Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ipad build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ipad build

    Just found this nice install video for an ipad

    http://www.bookofjoe.com/2010/04/wor...tallation.html

  • #2
    Already been posted in two other threads!
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

    Comment


    • #3
      I hate to be so negative, but what a terrible idea. Very feature-lacking for such a steep price. I just don't think it belongs in the car.

      Then again, I've never understood mac...

      Apple: "Here's the new MacBook Pro!"

      Fanboi: "Cool, what can I do with it?"

      Apple: "Well, not much really, but it looks nice and it's $1900!"

      Fanboi: "Great, I'll take it!!"

      I guess I need to buy one so I can understand why they are so cool. Anybody wanna loan me some bux?
      Tidder

      Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


      I Wish I could ban people

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tidder View Post
        I hate to be so negative, but what a terrible idea. Very feature-lacking for such a steep price. I just don't think it belongs in the car.

        Then again, I've never understood mac...

        Apple: "Here's the new MacBook Pro!"

        Fanboi: "Cool, what can I do with it?"

        Apple: "Well, not much really, but it looks nice and it's $1900!"

        Fanboi: "Great, I'll take it!!"

        I guess I need to buy one so I can understand why they are so cool. Anybody wanna loan me some bux?
        lol, what? You haven't used macs recently, or used them for much. I use them because they can do everything that windows machines can do, and many features beyond that. The "it just works" mentality is very nice.

        My MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 gb of ram works significantly faster than my work Dell Precision M6300 2.19 Ghz with 2 gb of ram, yet it cost 1/2 the price.

        Just use one for a while, make up your own mind on it, then if you don't like it, don't use it. Throwing stones with no background knowledge is kinda

        Re: "feature lacking." Please use an iPad and research the endless apps that are out there. There's not a single thing I've used my carputer to do that I can't use the iPad to do (once 4.0 comes out). That and the iPad will be ~60% the cost of my setup with a much larger + sunlight readable display.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jr4284 View Post
          lol, what? You haven't used macs recently, or used them for much. I use them because they can do everything that windows machines can do, and many features beyond that. The "it just works" mentality is very nice.

          My MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 gb of ram works significantly faster than my work Dell Precision M6300 2.19 Ghz with 2 gb of ram, yet it cost 1/2 the price.

          Just use one for a while, make up your own mind on it, then if you don't like it, don't use it. Throwing stones with no background knowledge is kinda

          Re: "feature lacking." Please use an iPad and research the endless apps that are out there. There's not a single thing I've used my carputer to do that I can't use the iPad to do (once 4.0 comes out). That and the iPad will be ~60% the cost of my setup with a much larger + sunlight readable display.
          I think Tidder was arguing against the outrageous pricing for a product that really doesn't do any more than a cheaper product except that maybe it "looks better". Tidder is in no way a Windows/MS fanboi. He knows what he's talking about for the most part. When Tidd thinks a product is overrated, he does so with sound reasons, not just "I'm a PC your a Mac" type arguments.

          Apple doesn't sell mere products. They sell an "experience" and you pay a premium for this experience. You pay the price, and you are now in the "club".

          Also, this "multitasking" feature isn't true multi-tasking. It's an API apps can use to run in the background. Do apps get this functionality without code changes? I highly doubt it. Also, the iPad still doesn't have usb host. nor can it run any apps that I care about.

          I give props to the Apple hype machine. Using words like "We know your going to love this next feature" and "the IPhone really made things like pandora possible" if constantly fed to you would convince anyone that you "need" the i[insert random product here]. It's awesome how good they are at convincing you that zomg, Apple invented multi-tasking and advertising on the phone and you will love it!
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

          Comment


          • #6
            Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files or FLAC? My carPC can. Sure, I can transcode and lose quality, but who'd want to do that?

            I have some background knowledge of mac, but it's from 2 years ago or longer when I was actually interested in getting one. I've looked into bootcamp and Parallels so I can still run those needed windows apps for the job.

            But coming full circle, I didn't see anything the mac could do that my PC couldn't. They look nifty, and I still want an intel mac because of that, but I don't think I'd end up running OS X.
            Tidder

            Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


            I Wish I could ban people

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files? My carPC can.

              I have some background knowledge of mac, but it's from 2 years ago or longer when I was actually interested in getting one. I've looked into bootcamp and Parallels so I can still run those needed windows apps for the job.

              But coming full circle, I didn't see anything the mac could do that my PC couldn't. They look nifty, and I still want an intel mac, but I don't think I'd end up running OS X.
              We are coming from different backgrounds. I've used iTunes for my music exclusively for the last 6+ years, so I don't have any issues. I'll give it to you that adding in an extra step for conversion is not my idea of a good time.

