the new apple iPad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new apple iPad

While i dont give a crap about the device as much when compared to ALOT of other people...I want this OS for our Mini's and touchscreens.

If Apple does all the legwork with a better than "Front Row" GUI that deals with large buttons, music, video, all that...we've got a front end that needs little to no tweaking to be perfect for a 7" touchscreen in the car.

Give it time, Im sure we shall see something wonderful come from this "iPad" when its comes to carputing.
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Some tech specs:

It has a 9.7-inch IPS display, wide angle view - bus it is daylight viewable under direct sunlight (that is, reflective or transflective display with AG coating, polarized and optically bonded like some tablets?)

“It’s half an inch thin and weighs just 1.5 pounds.” That's good. Most tablet pcs are .75" thin (slates, of course, they're the only one comparable), and up to 3.5Lbs or less for about 3.5 (Motion F5) to 9h (Fujitsu ST5111) on one standard battery, more with extras. This one? Claimed 10hs, one month on stand by!!!

Multitouch capacitive screen, which is good, not resistive. It’s powered by a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, and has 16GB to 64GB of flash.

It has 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. 30-pin connector, speaker, microphone, accelerometer and compass. No 3G?! (Maybe AT&T vetoed it for now? Imagine the traffic...)
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Like I said, i dont effin' care about the device.

I want the OS on our mac mini's...or at least some hacked up version of it.
      (All done)

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that the screen of this thing will severely kick the *** of any currently available carputer screen. I've had an iPhone since the beginning and it's screen works well in any kind of lighting. I expect that the iPad's screen will be similar.

I see this device as a near-complete carputer. All you need is a simple iPhone charger / radio interface.
        How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

Honestly, the only thing i can see this being useful for is in-car entertainment. At least, that's all i feel the OS is good for. If you have a big enough dash, it would be pretty sweet to have one of these mounted it in.

I was really disappointed when i saw it doesn't run a real version of OSX. It's seriously just a large iPod touch

Comment

Yep it's a HUGE iPod Touch with the new iBook Store, new iCalendar and the 3G tech from the iPhone....

We wont be able to install that OS on our minis yet cause it's a new processor the A4 that apple developed specially for that device.

I think this device is cool in the way that it is a pioneer. Many manufacturer will copy this device in the years to come and thats the future. Its simply a more easily portable computer.

I'll probably get one to write a review, and also use it as a personal computer at home with the stand...
            VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
            Final Install
            CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

I have to say that this tablet ( i refuse to actually call it by its official, horrible, horrible name due to the feminine product connotations that come with it) will not work well for a carputer. first off the version of itunes that it runs relies even more on you having to actually look at the machine ( it seems as if coverflow is gone, although i cannot confirm this). Theoretically you could write a new "front end" or music app but what is the point? As soon as you do you loose the ability to play music and view maps (no multitasking). you could wright some super app that tries to do both, but then you would have try and get it passed through the app store approval process on top of having to pay just to develop it in the first place. Im not trying to be super negative here, I just really don't think it is going to be a good fit in the car.
              Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

Originally posted by natedawgg View Post
                ( i refuse to actually call it by its official, horrible, horrible name due to the feminine product connotations that come with it)

LOL.

You mean like this one I've just heard:

"iPad. I'm not buying one. Period."

Comment

I have to say that this tablet ( i refuse to actually call it by its official, horrible, horrible name due to the feminine product connotations that come with it) will not work well for a carputer. first off the version of itunes that it runs relies even more on you having to actually look at the machine ( it seems as if coverflow is gone, although i cannot confirm this). Theoretically you could write a new "front end" or music app but what is the point? As soon as you do you loose the ability to play music and view maps (no multitasking). you could wright some super app that tries to do both, but then you would have try and get it passed through the app store approval process on top of having to pay just to develop it in the first place. Im not trying to be super negative here, I just really don't think it is going to be a good fit in the car.
                  Why wouldn't it work for a carputer? If you want multi-tasking and apps running in the background, Jailbreak it just like any iPhone/iPod Touch. Takes about 2 minutes.

With my iPhone in the car, I can play Pandora & music from my iPod with Navigon running. Same as will be with the iPad. No need to write any special app to do this, just jailbreak like everyone does which takes these devices into the stratosphere.

And to others, I'd like to know what one would need in the car that 140,000 available apps (as well as thousands more in Cydia if Jailbroken) - can't do. I don't understand the need to have a full-fledged computer in the car. I don't get that. Especially with the boot-time, etc. I'd like to understand what a full computer can do vs. iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by meagain View Post
                    And to others, I'd like to know what one would need in the car that 140,000 available apps (as well as thousands more in Cydia if Jailbroken) - can't do. I don't understand the need to have a full-fledged computer in the car. I don't get that.
                    Maybe I'm not well informed, so please tell me which "app" can make the iPad drive, say, rear screens, with or without separate audio and video?

Is there an app to read and reset OBD data?

Can you hook an HD radio with that? Or XM?

Is the GPS reliable, or is based on cell phone towers? What's the refresh rate, etc.

Can you even hook an (powered) USB hub to that? Seriously, I'd like to know how many devices you can hook to that Apple Connector.

Can you hook, say, and external HD and play content from there, or you'd need iTunes?

Especially with the boot-time, etc. I'd like to understand what a full computer can do vs. iPad.
                    Windows 7 with hybrid sleep is about 2sec.

