Mac Mini in car running XP PRO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini in car running XP PRO

I know this is going to kill some of you.. But I own an IT company and most of my customers are Windows based so I need to stick with XP.... But I want to put a Mac Mini in my car because I have a Mini Cooper S...

Has anyone done the dual boot with XP as the default yet using it as a Carputer???
    Also, I have the 3G card from Verizon and want to use the High Speed, I got a PCMCIA to usb adapter and was wondering if this will work in OS X if I do decide to go with the Apple OS instead of XP or maybe even use both....

Also, I have seen the auto cut on and off mod here for the Mac Mini, that will work fine if I am booting into XP right??

thanks for all your help.. So far I have my Mac Mini(1.66 Duo Core Superdrive) got both an in dash touchscreen and normal 7 " touchscreen, got my 3G usb adapter, got a slot loading USB DVD RW too..

All I need is GPS receiver and software and lots of configing and playing...

thanks for all the info
    2001 Audi S4 Avant
    Mac Mini-7" in dash, 8" in Headrest,
    RR/Blue Devil

Windows works ok on the mini but...
    At the moment the ir remote dosen't work and the apples bluetooth drivers are abit shady, sometimes it doesn't work and you have to reboot to get it to work.

And sound can be a problem depending on how you planing to hookit up to your car.

don't think the 3G card will be a problem in osx or xp.

the biggest problem will be finding a decent gps program. the aren't any for osx and the selection for windows isn't that great either, the exist but the are more desktop applications and not very "carpc" friendly. unfortunately the best turn-by-turn navigation software is for pocketpc and smart phones.

Why do you need an extra dvdrw drive ?

.n2k

Comment

the extra Dvd is in case I mount the PC in the glovebox so I have easy access to a DVD player so I can mount it in the dashboard..

I have the Microsoft Maps software that came with a USB GPS receiver.. This will work right???
      2001 Audi S4 Avant
      Mac Mini-7" in dash, 8" in Headrest,
      RR/Blue Devil

Comment

Originally posted by duglas View Post
        But I want to put a Mac Mini in my car because I have a Mini Cooper S...

I guess it's a start There is someone else here that has already put a Mini in a Mini (though I haven't noticed him around lately..). You might look him up for his input to save yourself some headaches.

Has anyone done the dual boot with XP as the default yet using it as a Carputer???
        I think there are a few people. But the normal answer is "why?". In your case, you already have the Mac and you obviously want the Mini in a Mini aspect, but there is a Win/Linux box available that looks almost identical and is a bit cheaper (since the switch to Intel for the Mini).

With the advent of Boot Camp, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to run it as a Windows (or Linux) box and use any and all software for that platform.

As far as dual booting, I hate rebooting my normal machines so I can't imagine doing it in a car environment. But then I am quite happy without a GPS solution which is the only big thing missing between OSX and Windows.

Also, I have the 3G card from Verizon and want to use the High Speed, I got a PCMCIA to usb adapter and was wondering if this will work in OS X if I do decide to go with the Apple OS instead of XP or maybe even use both....

4th result: http://www.evdoinfo.com/Downloads/Dr...rs_2005021554/

Also, I have seen the auto cut on and off mod here for the Mac Mini, that will work fine if I am booting into XP right??
        I don't think I have ever actually seen an answer to that question. It depends on if Windows will respond to whatever signal the Mac is sending when it gets the sleep signal.

-dave
        My pathetic worklog.
        CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Why not just get the Aopen Pandora and put XP in it and call it a day.
          Let the Mac Mini crunching on it own os.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

the biggest problem will be finding a decent gps program. the aren't any for osx and the selection for windows isn't that great either, the exist but the are more desktop applications and not very "carpc" friendly. unfortunately the best turn-by-turn navigation software is for pocketpc and smart phones.
            i dont kno about OSX but for windows i have a few versions of iguidance , destinator 3, and both microsoft ones and i cant decide which ones to use b/c they are all very good and intergreation with many of the front ends isnt that hard if u sit and figure it out for more that 2 min. So i dont kno how u can say there are no good windows nav programs.

