Cable HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable HELP

I decided to work on this problem http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85411 this weekend and came across a problem finding the correct cables, perhaps someone can help me. Let me start by saying I went to 3 Apple stores, a MicroCenter and a CompUSA and still can’t get hooked up to both monitors (though I did meet some really cool carputer people). So here’s what I’ve got and what I need. The “Needs” and “Haves” all start at the Mini and work out to each monitor.
    Need – A DVI cable or adaptor to a split cable to my VGA touch screen and an RCA cable to my AVIC screen.
    Have – 2 DVI to VGA adapters a VGA Y cable and one of Apples DVI to Video adaptor.
    What I need to find is a VGA back to DVI adaptor (reverse of what comes with the mini) in order to make Apples adaptor work…or a much better solution.

And another thing that would be a huge help is to find out if anyone has tried to push 2 monitors with the Mini. After about $50 worth of cables and adaptors I had a girl at one of the Apple stores tell me the video card on the Mini won’t push to two monitors, even in a mirrored setup, without some sort of video amplifier. I would test this myself except my LCD screen gave out on me and all I have left right now is my old CRT and the two screens in my truck. It really sucks when your vehicle is more advanced than your home office!

Of course 10 minutes after posting I found the answer http://sewelldirect.com/gefen-dvi-dvi-and-vga.asp
    I would like to hear if anyone has answers to the mirrored monitor capability still.

Comment

What *might* eventually work for mirroring the VGA on a video screen is this: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/P...o_adapter.html together with an "Y" cable and standard DVI-VGA adapter.

If you want a dual head solution, then Matrox has a DualHead2Go adapter, which might(!) be usable with the VGA->Video adapter on one of the outputs, but I am not sure about its limitations (I know there were problems with Intel Mac mini) - it appears that both outputs have the same resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by macalanche View Post
        Of course 10 minutes after posting I found the answer http://sewelldirect.com/gefen-dvi-dvi-and-vga.asp
        I would like to hear if anyone has answers to the mirrored monitor capability still.
        I do not think you will be able to use the Apple DVI-video adapter at the DVI end of that cable. The analog signal from the DVI-I most likely ends up at the VGA end only and you would have to use a true conversion box to get the video signal out of the DVI (without I) end of the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout View Post
          What *might* eventually work for mirroring the VGA on a video screen is this: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/P...o_adapter.html together with an "Y" cable and standard DVI-VGA adapter.

If you want a dual head solution, then Matrox has a DualHead2Go adapter, which might(!) be usable with the VGA->Video adapter on one of the outputs, but I am not sure about its limitations (I know there were problems with Intel Mac mini) - it appears that both outputs have the same resolution.
          Thank you, that's a step in the right direction.
          I do not think you will be able to use the Apple DVI-video adapter at the DVI end of that cable. The analog signal from the DVI-I most likely ends up at the VGA end only and you would have to use a true conversion box to get the video signal out of the DVI (without I) end of the cable.
          After looking at it a little closer I think you're right, and I'm still not even sure if the mini is DVI-I or DVI-D. The TV converter looks like the best solution and even with that I'm not sure I'll end up with a usable screen.

Comment

Originally posted by macalanche View Post
            ... I'm still not even sure if the mini is DVI-I or DVI-D. The TV converter looks like the best solution and even with that I'm not sure I'll end up with a usable screen.
            Mac mini uses a DVI-I connector. Otherwise the supplied adapter would not be sufficient to use a screen with VGA input.

Comment

Don't know if this helps:

Also, why don't you buy a DVI splitter cable like this one

then put one of these
              on the end of it?

That way you split the DVI and convert it to VGA for the touchscreen on one branch, then convert the DVI to video on the other?
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Mac mini uses a DVI-I connector. Otherwise the supplied adapter would not be sufficient to use a screen with VGA input.
                That's good news, a lot more options that way.

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                Also, why don't you buy a DVI splitter cable like this one

then put one of these
                on the end of it?

That way you split the DVI and convert it to VGA for the touchscreen on one branch, then convert the DVI to video on the other?
                That's exactly the cable I need, I was just worried about the DVI-I vs DVI-D issue. I picked up the Apple converter this weekend.
                I have a feeling that I'm going to get this all done and hate it...but it's personal now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  That would not work with simple adapter as this (which uses the analog signal from DVI-I connector). One of the branches is analog-only and the other is DVI-only.

Comment

That would not work with simple adapter as this (which uses the analog signal from DVI-I connector). One of the branches is analog-only and the other is DVI-only.
                    Crap, I ordered it this morning! I just called and they said since I ordered so early they got it out already. I'm about to have the finest collections of useless cables in Virginia at this rate.

Comment

So let me get this straight.... it WOULD work if the cable that apple sold was vga and not dvi....

Or can you not convert the vga back to dvi to change it to rca, then the analogue signal will be usable for rca and the dvi can be converted to vga for use with a vga screen.... Is that about right....???

If so, let me know the solution as i want to do exactly the same with my mac... Lol
                      CLICK ME

Smart Car due for completion beginning of march....

Log with pictures to go online shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by www.workingcars View Post
                        So let me get this straight.... it WOULD work if the cable that apple sold was vga and not dvi....

Or can you not convert the vga back to dvi to change it to rca, then the analogue signal will be usable for rca and the dvi can be converted to vga for use with a vga screen.... Is that about right....???

If so, let me know the solution as i want to do exactly the same with my mac... Lol
                        Well since it looks like I'll have every possible cable combo soon, I'll post results with all cable options when I have them.

Comment

I must not be getting it. One side is DVI, which is digital, the other side is VGA, which is analog. On the analog side, you should be able to convert VGA to RCA with that cable, right?

On the digital side, are you saying that the analog component that is used to convert to VGA is no longer present?
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Both screens are analog, so what is the problem....???? The vga screen is simple, and the rca from dvi to apple convertor is analog as well.....!!!

Surely.....!!!
                            CLICK ME

Smart Car due for completion beginning of march....

Log with pictures to go online shortly after.

Comment

So I ran an RCA cable from the AVIC down to input 2 on my TSV to mirror the AVIC, it looks and works great. So I don't see why that Y cable with DVI to VGA/DVI to RCA won't look just as good. It would be great if I could push the signal back to the AVIC from the TSV on that cable...but no.

Comment

Working...
                              X