Mac mini power pinouts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac mini power pinouts?

Does anyone have the pinouts of the mini power, prefereably the intel one. I want to figure out if there is a way I can use my m2-atx to power the mini. If I cant what is out there that will work?

*sniffle* No one knows? Other than carnetix how can I power my mini in the car??

Comment

M2-ATX won't work. The Mini uses both 19 and 13 volts.

You can use an inverter if you don't want to use a P1900.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Check here. Supposedly you need an extra resistor in the "iSense" wire for the Intel Mini.

Comment

Intel Mini Power

Hey,

The Mini has an extra wire in the power adapter, a gray one, that the mini uses to insure it has the right power source. The Carnetix 1900 has a white (iSense) wire that is soldered to this gray wire. With the intel minis you need a 6.8k resistor soldered to it.

http://www.carnetix.com/p1900/P1900P...os/photo2.html

I don't know if the m2-atx power supply has this wire or how you can replicate the iSense wire.

Comment

I am not really familiar with the carnetix. Are they also a startup shutdown controller as well? Can I power the lilli with it? Thanks

Comment

Yes, and yes, that's how mine is set up. You can even get a point of load output at 5 volts to run your USB hub if you want. Go to Carnetix to find out about it.

@gmachine35 - The M2-ATX is designed for PC's that use an ATX power supply. It outputs several voltages but not the 19 that the Mini needs. It won't work with the Mini.
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

Bugbyte, thanks for the clarification on the M2-atx

I have the P1900 with a dual core mini in my car, so far it works great. Be sure to get a powered USB hub for your peripherals or else they will wake the mini up when it is supposed to be sleeping so the P1900 will cut power to it when the ignition is off.

Comment

So lemme get something straight here. I cant have any usb devices pluged into the mini else it will wake up? Also I want to put the mini into hibernate not sleep. Can the p1900 do that? Thanks

Comment

Also guys reading on their site, does it come with the power cable for the mini? If not where can I pick one up? Thanks

Comment

skippy911, macs don't hibernate, only sleep. Sleep doesn't draw much power at all so I wouldn't be concerned.

The P1900 does NOT come with a power cable for the mini, you have to cut your stock Apple power adapter. You can put Molex ends on it so that you can use it in the car and in the house.

http://www.carnetix.com/p1900/P1900P...ini/index.html

The reason I am getting a powered usb hub to be controlled by the P1900 is that I have USB devices that are always on, exp USB touch screen and USB GPS, its these devices not the keyboard/mouse that wake the mini up from sleep. If the P1900 detects that the mini is not asleep 1 minute after shutting off the ignition it cuts the power to the mini because it is drawing too much current. That is why it is important that it stay asleep.

Comment

So the touchscreen and gps wake up the mini even after the car is off? Thats crazy. I plan to have the mini in my car in a dock like bugbyte made since I also want to use it in the house. I will have usb gps, usb touchscreen but thats about it for usb devices. I plan to use the dualboot to switch to windows if I ever want to use the gps, else ill use the mac side for the music and such. Did you get the special thing carnetix makes to add a 3rd output? I amthinking of getting that since I want to power my gps/ts, monitor and mac mini but I dont want the mini to keep waking up.

Comment

Skippy, yes they will wake it up and that will cause the P1900 to power off the mini. The P1900 simply tells the mini to go to sleep with the mini power switch cable, it will also wake it up when you turn on the ignition. You might want to put a valet switch inline from the ignition to the P1900 so it doesn't always power on.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=108

Connect the wires from the switch to the Green output on the P1900 and the Second Ground (Black).

This is how you open the mini:

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/456.html

I just got the 3rd output addon from MP3car and a powered USB hub from newegg the other day, haven't had a chance to install it yet. My primary output on the P1900 drives the mini, the second my Xenarc 7" touch screen, and the third will power the USB hub so it only gets power when the ignition is on, so no chance of waking up the mini when its sleeping with the ignition off.

I put a molex connector, the kind you would find on an internal harddrive or cd rom in your computer so I could use the mini inside the house and in the car. An adapter with at least 6 pins would be best because because there are 3 wires to power the mini, and the other 2 for the turn on cable.

You can get molex connectors with more pins from www.mouser.com like this one

http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/mole...=n&bt=NETSCAPE

Comment

Could you throw up a few pics of the power connector you made? That sounds like it would work perfectly. Also I heard there is a way to open the mini using wires instead of a putty knife since the knife method can fudge up the case. Any idea where to find that? I google but found notta.

EDIT: Found the wire method looks like a real PITA hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy911
                              So the touchscreen and gps wake up the mini even after the car is off? Thats crazy.
                              Well, it's crazy for your car. Remember that the Mini is not designed for car use. The wake on USB activity is so you can touch a key on the keyboard to wake up the machine. Or like on my Apple monitor, there's a wake up button. Very convenient IN YOUR HOUSE where it doesn't matter if the computer wakes up unexpectedly. In the car, different story.

You can keep this from happening by carefully cutting the 5 volt supply wire in the USB cord to your powered hub. Then your USB devices won't have any way to operate when the computer is off and won't wake it. When you start the car, the hub will power up the devices.

If you're worried about screwing up the case, put painter's tape (that blue masking tape) around it when you open it so it doesn't scratch. I've opened mine twice with no problem.

I have to say that even though the USB devices remain powered (ahem, just like on the Via Epia boards), the sleep feature on the Mini is the greatest improvement to my system since I switched to Mac. It awakes instantly and is playing music in 3-5 seconds. I usually haven't buckled my seat belt and put the car in gear before it's on.

Unfortunately, you have to buy another power brick if you want another connector. Search this forum for a source. Someone posted a link on it awhile ago. I got mine for around $45.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X