Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Apple things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Apple things

    So... I'm sure you guys all saw what Apple released yesterday.. (well, at least what they announced.) The AppleTV, and the iPhone. Jeezus christ. when I saw that phone, I almost started crying.. Wow! Haha

    I wonder how the AppleTV will look just plugged into a 800x480 display?
    -

  • #2
    ya watching that keynote was like watching a full length action thriller. lol. I think an OSX based smartphone is the perfect link between home computer and car computer. Just think of how everything could by sync'ed ever time you get in your car! Its amasing!

    Comment


    • #3
      I want it so bad....
      Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

      Comment


      • #4
        If you can add navigation software like tomtom or route66 to the iphone, your carmac is done

        Comment


        • #5
          as long as you can add an external screen then it would be done.
          Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pepsibobby View Post
            as long as you can add an external screen then it would be done.
            Well it uses an iPod dock connector, so that's a definite maybe... ****es me off that they went with Cingular only. I'll never see one up here. AppleTV is on order though. I'll finally get my laptop back.
            Failure is not an option....



            It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

            Comment


            • #7
              I found the Apple TV to be oddly uncompelling. It only plays stuff you download through iTunes.

              I happen to like iTunes, so I don't mind using it to manage TV content, but frankly, they could have enhanced the application so it operated in a Tivo-like fashion by downloading schedules and allowing you to use the Apple TV like a PVR. If you keep the show, it would send it back to your computer for safe-keeping.

              Also, how do you watch a DVD on that thing?! You have to go put it in your computer, or what?

              They also completely missed the opportunity to put your email on it so you can read it on the TV, offer web-browsing from your couch, let you use a bluetooth keyboard or phone so you can text while watching TV, picture in picture so you can text and watch TV at the same time, make phone calls from it, either using a bluetooth headset or your iPhone and on and on.

              Also, did you see the new Airport Extreme? Why didn't they combine the Apple TV with the new Airport Extreme? Or, if it's not convenient to the broadband connection, at least make it a network extender for full house coverage?

              And, why don't they offer the same functionality on the Mac Mini? That's got a higher price point plus a DVD player. You'd have one for people who just want to put stuff to the TV from their Mac and another with full OS and functionality for people who want even more.

              There's not even any inputs on it. It's basically a video Airport Express for $300 with some remote control software on it. I mean, that's cool, but I would expect that from just about any vendor.

              The iPhone, on the other hand, is really cool. Especially if you want to upgrade both your phone and your iPod. I didn't see whether it had GPS in it. Does anyone know?
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                it doesn't have GPS built in. It does have bluetooth so I can't see why it wouldnt' work. This could spell excellent news for the Mac GPS market, since the underlying system of the iPhone is also FreeBSD. I'm guessing TomTom will be amongst the first to release.

                My only quib with the iPhone is that it does not support UMTS (EVDO in the US?). Admittedly, this technology guzzles battery juice, but it does provide 1.8MBs+, and I can swear by it as I use it on my laptop all the time. It's broadband on the train/road.

                I guess it's early days for it, but I beleive the future of personal music devices to be streaming based. There's no need to have huge local storage, if you're always connected and there's infinite web storage over the air. Given a speedy connection, all that's needed is smart buffering strategy, and the idea of taking your music collection everywhere becomes obselete.

                I personally welcome the iPhone and will probably buy it.
                Current:
                [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

                Previous:
                [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  They also completely missed the opportunity to put your email on it so you can read it on the TV, offer web-browsing from your couch, let you use a bluetooth keyboard or phone so you can text while watching TV, picture in picture so you can text and watch TV at the same time, make phone calls from it, either using a bluetooth headset or your iPhone and on and on.
                  The thing is pparently a Mac mini without the optical drive. And I bet it is running some edition of OS X, maybe even standard OS X with Front Row-like application in place of finder and some stuff removed. So adding most of these functions (e-mail, web, phone) is a matter of software update.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                    I found the Apple TV to be oddly uncompelling. It only plays stuff you download through iTunes.

                    I happen to like iTunes, so I don't mind using it to manage TV content, but frankly, they could have enhanced the application so it operated in a Tivo-like fashion by downloading schedules and allowing you to use the Apple TV like a PVR. If you keep the show, it would send it back to your computer for safe-keeping.

                    Also, how do you watch a DVD on that thing?! You have to go put it in your computer, or what?

