow custom-built controllers based on mouse electronics)
            - improved support for iPod (now checks for newly attached iPod every 10 seconds)
            - fixed some bugs (wrong button-action connections) in MP3 player module
            - total distance module now shows remaining distance to maintenance (oil, brake pads etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout
              - improved support for iPod (now checks for newly attached iPod every 10 seconds)
              Jirka,
              You are actively scanning for it? Why not listen for the NSWorkspace (I think that is where they are) notification about when volumes are (un)mounted? I believe there are notifications for when disks are attached even if they don't mount anything (i.e. non-disk mode iPods), but i've never looked at that.

-dave
              My pathetic worklog.
              CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

how do i make it work? i'm so lost, so many files. is there an app that i just click?
                Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by iamgnat
                  Jirka,
                  You are actively scanning for it?
                  This is what I am doing:
                  Code:
                  -(NSArray*)refreshSources{
                      NSMutableArray *tmpsources = [NSMutableArray array];
                      NSAppleEventDescriptor *asResult = [[[[NSAppleScript alloc] initWithSource:@"tell application \"iTunes\" to get name of every source whose kind is not radio tuner"] autorelease] executeAndReturnError:nil];
                      int i = 1;
                      int numberOfItems = [asResult numberOfItems];
                      while (i <= numberOfItems){
                  	[tmpsources addObject: [[asResult descriptorAtIndex:i] stringValue]];
                  	i++;
                      }

sources = [[NSArray arrayWithArray:tmpsources] retain];
                      [self performSelector:_cmd withObject:nil afterDelay:10]; // detect the newly added sources (iPod)
                  }
                  Why not listen for the NSWorkspace (I think that is where they are) notification about when volumes are (un)mounted? I believe there are notifications for when disks are attached even if they don't mount anything (i.e. non-disk mode iPods), but i've never looked at that.
                  -dave
                  I do not care about volumes. I play back the content of the iPod thru iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout
                    Code:
                    -(NSArray*)refreshSources{
                        NSAppleEventDescriptor *asResult = [[[[NSAppleScript alloc] initWithSource:@"tell application \"iTunes\" to get name of every source whose kind is not radio tuner"] autorelease] executeAndReturnError:nil];
                    I do not care about volumes. I play back the content of the iPod thru iTunes.
                    Well that makes sense then

Bit of advise, create an AppleScript object and compile it in your init method, then call the execute method on it in this method. You are taking the hit of recompiling the script every ten seconds. AppleScript is notoriously slow and the Obj-C compile of a script is even more so.

Given that you are only checking every ten seconds, you probably won't notice a performance change. But if you ever speed it up you won't see as much of an impact to your system as you would in the current form.

Just a thought

-dave
                    My pathetic worklog.

Comment

Wouldn't it make the most sense to call refreshSources after it detects the mounting or unmounting of a volume? Because.. A volume would be mounted or unmounted when a user connects or disconnects an iPod. So if they connect an iPod, it triggers the volume mounted notification, and then your app would refresh the list of sources.

It seems that would make the most sense? As of now, you refresh it every 10 seconds, but 99% of the time nothing will have changed (ie, it's a waste of time)??
                      -

Comment

why does no body tell me how to run the app...I is so sad.

Comment

Originally posted by aychamo
                          It seems that would make the most sense? As of now, you refresh it every 10 seconds, but 99% of the time nothing will have changed (ie, it's a waste of time)??
                          iPod's don't have to have disk mode enabled for you to be able to listen to the music via iTunes. I believe the is another ("disk connected") notification that could be used to fit your suggestion though, but i'm not positive as I haven't looked closely (I know there are commands to get a list of the connected disks (that aren't mounted), but I am not positive about a notification).

-dave
                          My pathetic worklog.

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby
                            why does no body tell me how to run the app...I is so sad.
                            Is there a file with the extention similar to ".xcodeproject" in the unziped directory? If so, you need to compile it with XCode. Otherwise, I haven't downloaded it yet so I have no idea.

-dave
                            My pathetic worklog.

Comment

ok, here goes the binary...

http://homepage.mac.com/jirka.jirout...nary060721.zip

And by the way, I have forgotten to mention one change - the movie player is now an internal part of the system menu module, although it by far not finished (default look of buttons + strange behaviour of responder chain)

Comment

Working...
                              X