Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB hard disk problems

Hi,
    i have a usb mac disk. it was connected to a windows xp machine by mistake. XP initialized the disk, and that was all, no format or anything else.
    this disk was then put back on a Mac when the error was discovered.
    the Mac disk repair utility was run, but it didnt get any of the data back.

So, is there anything I can do to get it back?
    please?

thanks,

Simon.

I would try doing a Google search or a search on the apple support site. I am sure you are not the first person to initialize a mac HD on a Windows XP system. I would assume the data is "gone", since I think the intialization wipes the FAT. I could be wrong though... Also, give a data recovery service a call. We used to use drivesavers when I worked at CompUSA, they were really friendly and probably could give you a definate answer on if the data is lost...
    ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Originally posted by edgley
      Hi,
      i have a usb mac disk. it was connected to a windows xp machine by mistake. XP initialized the disk, and that was all, no format or anything else.
      this disk was then put back on a Mac when the error was discovered.
      the Mac disk repair utility was run, but it didnt get any of the data back.

So, is there anything I can do to get it back?
      The init blows away the partition table. I know there are utilities to get data back assuming it was just reformated/deleted, I don't know about having the partition table changed though. Presumably as long as it hasn't been reformated the data is still there if you could rebuild the table. It's been over a decade since I manually mucked with partition tables so I don't remember how to go about it (if the utilities even exist anymore).

-dave
      My pathetic worklog.
      CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

I have tried searching both apple and google, but havent found the right words to use yet.
        The data must still be there, but the mbr has gone, which must be able to be rebuilt. this is unix after all.

Comment

Call drivesavers and ask them. They should know what will be possible...

DriveSavers - 800.440.1904
          ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Data Rescue II from ProSoft is an AMAZING piece of software

Comment

Working...
            X