Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I wardrive?

Hi,

I've a Mac mini in car and a D-link Wifi adapter, how do i go about wardriving? Is there software for use with adapters? I'm a novice at this so need some pointers.

Thanks

Nick

Just download AMP, it's got it built in.. and is available from this forum.... Also not sure about the d-link, but you should have an internal wi fi card inside your mac mini.

Comment

Here ya go. Everything you ever wanted to know. Jeff's a good guy.

http://www.wardrive.net/wardriving/faq
      Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

I've used both MacStumbler and Kismac. Kismac is more powerful, but MacStumbler works quite well, too.

Either way, you load them up and start getting audio notifications when you drive by an access point. One sound for encrypted, another sound for open access.

Kismac has a nice feature that passively listens for access points. This allows it to detect access points where people haven't named them and thus they don't usually show up in a scan. Also, your computer isn't registered as querying the access point. It's basically stealth mode. I discovered two other points near my house that I didn't know about previously when I used it.

Kismac also has some nice graphing features that show signal levels and such. It also lets you import a map and geo-reference it, then it records all of the access points on that map. If you want to map out a particular area, it's worth it.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the responces. My mini is a G4 does not have internal wifi. How would i surf the net, say if i was outside a starbucks or similar? Ive done a local search of my area and found a few access points, but how to utilise them? Does Kismac or Macstumbler work with an external wifi adapter ive think Macstumbler doesn't.

Thanks guys,

Nick

Comment

I personally cannot remember if it does. When I last wardrived on a mac, it was only the drivers for the internal wi-fi cards.

Google may yield some results for yah:-)
            "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
            Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Originally posted by mr2mac View Post
              Hey,

Thanks for the responces. My mini is a G4 does not have internal wifi. How would i surf the net, say if i was outside a starbucks or similar? Ive done a local search of my area and found a few access points, but how to utilise them? Does Kismac or Macstumbler work with an external wifi adapter ive think Macstumbler doesn't.

Thanks guys,

Nick
              They will both use external usb wifi adapters if the os supports them. The best way to get connected is ask the owner of the access point. They should have a little sheet with all the connection info. Usually if the place has public wifi available osx's built in connection manager will ask you if you want to connect.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks guys,

Nick
                I'm not understanding you. If you have no internal wifi then how are you doing a local search? You mean you are looking them up on the web?

If available, spring for the internal airport card and add it to the Mini yourself. You won't be sorry.
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:

Comment

I think he meant using an external wi fi solution via usb?

Comment

Sorry didn't make myself clear. Yes it is an external usb adapter, and it has OS X support.

Comment

Okay. I don't think you'll have any problems. Best of all, both Kismac and Macstumbler are free so, no loss if they don't work. Download and try them out!
                      Want to:

Comment

My suggestion is use an Armored Personnel Carrier or perhaps an Abramms tank and just drive down the street...war won.

Sorry, you caught me on the end of a very long night drivin so I'm a bit loopy, couldn't help it.

Hi,

how do i go about wardriving?

Thanks

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by TheLandYacht View Post
                          My suggestion is use an Armored Personnel Carrier or perhaps an Abramms tank and just drive down the street...war won.

Sorry, you caught me on the end of a very long night drivin so I'm a bit loopy, couldn't help it.
                          Hey, there is a Ferret APC a bit farther north of me for sale on E-Bay right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X