Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple iPad

So it's called iPad!

Zooming and swapping around like an iPhone. Very interesting.

Some tech specs:

It has a 9.7-inch IPS display, wide angle view - bus it is daylight viewable under direct sunlight (that is, reflective or transflective display with AG coating, polarized and optically bonded like some tablets?)

Its half an inch thin and weighs just 1.5 pounds. That's good. Most tablet pcs are .75" thin (slates, of course, they're the only one comparable), and up to 3.5Lbs or less for about 3.5 (Motion F5) to 9h (Fujitsu ST5111) on one standard battery, more with extras. This one? Claimed 10hs, one month on stand by!!!

Multitouch capacitive screen, which is good, not resistive. Its powered by a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, and has 16GB to 64GB of flash.

It has 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. 30-pin connector, speaker, microphone, accelerometer and compass. No 3G?! (Maybe AT&T vetoed it for now? Imagine the traffic...)
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Good!

And they're all unlocked. If your carrier (GSM) works with SIMs, it will work.

Comment

What a terrible name. iPad sounds like it should be a technological feminine hygiene product.

Comment

Starts at $499!

Interesting. RAM mounts? Other? hummm.

I say not bad. $130.00 for the 3G option. How much cost a 7" LCD plus an Atom board again? Just saying. No idea how a front end can be developed for this, one must be able to retrieve it from the car though.

Comment

Wait, what? It has a 9.7 inch screen and it can be used as a cellular phone?
          Ampie Case
          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
            Wait, what? It has a 9.7 inch screen and it can be used as a cellular phone?
            Cellular data only, no talk.

Comment

although it is only a matter of time before there is a nice VoIP app for this, then I think it will be a little easier to use. I like the idea, but I don't know about the app limits of the App Store. I think I might buy one just to "test" for work

Comment

You mean like this?
                http://lifehacker.com/5456757/google...powered-webapp

Also, it's like a MacBook crossed with an iPod Touch, right? They should have called it the Match...

Comment

I don't understand what problem this is trying to solve.

also, http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/c...aid_it/c0jii8e
                  Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                  Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                  Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

The future is here, and it's a big *** table followed by a big *** ipod.
                    ---------
                    I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
                    if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Meltz014 View Post
                      You mean like this?
                      http://lifehacker.com/5456757/google...powered-webapp

Also, it's like a MacBook crossed with an iPod Touch, right? They should have called it the Match...
                      actually I already thought of that, I use it on my iPhone for my voice account. But the iPad cannot use that because the 3G is only for data, not voice. The HTML5 webapp opens up the phone app and calls the number via google voice.

I was thinking more along the lines of Fring that is out for the iphone already

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post

I do not see the appeal of having this in a home for usage when laptop are just as simple. But when you travel on a plane 200" days a year you only buy laptops for durability and weight( also presentation ability in my case). I have long looked for a way to jsut make and show powerpoint from my iphone(which i despise by the way) for a long time to keep from having to haul around a laptop and power charger in addition to all the other crap I have to take. This fills that void in about as small a package as possible.

I know I could go with a Archos 5 android table or something along those lines, but if I am going to bring something that will not fit in my pocket then I want to be able to actually use it for other things like normal internet or even the odd eBook rather than having to carry my kindle also.

I love the idea in the ipad, but I don't really care for the software implementation, I wish it was a more robust OS. But who knows until they are actually out for the consumer.

Comment

I think the ipod touch is a complete failure. It needs hard buttons to work as a media player.

Now how much is the kindle again? Evdo? I think this is at least better than that.

I'd like to use it as a carputer. IF the screen is sunlight readable, and IF I can hook an external HD with media, it can work.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post

Didn't you see the presentation, it's a bridge between the iPhone and the MacBook, otherwise known as a niche that doesn't actually exist but Apple's going to sell you on it anyway.

Comment

Gizmodo: 8 Things that suck about the iPad:

No multitasking?

No HDMI/VGA out

No Flash

Adapters for USB even!
                              And more.

Hummm...I think they have a point there and maybe my optimism is a little unfounded?

Comment

Working...
                              X