Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to power-up Intel Macs?

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone had tried/thought of using the wake-on-lan to turn their IntelMacs? Like for example make a switch that plugs into the ethernet port and can turn the computer on... maybe I'm dreaming...

Thanx for any input...
    See ya
    Mac-in-a-Zuk

Suzuki Jimny 1.3 VVT - Mac Mini 1.5GHz Intel Core Solo - 7" Newision NW619VT touch screen - 2x200W amp

why? if you get the P1900 as soon as you turn ont he car it wakes the mini, or you could just get the switch kit it comes with and just run the wires from the button to where you want them. simple and done. Yeah!
    Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Yes I know and yes I will be using the P1900 ... when I get it...

But this was more for technical intrest, to see if this was possible... what do you think?
      Mac-in-a-Zuk

Suzuki Jimny 1.3 VVT - Mac Mini 1.5GHz Intel Core Solo - 7" Newision NW619VT touch screen - 2x200W amp

Comment

You'd have to fabricate something that sends the correct packet(s) to the NIC to induce WOL.
        Can it be done? Sure. Is it worth it? Probably not.
        It would be easier to emulate WOR for a modem.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hmmm yes I hadn't thought about the fact the packets are sent to wake on lan... On the modem it would be an incoming call type of signal I suppose...
          Mac-in-a-Zuk

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby
            why? if you get the P1900 as soon as you turn ont he car it wakes the mini, or you could just get the switch kit it comes with and just run the wires from the button to where you want them. simple and done. Yeah!
            But if you do the WOL idea (or WOR with the modem) you could hook it up to your car alarm so that the Mac starts when you unlock the doors. Or you could use a different remote/situation to start the Mac.

How about when the alarm goes off, it wakes the Mac and the Mac sends you an SMS?

All kinds of fun things can be done

For the original question, i've thought about it and hopefully will at some point. But i've got too much simple stuff that i'm procrastinating on first

-dave
            My pathetic worklog.
            CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

The Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller in the intel mac mini supports more the just magic packets wake on lan. you can have it wake on cable/connection change as well. I think its one more think it can wake from but I can't remember right now...

.n2k

Comment

How about waking up on USB?
                Just go into your car, plug in a thumbdrive and it wakes up...
                Is that possible?
                And wondering if it's possible to lock the mac with that USB thumbdrive.
                So only that particular thumbdrive would unlock it after it wakes up.

Comment

See my thread "Here's how to bring a laptop out of standby" for info on a simple way to do WOL without fabricating something. A common Linksys router can do this.
                  How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

I considering doing this for a while. I was going to do it do I would wake it up from my house sync up and then but it back to sleep. You could connect a rechargable (there about there) router to the mac via a patch cable, log onto the routers subnet, then attempt to log into the mac through ssh, ard, or vnc.

I am having a new alarm installed next week that will have remote start, so I will be able to start the car from my office, sync up, then turn off the car. The way the alarm/p1900 is wired it should work without a problem.

Comment

I spend most of my time trying to keep the Mini from waking up. The wake on USB is the most annoying feature invented when it comes to car use. If you have a mouse hooked up to it and bump it when getting out of the car, the Mini wakes and you'll never know it.

Maybe you could figure out how to cycle power to a connected USB hub. That would wake it up.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                      X