No announcement yet.

Another one down the line : driveXpress

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one down the line : driveXpress

Hi guys,

I’ve done the same silly thing and started my own project, hoping that I gonna see it in a car one day. I am comparatively vary new in this particular field, so you may find several silly mistakes in this app but I’m trying my best to make it better. Here is a couple of screenshots for you to have look (and comments) and a download like at the bottom, just to tell me whether I should carry on coding or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MainPage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2297281

This is the opening screen - the center of the screen (where the car logo is) will be used as a multifunctional display unit to provide various information time to time and a clock when it’s idle for a certain period. Partly done so far.

Name:	AutoClock.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2297282

Car logo will be changed to this analogue clock after a certain period if inactivity. Presently it’s 5 see (for testing purpose) and hard coded. I plan to make it user configurable from the preference pane. Presently users can select the desired time zone and the transparency level of the clock (by clicking the very last button).

Name:	WorldTime.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	2297279

A WorldClock (just for fun), can be accessed by clicking the corner of the LCD clock on the main sereen. A 12 month calender will come later.

Name:	PhotoPage.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2297278

A simple photo viewer, not done yet. It’s a static image, just to get an idea how does it look.

Name:	MusicPage.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2297280

Now, it's time for some Music. I think, this the “most wanted” screen for most of the users and I plane to make it like this. I didn’t started working on this yet but all the buttons are clickable (without doing anything), just try the click effects.

Name:	AddressBook.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2253317

This is my Address Book. Presently I’m working on it. Not finished yet but mostly completed. I’m also having some problem with the customized selection bar (the red one around MJ); not sure how to do that. And the search option is partly working. I’ve added an OSK (a scale down version, only for the address book search). It’s not fully working with NSView object but the search is fully working using the physical keyboard. I need some help.

Name:	Internet.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2253318

Here is a very simple web browser – nothing sophisticated but can do most of the tasks. There is small preference window for the browser for changing the home page and few other options.

I’ve started this Xcode/Cocoa stuffs just a little more than two months ago, so my experience should be considered as zero. Whatever I’ve done so far, it wouldn’t be possible with out any help from Jirka Jirout – he helped me a lot to write most of the code. So, if anything good comes out, someday, you have to thank Jirka. Mean time, please download (from here) and the try this small demo and give me some feedback, especially about the practicality and usability in a car. I still don’t have a touch screen in my car, so I appreciate if anyone put this small app in the car and tell me how does it look in real and how is the visibility in the day light. If you guys like this, then I’ll continue other wise I’ll drop it. I’ve lazy enough to do something only for myself.

Thank you very much for your comments and advices. Cheers!!!

ill tell ya what.. if you can get that 100% working i will kiss you THATS BLOODY AWSOME

looks great man!!! Keep up the work. how did you do the browser?

very nice.

i like this one best.

any chance of doign ODBII?
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Originally posted by CArringt
              looks great man!!! Keep up the work. how did you do the browser?
              Well, that was the one of the easiest one to make just take the WebView object and connect the buttons to its pre-defined sets of Target/Actions (e.g. GoBack, GoForward etc.) and you done. Thus, youll get the most basic browser without writing even a line of code.

Originally posted by sdashiki
                any chance of doign ODBII?
                Yeah, other wise there is no meaning of doing this. I have plan to do that too, but as I told earlier, Im still learning and doing so simply I wont be able to do such stuffs as fast as you guys do. But Ill do that by sure if I get inspired by you people.

Looks nice! Pretty graphics!
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Great work, looks like it will be awesome.

wow i think i just craped my pants! This looks verry professional great job with the graphics. All the features sound great and just so you know if you even think of disapearing I will kill you! lol jk but I really would like to see this one go all the way

Thanks for encouraging me to carry on my work. I’m trying my best to invest as much as time (also, not neglecting my office) I can to write more and more codes.

But, I actually need some practical feedback - this is very important. Did anybody try to put this app in the car yet, or anyone wants to do that shortly? I'm very much interested to know if it looks okay on a 7”/8” screen in the day time and at night and how well “touch screen” stuffs work. As far as I understand, my car dealer will take another 3/4 weeks to decide if they can install the Mini and the screen (or if its even possible) in my car and God knows how long they gonna take for the installation after that, if they think its possible. So, it gonna take a while for me to check myself. If I have to change some basic stuff then it’s better to modify now before I go any further. I really appreciate your assistances. Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by MacUsers
                          Did anybody try to put this app in the car yet, or anyone wants to do that shortly? I'm very much interested to know if it looks okay on a 7/8 screen in the day time and at night
                          I did try it on my 6.5" industrial LCD in the car (not the app, just screenshots). It is rather good as night-time GUI, but unusable at daytime (and I have tinted windows, that absorb 80% of the light!).

Since I do not use touchscreen, I can't help you much with that part.

I checked on short run to airport this morning (outward in the dark, return in daylight - not bright sunshine), alongside frontrow on 7" (800x484) touch screen. Would expect its not as bright as JJ's industrial lcd. I also don't have a tint btw.

Its nice in relative darkness with the dark lettering however, its likely to be tricky to operate on a touch screen with the buttons for the peripheral screens as they are in different locations. However, I suspect once you get used to it, this may be less of an issue (the location I mean). One could overcome this by having all the controls in one location regardless of the menu item (radio, tv, video, audio). Getting back to another section via current menu could be tricky initially. You could increase the available real estate (space) on the screen by moving the menu button to the top. You could integrate this with the existing driveXpress "logo". Say, make the logo slightly bigger and make it a button (guess it would not need to have the words "menu").

The main buttons are nice and large and easily operated via the touch screen. Confirmation with audio is a very nice touch. Perhaps even (a click) when a button is clicked (like front row) might be neat and increase the experience.

I did not use the browser as I dont have connectivity (as yet) with wireless being prohibitively expensive in these parts.

In summary, its a great app with huge potential !! Keep up the great work.

Also is anyone tells you its not possible to install a mini or other computer, dont believe them, just find another installer :-) Where are you located ?

Feel free to holler if you want any info, feedback ! Would be happy to send you more info, notes/diags etc (PM your contact info).

rgds, raceer

lookin sweeeeeeet!!! any chance it can fit on a 15" monitor?
                              2005 Dodge Ram HEMI

15" LCD touchscreen
                              Mac Mini
                              6" Headrest monitors
                              Modded Xbox

5 PSone screens going in doors
                              And another 15" LCD!