Simple ipad car dock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple ipad car dock

Here's the simple dock in my Mazda 6 I made for the iPad. It charges and connects the iPad directly through the car stereo via one of the Apple accessory cords. And yes the video doesn't show if its connected and I try to watch a video, but I'm driving so it playing on rear mounted monitors is fine. Once the 3g comes out I'll have GPS, and Pandora, along with the bluetooth OBDII and all the other stuff that goes along with being an iPad. I know it's not a carpc and I won't be able to type term papers while watching movies and convert video formats but it's a car and this works perfect for me.

Great job!

Comment

nice work!! you can barely tell that there is anything there once you take the ipad off the mount.

i think i like seeing the ipad upright instead of on its side-- the only reason being that i know that not all programs support landscape view, and so landscape-only installs bother me
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Awesome job. Quick question for you:

What happens when you rapidly accelerate? Does the iPad want to fall towards you? Do you have any type of restraint on its motion, or is it bouncing all over while driving?

Comment

It doesn'tmove at all. There's a clip that holds in place.

Comment

Any chance we could get a close up? I can't see a clip there. (Unless you're saying dock connector = clip)

Comment

Here's the clip. Kinda hard to see.

Comment

Nice. I like ingenuity like that. Very streamlined and low key.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Comment

Very nice. I like it.

Now tell me more about the cable you're using. Is it the Apple AV cable? Or the regular usb charger/sync? So you can't see video, huh?

And how you connect it to your stereo for sound?

Thanks.
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

It's just the Apple A/V cable, the video won't play out from the I pad itself but I have monitors in the back and one in the map box in the center of the dash if I want to watch. as for audio I have a PAC RCA box that the RCA's plug in to and that then plugs directly in to the back of my stereo.

Comment

Where did you buy the clip? (Have a link?) I looking to do something similar and walked around my hardware store looking for a simple solution for to hold it in place.

Great work!
                        --------
                        mykolJay
                        99 Accord coupe
                        http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                        My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

The clip that holds it in at top is a peice of metal that I bent in to an L shape then used rubber to cover it, the rubber extends past the back end in to the dash to create a "hinge". I'm actually going to get rif of the top bracket as soon as I get the 3g and silicone sleeve in favor for a cleaner idea.

The bottom peice you see extending just past the ipod plug is basically a U shape with little wings at the top to hold the plug from dropping down when I put the iPad on it.

Comment

Picked up the 3G and put navigon on it (had it on my iPhone too) and it workin' great alng with pandora and a few other apps I've got everything I need for in car use.

Comment

Working...
                            X