                    They also completely missed the opportunity to put your email on it so you can read it on the TV, offer web-browsing from your couch, let you use a bluetooth keyboard or phone so you can text while watching TV, picture in picture so you can text and watch TV at the same time, make phone calls from it, either using a bluetooth headset or your iPhone and on and on.

                    Also, did you see the new Airport Extreme? Why didn't they combine the Apple TV with the new Airport Extreme? Or, if it's not convenient to the broadband connection, at least make it a network extender for full house coverage?

                    And, why don't they offer the same functionality on the Mac Mini? That's got a higher price point plus a DVD player. You'd have one for people who just want to put stuff to the TV from their Mac and another with full OS and functionality for people who want even more.

                    There's not even any inputs on it. It's basically a video Airport Express for $300 with some remote control software on it. I mean, that's cool, but I would expect that from just about any vendor.

                    The iPhone, on the other hand, is really cool. Especially if you want to upgrade both your phone and your iPod. I didn't see whether it had GPS in it. Does anyone know?
                    I've got quite a bit of movies in iTunes that I didn't buy through the store. If you've ever seen my dvd library, you'd know I have a few. I just rip them into iTunes. I figure I can rip them at better quality than what you download, and I like having them in case of a drive failure. I'm actually going to get one, so I can stop having to attach my laptop to the tv. It is basically a mini with no optical drive, so I'm sure it will have software updates that will add functionality.
                    Failure is not an option....



                    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jirka Jirout View Post
                      The thing is pparently a Mac mini without the optical drive. And I bet it is running some edition of OS X, maybe even standard OS X with Front Row-like application in place of finder and some stuff removed. So adding most of these functions (e-mail, web, phone) is a matter of software update.
                      It may be only a matter of putting the software on it, but they DIDN'T. Maybe they will later, but they haven't yet and they should have. I think the 'A' team may have been working on the iPhone instead.

                      Not to mention that I think Apple is making a critical misstep by trying to tie your entire viewing experience into iTunes. I do not intend to purchase videos over the web until I can at least put them on DVD to save them -the same as the music I buy on the web. With music, I want to play it on many devices -in my car, on my iPod, on the occasional CD player, stream it to the stereo downstairs, whatever.

                      Video, I want on my TV and on a backup DVD. That's it. Sure, it might be fun to carry it somewhere else on occasion but I don't need it. What I could use is some computer like functionality on my TV. Not just a video/audio/photo server but the other stuff. That's where I think they really missed the mark.

                      The Apple TV value proposition says that I should manage my vids on my computer but any DVD's I already have can't be ripped unless I want to jimmy the DRM on them. Not hard to do, but rather more time consuming than simply ripping a CD. Then, if I buy them online I can only play them on a single program made by a single company? I can't take them with me on a DVD to show to my friends? What was supposed to be easier about this?

                      Now, an Apple TV in a car....THAT'S what I call an interesting install. Think of all those people who want to output to two video screens using the Mini. They almost always want one in front for the driver, the other in the back for the passengers to watch videos/listen to music. For $299 and NO WIRES, you get instant back seat entertainment along with a wireless controller for the kiddies. Serve up the media from the Mini up front and BLAMMO! You have a pretty seriously cool system.

                      Who knows? There may yet be an Apple TV in my future. But it still won't play DVD's. Sigh.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Why does the Apple TV have a USB port? Could it be that it is capable to connect with an iPod? Why else would they put a USB port? If i can connect an iPod to it, then Im getting one for the car. That means instant on and off.

                        G

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                          It may be only a matter of putting the software on it, but they DIDN'T. Maybe they will later, but they haven't yet and they should have
                          I would appreciate that as well, but it will probably sell even without these functions. So from Apple's point of view it is only logical to keep these additional functions (and much more, I believe) in reserve.

                          Now, an Apple TV in a car....THAT'S what I call an interesting install. Think of all those people who want to output to two video screens using the Mini.
                          It may not be that easy - look at the rear side of the TV. On the left-hand end of that size to be more exact... It appears the TV is not using an external power brick and low DC voltage, but connects straight to the AC outlet (110/230V). If that is really so, we will have to use an inverter, that brings more problems with audio interference etc. Let's wait and see.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gmed View Post
                            Why does the Apple TV have a USB port? Could it be that it is capable to connect with an iPod? Why else would they put a USB port?
                            Just like Cisco with their new routers: "reserved for future use" :-)

                            It could be an iPod, mass storage device, keyboard, gaming controller, TV tuner...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              or a printer like the old ones? maybe...
                              Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X