Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use an old imac?

i have an old imac just like this one:

has anyone used something like this for their car? its just laying around, i thought maybe i could use the parts. im wondering if the monitor is hardwired into the video card though. any ideas if this could work?
    Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

It has a mini VGA output on the back so you ought to be able to disconnect the monitor and use the output. An inverter should be able to run it.

If it is just laying around and you bust it trying to do this, you lose nothing. :-)
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      It has a mini VGA output on the back so you ought to be able to disconnect the monitor and use the output. An inverter should be able to run it.

If it is just laying around and you bust it trying to do this, you lose nothing. :-)
      oh ok. i was talking to one of my friends who works at a mac store, he thought the monitor was hard wired into the vc. so i guess all i would need would be the inverter and a screen?

and thats very true , not mention it'll save me some money lol.
      Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post

I am doing this with an iBook G4 whose display panel gave up. Only issue with that is that when booting the OS X installer the external monitor doesn't show anything so I have to use another Mac to install from (with the ibook in firewire target mode). Similar issues might apply to the iMac.

Just got myself a generic plastic electronics box in which I will try to mount it during the weekend. :-)

Cheers,

/Erik

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-Compu...em110075108319

Take a look at that... This should answer everyone's questions....

Rafster
          Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-Compu...em110075108319

Take a look at that... This should answer everyone's questions....

Rafster
            They ruined that display. They cut the power cable, airport cable, and mic cable. Freaking morons.
            Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. There was a mod over at MacMod.com called the Headless iMac. I was thinking of how to mount it on the ceiling and use it as a dome light. Would need to internally flip the hard drive and optical drive. AND if you're VERY careful, you can probably do the mod without sacrificing the monitor.

Comment

Working...
              X