              And yeah, I use VMWare fusion to run the few things. The only thing I miss is minesweeper!

              The "what can the mac do that the PC can't" is more a matter of experience. Certain things like putting together a professional looking slide show can be done in both platforms, but takes 1/4 of the time on the mac. Just functions to make it easy. It's all a matter of preference at the end of the day.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                Umm, case and point... can the iPad play wma files or FLAC? My carPC can.

                Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)
                "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                RevFE
                My Shop

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                  Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                    Um... no your carpc can't play FLAC... and I should know (Unless you're a liar)
                    Ahaha, VLC sucka. For when RevFE doesn't have what it takes. Although I must say, VLC sucks on my CarPC and causes me to reboot when I want to be finished listening to FLAC. Otherwise VLC doesn't close and the machine becomes unstable...
                    Tidder

                    Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                    I Wish I could ban people

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Zodplay plays FLAC on the iPhone. It will be renamed vlc4iPhone in the near future.

                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                        Zodplay plays FLAC on the iPhone. It will be renamed vlc4iPhone in the near future.

                        so with this nugget, i will throw out another challenge -- ipad/touch/phone doesn't do crossovers-- i need 5 channels of audio--eq, independant volume, and crossovers...

                        and, as i said in the other threads-- this is not a complete install, he still needs to connect all of the audio...
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                        next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Can an iPad control relays and read an array of sensors like some of us do with a Fusion Brain or similar device?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I can think of at least a dozen things my carpc can do that the ipad can't.....but certainly not the reverse.
                            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                            - Always Recruiting Developers -
                            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                              I hate to be so negative, but what a terrible idea. Very feature-lacking for such a steep price. I just don't think it belongs in the car.

                              Then again, I've never understood mac...

                              Apple: "Here's the new MacBook Pro!"

                              Fanboi: "Cool, what can I do with it?"

                              Apple: "Well, not much really, but it looks nice and it's $1900!"

                              Fanboi: "Great, I'll take it!!"

                              I guess I need to buy one so I can understand why they are so cool. Anybody wanna loan me some bux?
                              I agree with you 100%. I think the iPad is good for simple little things, but not vehicle infotainment.

                              Also I will say OSX is ok, I wont say its garbage because then I would be lying. The only issue is that when your a Windows user jumping over to OSX, you have to kind of blank out your mind to use it. Windows is much more technical and if you go into OSX with that mind set, you will not understand it.

                              Originally posted by jr4284 View Post
                              lol, what? You haven't used macs recently, or used them for much. I use them because they can do everything that windows machines can do, and many features beyond that. The "it just works" mentality is very nice.

                              My MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 gb of ram works significantly faster than my work Dell Precision M6300 2.19 Ghz with 2 gb of ram, yet it cost 1/2 the price.

                              Just use one for a while, make up your own mind on it, then if you don't like it, don't use it. Throwing stones with no background knowledge is kinda

                              Re: "feature lacking." Please use an iPad and research the endless apps that are out there. There's not a single thing I've used my carputer to do that I can't use the iPad to do (once 4.0 comes out). That and the iPad will be ~60% the cost of my setup with a much larger + sunlight readable display.
                              I think Tidder is talking more on a Car PC level. 99.9% of the time, MAC users have to use Windows inside of OSX to get all the features. Thats like having a middle man for no reason. Anyways debating Apple vs PC as far as computers is stupid because they are all based on the same technology, Apple just makes it look all pretty. The issue is that the iPad is based on a phone, with the phone feature ripped out, then a big screen slapped onto it. Also if you honestly think all the stuff people have on their Car PCs, the iPad can do also, well I'm sorry your living in the fantasy world of Apple. The iPad cant use most likely 75% of all the devices and stuff I use on my install. Just to get multitasking working on a iPhone/iPad you have to jail break the thing and even then it isn't all that impressive. I will say that the iPad is nice is because you dont see or really deal with the OS and it transitions well. Other then that, I don't see this even beginning to scratch the surface because its limited by its phone technology.

                              PS: have you watched the video at all? Ddi you see how the iPad had a massive reflection? So image that on a bright sunny? It may be readable but at the same time who ever is in the path of the sunbeam this thing is going to reflect wont be very happy. I have a screen with a similar gloss and for me to use it on a sunny day I have to aim it towards the floor for it to be usable. So I think you should rethink that comment.
                              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                              1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                              1x Win 7 PC

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X