Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini Dock For under 10 ($6)!

Hi guys,

Was a bit bored at home today so i'd thought i would make good use of my time to make a dock for the Mac mini.

I basically ripped off ideas from other people, so it looks a bit of a mish-mash. But it works, and it only costs 10!

Firstly I had to make a socket for the power switch so it could be powered on by the Carnetix P1900.

Then i transferred the position of the sockets by doing a rubbing of them using a pencil and paper, could have taken a photocopy of the mac , but i was lazy. I then stuck this transfer of the socket positions to a length of angled Aluminium. Then cut it out using a Dremel. I cut two slots in the alumininum so i could bend it around the mac. Then attached a cross member to hold it all together. I then fixed the plugs through there respective holes using Evo-stick Metal Epoxy Putty. And there you have it ,the dock is done

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2299675

Click image for larger version

Name:	dock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2299676

I havn't put it in the car yet, it'll go in the glovebox.

Hope the pics look OK

See ya

You didn't put in an ethernet port. Looks pretty good though.
    Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

ethernet in your car? who ever heard of such a crzzy thing.
      Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby View Post
        LOL very good point

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby
          I have. I have a small ethernet switch under the rear seat and 4 ethernet outlets in the car.

Originally posted by SurgResDocMD View Post
          LOL very good point
          Not really a good point at all... If you do not want to take your computer out of the car for uploads of new data, the difference between 54Mb of a wi-fi connection (very theoretical 54Mb at that) and 1Gb of regular Ethernet is rather noticeable, especially if you are uploading 1GB+ movies and similar stuff.

Comment

No ethernet? Didn't think i'll need it, what do you use yours for Jirka? Do you link with other PCs or macs?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mr2mac View Post
              ...Didn't think i'll need it, what do you use yours for Jirka? Do you link with other PCs or macs?
              I mostly use it to upload new large stuff to the car - movies, music, system updates... I either use my PowerBook connected the the outlet in the armrest or run a 10m cable to my home network. And I plan to add a second mini to the car, mainly for watching movies and playing games (connected to the 17" LCD under the roof). When this is done, both computers will be linked by ethernet.

I can also route internet from WiFi network to the Ethernet.

Comment

I didn't put ethernet in my dock either, but since it's a dock, removing the computer is pretty simple, LOL! Just take it in the house and plug it into the network.

Great job MR2Mac. I wish I'd thought of using the epoxy putty. No failures yet, but one of these days, I'm sure.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks bugbyte, need more vent holes i think though.

Comment

I have a linksys wrt54gs running kismet drone. Don't have to worry about my laptop auto connecting to someone's wireless network and making me a felon.
                    Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Nice job. Curving the sides was especially nice...

Any problems sliding the mini in/out with so many ports connecting at once?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

It is slightly stiff but ok. I have actually modified it completly now. It has a clamp using rubber rollers to hold it secure. Will post pics soon when it is fitted to my glove box.

Comment

That looks like a great starting point for mounting the Mini in my glovebox:

Would LOVE to see the update with the modifications and rubber rollers.

Also, it seems like the side rails would scratch the Mini when you slide it in and out. Is that true?

And, it looks like you've got two screws holding the cross brace on each side. What are those other spots nearby on the sides? They look like rivets or screw holes or something.
                          How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

hey timeshifter,

It doesn't scratch the sides, but over time maybe, so stuck felt on the inside. The holes are for venting.

Your glove box seems very roomy, mine is a dodgy shape so still thinking about how to mount the dock. Will post pics of the the new dock when i get back from work.

bye

Comment

Bumpitty bump bump...pics of the updated dock, if you could?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                              X