Intel Mini and standby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Mini and standby?

Just wondering if anyone who has Windows XP running on the Intel Mini with the P1900, knows if u can put it into standby?

windows dosnt have a standby i dont think. or does it?
    Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Yes, Windoze has a standby if the hardware supports it.
      On a regular PC, there are power settings in the BIOS configuration to enable standby mode.
      I don't know if there's an equivilant on a Mac Mini, though.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

OSX and Windows when it comes to sleep, are vastly different.

Windows standby keeps the CPU and everthing running, but shuts off the monitor. Windows hibernate shuts everything off, and takes at least 10sec+ to come back (windows is restarting and whatnot)

OSX sleep....shuts everything off, and upon wake turns right back on in about 2 secs.

I havent seen anything on an Intel mac besides the OSX sleep.
        (All done)
        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Sleep in windows is not the way to go. Using my p1900 I setup windows to go into hibernate. When I boot into osx it goes into sleep. Hope this answers your question.

Comment

This is why I like OSX better than windows for a carputer.

Instant wake from sleep.
            (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
              OSX and Windows when it comes to sleep, are vastly different.

Windows standby keeps the CPU and everthing running, but shuts off the monitor. Windows hibernate shuts everything off, and takes at least 10sec+ to come back (windows is restarting and whatnot)

OSX sleep....shuts everything off, and upon wake turns right back on in about 2 secs.

I havent seen anything on an Intel mac besides the OSX sleep.
              Acutally sleep in windows turns off everything and supplies a small amount of power to the ram, this way the PC can resume in < 4seconds just like the mac.

Comment

thanks for your replies. but as Kalt says
                Acutally sleep in windows turns off everything and supplies a small amount of power to the ram, this way the PC can resume in < 4seconds just like the mac.
                I was wondering if this was possible on the mac.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by smkau18
                  thanks for your replies. but as Kalt says

I was wondering if this was possible on the mac.

cheers
                  dood, yer own quote answers yer question.
                  (All done)

Comment

Here's the deal. On the Mac, there are only a couple of options; Shut Down, Sleep, Restart. It is possible to do something equivalent to Hibernate in Windows, but it is a hack and I don't know of anyone doing it.

-----Windows-------------Mac Equivalent

1...Shut Down................Shut Down
                    2...Suspend..................Sleep
                    3...Restart..................Restart
                    4...Hibernate.................Safe Sleep*

*Available on recent Powerbooks
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

The Mac equivalent of Hibernate is Safe Sleep - basically it saves what's in RAM to the HD, then goes to sleep, and if it loses power while it's asleep then it just uses the hard drive image next time you wake it up. I've actually generally found waking from Safe Sleep to be faster than from Hibernate, even with four times the amount of RAM.

Comment

Post corrected. This article describes safe sleep, which is available on recent powerbooks and is possible to enable on the Mini.

It still requires use of the terminal to modify Open Firmware and to enable Safe Sleep.

It also appears that you can set it to two different modes, instant safe sleep, or sleep followed by safe sleep. Instant safe sleep is exactly that, the computer goes into safe sleep right away.

The other mode is sleep, then safe sleep if the battery gets low. When they say "battery", they mean the Powerbook battery. So it's not clear to me if this is either useful or desirable for car PC use on a Mini.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I would guess that the "safe sleep if the battery is low" thing is basically "safe sleep if there's no power left" and hence "safe sleep if the Mini's power source is disconnected."

Comment

ok thanks for all your advice.

Comment

Actually there are various levels of standby states which includes hibernate on Windows based systems and can be changed easily in the BIOS on most modern systems (not sure about Mac yet - Intel Mac Mini on order). Just FYI...

The standby states number from S1 to S5.

S1 or "Stopgrant" or "SuspendCPU" is pretty much just a halting of the CPU itself. Power is on in the CPU, but the CPU stops processing cycles. Many components in the system can also be shutdown that support low power modes. Almost all x86 based systems use this setting by default.

S2 as far as I can remember is not used anymore, but if I am not correct was a lot like S3 and hard to tell the difference really.

S3 or "Suspend to RAM" is the next most common sleep state. It can be the cause of more problems on coming out of sleep since any component in the system not handling S3 state correctly can cause a hang/lockup. This is the state Windows will use this in the "standby" if the BIOS is set to S3 ACPI standby instead of S1. Uses much less power than S1 since most everything is turned off except for RAM to hold the data that was in use.

S4 or "Suspend to Disk" or "Hibernate" is the common save everything to the hard drive and takes 10-20 seconds to hibernate and resume.

S5 or "Soft Off" is when the system turns off but is available to answer wake commands like "wake on LAN" or other power state change commands. Not common, but still used.

Hope that helps clear up some of the standby modes...

Comment

Working...
                              X