Mini Hack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Hack

Ok this is more related to a mini hack and not to specifically a hack for my car. Indeed this mac mini is in my car, but i want to make it look better. Okay. I want to make the apple on top of the mini glow like it does on power books. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this or knows how i should go about it.
    Thanks
    Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

On Powerbooks, the apple logo is basically a hole in the back of the screen that lets the backlight shine through. Since a Mini doesn't have a backlight, you'd probably have to do something like getting the gray logo-paint off the inside of the top case, putting some kind of diffuser (frosted plastic or paper) underneath the logo, and then mounting some LEDs or cold cathodes below that.

Comment

The lid of the mini is metal with the white plastic insert over it. There are two cutouts for the bluetooth and the WiFi connection. Both antennas are surrounded by metalized foam that isolates them from the EMI inside the Mini and allows reception. You can see one of them here:

If you cut a hole in the top of your Mini, it will allow the electrical noise from inside the Mini to leak out. Whether that is significant or not, I don't know.

In addition, the top of the Mini sits flush with the top of the CD/DVD drive, leaving very little, if any, space to put a light behind it.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks guys, lots of help. I figured that it was the back light off the monitor, but since i am putting this in a show car, thought i would ask. I thouhg it would like very good if possible. I will keep searching. Sine the bottom of the mini will not be seen I could possibly have the lid a tad higher than normal. thank you.
        Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

el sheet?

electrolumination is real thin & does't require diffusion.... not real bright though.... it will glow...
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

where would i get this?

Comment

ebay

Comment

Ya, an EL sheet would be best, but it won't be while, but rather greenish.
                (I haven't seen a white EL sheet)

You shouldn't get any extra EMI anyways, as the DVD player is right on top, and it's a good enough sheild.

Comment

got one

got a white one on ebay, waiting for it to arive

Comment

EMI should not be a big deal.... most individual components are shielded....

Check out anotehr thread on EMI:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73263
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

no emi from an el sheet.....

Comment

please post pics of your post installation if you don't mind, thx.

Comment

when i finish i will, not much work to be done so kinda a waste of time to post pics of me opening the mini.

Comment

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/383/2/

.. hope it's usefull

Comment

Kind of cool. If you are into that kind of thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mac mini b4 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2252462

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2252463
                              I would have sandblasted the acrylic though, definitely.
                              (All done)
                              iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Working...
                              X