Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Mini Auto Boot - (bypassing power button)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini Auto Boot - (bypassing power button)

You all seem to know a lot about the power connectors on the mac mini so hopefully this is the right place to ask...

I am installing a mini connected to a UPS which has the ability to remotely powercycle devices via telnet.

My question is, how can I have the mac mini automatically boot up when it gets powered on? Currently after applying power, I need to press the button on the back to boot up.

In case the system hangs I want to be able to cycle power to reboot the machine remotely. I am planning on using this ( http://www.wti.com/ips8.htm ) to do the power cycling , now I just need to know what I have to do to bypass the switch on the back of the mini.

Can I just jumper something on the motherboard? Any help on getting this working would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!

Go into the energy saver control panel, choose the options tab and select restart after power failure.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thank you this works perfectly!

it seems so obvious now. sorry for being a mac newbie.

cheers!
      -vince

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
        Go into the energy saver control panel, choose the options tab and select restart after power failure.
        I was looking for something like that and I found this post, but what happen in case of a proper shutdown? This trick doesn't work for obvious reason. Is there any way "remote start" Mac Mini? Mine one is gonna be in the kitchen and pressing the "On" button on the back will be next to impossible. Any suggestion(s)? Cheers!!!

Comment

Extend the leads from the power button to another switch or button that's accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
            Extend the leads from the power button to another switch or button that's accessible.
            Yeah, I [re]searched a little bit and found that's probably the best possible option. Maybe I'm gonna use a y-adapter to keep the original power button intact. Any idea, what type of button/switch I can get it for this purpose? Cheers!!!

Comment

The only limitation I believe is that it needs to be a momentary switch/button. Otherwise, what ever you think looks good.

Comment

Any momentary on will work.
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:

Comment

I made an ugly *** dock lol and incorporated a small solenoid to press the power button. Works very well and makes for easy removal of the mini since i like to use the mini at home as well. Just another idea for you.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...liput-7-a.html

Comment

Thanks guys, for the input. I'm gonna put the screen in the kitchen wall and I'm really very excited about it.

Can anyone please confirm if either one of these do the job?
                    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12888
                    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1998.html

cheers,
                    Santanu

Comment

The second one will definitely work. For it to light up, you have to supply it with 3 volts of power. The first one may work but I couldn't tell if it was momentary contact or not.
                      Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                        The second one will definitely work. For it to light up, you have to supply it with 3 volts of power. The first one may work but I couldn't tell if it was momentary contact or not.
                        Thanks Bugbyte. The second one will match my MacMini environment as well. For the "light", as original MacMini power button has a light in it, so simply using a y-adapter will do the job? Cheers!!!

Comment

IF the voltage requirement for the two lights is the same, I'd say, yes that you could do that. The other option is to simply use an LM317 linear regulator from Radio Shack and supply your own power. It'll cost you a total of about $6 bucks for the regulator and the resistors.
                          http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
                          Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by MacUsers View Post
                            Thanks Bugbyte. The second one will match my MacMini environment as well. For the "light", as original MacMini power button has a light in it, so simply using a y-adapter will do the job? Cheers!!!
                            What MacMini power button comes with a light? I had some switches like the ones in the second link before. I think i ran them off the p1900 p5v output with no problem.

Comment

Uh, yeah, that's what I meant! I think the iBook has the button light. The Mac Mini has the LED. Maybe you could power it from that.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X