Comment

the extra Dvd is in case I mount the PC in the glovebox so I have easy access to a DVD player so I can mount it in the dashboard..
              ok.

I have the Microsoft Maps software that came with a USB GPS receiver.. This will work right???
              yes it will work but it's not the best interface for the car environment.

try hooking up your 7" touch screen to you desktop computer and try using the software... not that easy working those menus...

for power you should check out the P1900 from Carnetix with the MacPac. MikeH is very Helpful.

And good luck with the install... don't forget to post pictures

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
              Why not just get the Aopen Pandora and put XP in it and call it a day.
              Let the Mac Mini crunching on it own os.
              maybe because the mac mini is better built and has better hardware spec then aopens pandora ?
              and you have the option to easly change to osx when the software has matured.

I'm running Vista on my mini and it works great.

.n2k

Comment

n2k i dont know what ur says but mostly all of the installations i have seen deal with people hooking up 7in touchscreens to their computers and using them in the car. i agree that the microsoft software is terrible for navigation on a touchscreen but the new version of iguidance is practially made for it.

and about the mac mini the front end support and programs to runs on it are rare and i hear xp on it is just so so. although iv never actually seen it so i cant say first hand like you.

i was just wondering if u have a carcomputer?

Comment

Can we please not turn this into a Mac vs PC thread?

Thanks,
                  -dave
                  My pathetic worklog.
                  CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Sorry if I came of as negative.

the 7in ts setup is great! What I was trying to get at was, hooking up the touchscreen to your desktop is a great way to test out your software to see how easy they are to use in the car and if you like them.

Yes windows have few navigation software that are good but if you compare it to the selection of applications with great touchscreen interfaces and turn-by-turn navigation and POI features that are available for PDA's and smartphones there isn't one application for windows that can match them.

I've tried the new iGuidance 3 and it looks great but I'm in Europe/Sweden and there aren't any european maps for iGuidance 3 (yet ?)

I sort of have a carcomputer... I have all the hardware but I haven't found a gps application that i like so I haven't installed in my car.

If i still come of as negative then the supportive spark is lost in translation

Comment

As was said, this isn't really a PC vs Mac thread but I compared the Pandora with the Mini and the mini seemed to be a better deal. I've been tinkering with a dual core mini to put in my car and it seems to run XP just fine. Until there is a decent frontend app and better nav software and satellite radio support, I'll be running XP on it.

iGuidance 3 seems to have some nice improvements over 2.x and runs well under RoadRunner. That along with a GlobalSat BU-353 seems to be a nice combo for GPS.
                      PROGRESS: 20%[++--------]
                      Current Project: OS Config
                      Intel Mac Mini Core Duo running Win XP
                      Carnetix P-1900+PNP cable
                      Xenarc 700TSV
                      Global Sat BU-353 GPS
                      Alpine Sirius Reciever with mitchjs board
                      Car2PC adapter
                      RoadRunner
                      PhoCo

Comment

Your set up sounds similar to mine.
                        I am running winXP Pro on a mac mini solo upgarged to 1.25 gig ram and 120 gig hard dirve.
                        I have the carnix p1900 ver 2.2
                        I am using FrodoPlayer and have XM direct. It is working GREAT! except a few things. The Carnix wont turn on mini, but on the carnix site they talk about it needed to be reflased and that should fix it.
                        Using a garmin GPS and nRoute as my GPS, need something that is mote touchscreen friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by iamgnat View Post
                          ...but there is a Win/Linux box available that looks almost identical and is a bit cheaper (since the switch to Intel for the Mini).
                          Do you know where I can find this?

Comment

I think he was referring to Aopen's pandora box.
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66400

Comment

aopen pandora

Comment

Working...
                              X