Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best navigation knob?

Hey guys

What do you think is the best navigation "knob" for the Mac?

I'm only really aware of two:

Logitech's NuLooq Pro $150

and

Griffin's Powermate $45

Are there others out there? Can anyone tell me how these work? It seems you just can set them up to trigger keypresses on the keyboard? It seems that the NuLooq, although more expensive, has a lot more "buttons", so that it could send a lot of different keypresses.

I'd like to integrate this into AMP, and perhaps make it mostly navigable from the controller in addition to the touch screen. I dunno.

Are there any other good "controllers" out there? I figure if I can get it navigable by a controller like this, one could just get a remote control (RF preferred!) and set it up with the same keystrokes, so it would be very easy to integrate too.

Thank you for any .. knowledge? lol

Aychamo
    -

as a powermate owner, i can say that if you're looking to control more than just front row, i'd go with that NuLOOQ. If you could program the panning functions to move the mouse cursor i think you'd be set.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking the Nulooq is the best option too. It just sucks its $150!
      -

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid
        If you could program the panning functions to move the mouse cursor i think you'd be set.
        You can't do that with NuLOOQ. PowerMate's driver does allow you that, but then you would have to use push + rotate for one direction which is extremely inconvenient.

Comment

I orderd a ccStick Id last week.

http://zhorvat.dyndns.org/PCForums/S...px?PostID=3031

As soon as I get it I'll try to do a review of it.

Comment

Can you assign the NuLooq to "tab", "shift-tab", and "space"?
            -

Comment

Originally posted by aychamo
              Can you assign the NuLooq to "tab", "shift-tab", and "space"?
              Yes.

But I have my doubts about controlling AMP using any knob. To do that efficiently, the interface must be designed for this from the very beginning. The interface you use now is too much touchscreen-oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout
                Yes.

But I have my doubts about controlling AMP using any knob. To do that efficiently, the interface must be designed for this from the very beginning. The interface you use now is too much touchscreen-oriented.
                I actually figured out a great way to do it while sitting on the toilet this morning
                -

Comment

I use the Powermate for control in my car. Although it is a bit limited in the number of click options, that also makes it very simple to operate while driving.

A click changes the song.
                  Turning it one way or the other changes the volume in iTunes.
                  I have click-turn set to raise/lower the system volume.

That leaves a long click for Pause/Play.

The Powermate can be programmed to send most key sequences and can act differently according to the application that is running, so it is easy to customize by program.

The more complex stuff should be saved for the touchscreen.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by n2k
                    I orderd a ccStick Id last week.

http://zhorvat.dyndns.org/PCForums/S...px?PostID=3031

As soon as I get it I'll try to do a review of it.
                    It looks quite similar to X-keys board. I still have two of them, I used one together with a rebuilt Sony joystick-style remote controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                      The more complex stuff should be saved for the touchscreen.
                      I do not agree. The more complex stuff must first be simplfied sufficiently to be controllable by a knob, joystick or few buttons. Interface that *requires* a touch screen for anything that is done while driving is a bad interface and should not be used.

Comment

i have my powermate set up to launch front row with a click in finder, long click is ESC, short click is Play/Pause/Enter, Roll Right/Left is Scroll Down/Up, Click Roll is Scroll Left/Right. I had to set up a profile for Finder and another for Front Row to be able to make it all work. I just had to set the key repeat rates really low so it doesn't get overwhelmed by too fast a turn and have to scroll for 20 seconds before it catches up.
                        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout
                          I do not agree. The more complex stuff must first be simplfied sufficiently to be controllable by a knob, joystick or few buttons. Interface that *requires* a touch screen for anything that is done while driving is a bad interface and should not be used.
                          Sorry, but I don't agree with that. The touchscreen can be a very useful interface device but the UI for the app needs to be built carefully to allow, for example, the user to select a an option by pressing a particular corner.

A nice UI could be built with a Powermate as you point out, but if it was iPod-style, you still have to glance at the screen to see what's up. Although that's not necessarily a show stopper, it could be if the interface was difficult.

My remark was more about having a knob with 10 different things on it but no way to operate it without being distracted by the knob itself. Maybe if it was like the joystick in a fighter jet with 17 buttons, all located in different locations...
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

lol... imagine a center-console mounted fighter-jet like joystick for your mp3car!
                            -

Comment

Looks like Logitech wants to compete in the navagation wheel market. The NuLOOQ Professional is now $79.99 on their website.

Comment

Working...
                              X