I like the iPad as something to use in the couch browsing the internet while watching tv. Other than that most of what you can do with it is to play media. But then you'll probably have to jailbrake it to access a 1tb external HD, and then hope somebody will develop a front end with big buttons and designed to work in the car.

I can wait.

Comment

first off the version of itunes that it runs relies even more on you having to actually look at the machine ( it seems as if coverflow is gone, although i cannot confirm this). Theoretically you could write a new "front end" or music app but what is the point? As soon as you do you loose the ability to play music and view maps (no multitasking). you could wright some super app that tries to do both, but then you would have try and get it passed through the app store approval process on top of having to pay just to develop it in the first place. Im not trying to be super negative here, I just really don't think it is going to be a good fit in the car.
                      Check out an app called Flicktunes. It does exactly what you're saying can't be done. It will play all of your music instead of using the iPod app on the iPhone. I've been using it for a while. You use finger swipe gestures to control the music. I bought it (it was $1.99) to be able to use two fingers to swipe and skip ahead 30 seconds - great for podcasts with commercials.
                      How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

Putting this thing as your CarPC is underkill and definitely not worth the amount of work to get it "on par" with a Mini.

However, getting the OS off of it, and using the SDK to build a decent touch friendly front end would be the ultimate goal of anything iPad/CarPC related.

The dev kit for the iPhone must be easy enough to get 140k apps, so the iPad SDK should be just as easy. I cant speak for any developer here on MP3car.com/maccar, but I wonder if the OSX dev is a hurdle this can make easier to surmount by going iPad and not OSX operating system.

Again, please dont imagine this thing BEING your CarPC as to why I started this topic.
                        (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by meagain View Post
                          With my iPhone in the car, I can play Pandora & music from my iPod with Navigon running. Same as will be with the iPad. No need to write any special app to do this, just jailbreak like everyone does which takes these devices into the stratosphere.
                          I agree. I have an iphone 3g that i run jailbroken and i have to agree it is the only way run an iphone due to the fact that it makes the device infinitely more capable. I can also see the draw of having to only buy one device for $500 vs. the mini for $600 and then another $200 or so for a screen. but there are some major draw backs to using this in your car especially when jailbreaking is necessary to enable the features that you need.

Here is the problem with jailbreaking. It is unreliable. The problem lies in the fact that apple is fighting to keep you from jailbreaking your device. Even on the new iphone 3gs you still have to do a tethered boot to circumvent the default iphone securities and enable the jailbreak. This means that if the device ever crashes or needs to reboot, you are stuck until you can plug it into a computer and rerun the boot process ( this may not actually be the case anymore, but the last time that i checked it was, So if you know better please let me know). Then you have to wait in fear everytime apple releases an update to the OS to see if it will be hackable or not. Apple is getting much better and patching holes and fighting against the dev-team to prevent their devices from being hacked. While you can guarantee that people will relentlessly try to find exploits, they are getting increasingly hard to find. With the iPad there may be a hack for it a day after it is released, or a month or two (if ever) later, you just don't know. My point is that I am get tired of trying to fight apple for control of a device i paid money for.

Secondly, while the act of jailbreaking is harmless, there are a lot of apps in the jailbreak world that seriously compromise the stability of the device. I can't tell you how many times i have downloaded something from cydia only for it to through my device into an endless loop of crashing into "safe mode". While this isn't a huge deal most of the time, i can say for sure that I have noticed a decrease in speed in my iphone.

Who knows maybe apple will release some amazing new features (fingers crossed for multi-tasking) in the new iPhone OS 4.0. If they do, then the tablet may very well become a viable option for some. IMHO i just don't think the iPad is worth the fight against steve jobs and then your car, to get this all to work. But to each is own and if you really think that you can create a good in-car user experience with this thing, then by all means go for it, document it and share with the rest of us.
                          Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

It depends what jailbreak 'apps' you put on. I'm running mine very lean. No superfluous stuff like notifier or where the little weather icon displays live temps, etc. Just basics.
                            I'm not seeing any battery draw or any lag. I also feel it's all improved much vs. a year ago. I've never had a crash.

I only have Backgrounder, tethering, SBSettings (godsend), maybe 1-2 more tidbits. Then just stuff to make it 'pretty' like 5-icon dock, etc.

Things are SO much better and at least with what I'm running - flawless.

Not sure what you mean about this tethered boot thing. There is no boot process anymore, just a nice clean app like Pwnage and it takes perhaps 1 minute.

But I think the iPad for many will be enough of a carputer for the most part. It will for me anyway. And it'll fit perfectly resting on my slide out ashtray against the center of my dash. Perfect. I'm excited.

Comment

It solves one very big problem - it provides direct touchscreen control over the iPhone OS. I've been using TVOut Landscape and it is pretty good, provides a little red dot on the screen for where you just clicked, but you're still working blind.

This package gives you a large enough touchscreen for the car and direct touchscreen control PLUS the computer to drive it.

So that's all good. The lack of multitasking is problematic but not impossible to overcome. The question is whether or not it is actually worth it to poke around and try out.

I'm a little torn. I will probably buy one but I also recognize that it is sort of...beta hardware. There's some rough edges to the hardware that seem uncharacteristic for Apple but again, it is a 1.0 product. I guess I could wait, but then again, that means I'm not on leading edge.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X