Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Subaru STi with 3G iPad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2006 Subaru STi with 3G iPad

    Love it or hate it, my prototype came in today

    2006 STi running A/V + Nav off of iPad 3G

    (note, the prototype HAS NOT been finished/painted... this was just a fit/function check)

    Custom bezel snaps right into place of OEM bezel, using same mounts/screws. HVAC transfers over the same. Nothing changes.

    You can see I"m using the iPad dock. I have power coming in over a simple USB connection spliced into my cig lighter, so I'm charged/charging at all times. Headphone out jack to equalizer to amp.

    Empty: (There will be a adhesive foam logo in the negative space for a little more style/protection)


    Inserting iPad:


    Docked:


    As the driver:


    Google maps:

  • #2
    Way to go! Lookin good so far.

    Comment


    • #3
      Couple of questions:

      1. Looks very good! Very OEM looking.

      2. Will that work with aftermarket cases for the iPad? If you don't plan to use one, forget about this, just curious.

      3. Aren't you going to miss the ability to tilt/rotate it? I mean, I know it would not be easy. I bought this to use with my tablet (it allows tilting and more), hope it will work with the iPad too. But you'd have to hide it somewhere in the middle of your mount, recessed and found/build a 75mm vesa mount for an iPad case..looks like you're already committed though, just a thought.

      4. How come you spend this much time and work integrating the iPad and left your radar detector like that? What cord is that? You should spend sometime there, definitely NOT OEM!
      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

      07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
        Couple of questions:

        1. Looks very good! Very OEM looking.

        2. Will that work with aftermarket cases for the iPad? If you don't plan to use one, forget about this, just curious.

        3. Aren't you going to miss the ability to tilt/rotate it? I mean, I know it would not be easy. I bought this to use with my tablet (it allows tilting and more), hope it will work with the iPad too. But you'd have to hide it somewhere in the middle of your mount, recessed and found/build a 75mm vesa mount for an iPad case..looks like you're already committed though, just a thought.

        4. How come you spend this much time and work integrating the iPad and left your radar detector like that? What cord is that? You should spend sometime there, definitely NOT OEM!
        Yeah I hardwired the radar, then windshield got hit by hail... they replaced it and put the rear view too high and now the radar wont' fit up top... very annoying.

        Not too worried about the rotation. I don't have a ton of room in the Impreza. Kinda just the reality.

        I gotta go... vacation tomorrow!

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool.

          Enjoy your vacation and keep us posted.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

          07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

          Comment


          • #6
            i really like it! nice work!

            i think you should post a youtube video, claiming the "first truly integrated, and working ipad install" (being that the soundman audio only posted a vid of a partially working install...)
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


            next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

            Comment


            • #7
              Good job, excellent fab work too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                i really like it! nice work!

                i think you should post a youtube video, claiming the "first truly integrated, and working ipad install" (being that the soundman audio only posted a vid of a partially working install...)
                Haha, I like this idea. Right now I'm out of the country, though. Sucks that I can't play with my setup, but at the same time, it's 86, sunny, and the water is 88. Grand Cayman is a nice place .

                I do have a problem, though:

                When getting audio out from the dock, my volume control is frozen and maxed out. It just says "Dock Connector." From a programming side, it makes total sense. Whoever is docking it is sending the signal to a receiver, and for the highest quality audio, you should send the highest signal from the source and let the receiver modulate it. Unfortunately, right now mine's running directly into my amp and I can't do that.

                Obvious solution: Equalizer. However, it's hardcore overkill. Beyond the $300++ price tag, right now we can't pull optical audio out of the iPad. Fine tuning frequencies that are sent out of a 3.5mm port seems like the wrong way to go about things.

                What I want is a way to just control volume. Ideas?

                Edit: I might be a bit slow... I'm just talking about a line level volume controller, no?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I use this as a pre-amp in my FX, but maybe it can work for you as well?

                  JL-Audio CL-RLC active line driver, about $45.00 or so.

                  The manual says full mute to +10dB.
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                  07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So do you plug the Apple AV cable to the back of your dock?
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                    07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                      I use this as a pre-amp in my FX, but maybe it can work for you as well?

                      JL-Audio CL-RLC active line driver, about $45.00 or so.

                      The manual says full mute to +10dB.
                      That looks like exactly what I want.

                      Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                      So do you plug the Apple AV cable to the back of your dock?
                      The 30 pin connector brings in power only. I don't send audio over it.

                      I plug this:

                      from the back of the dock to my amp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                        I use this as a pre-amp in my FX, but maybe it can work for you as well?

                        JL-Audio CL-RLC active line driver, about $45.00 or so.

                        The manual says full mute to +10dB.

                        what i originally thought of recommending-- i use a couple of them in my own (carputer ) install, and they work great.

                        but, with a ipad/pod/touch install, you have a couple different options.

                        this hifonics unit looks pretty good for a ipod type install, and includes a line driver, and a little bit of eq to fine tune the sound..
                        http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nics+HFEQ.html

                        or, if your amps have a healthy signal already, and you are happy with the overall sound(don't feel the need to adjust the sound), this is a volume control that ties into the rca cable.

                        http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+Control-.html

                        the advantage to that is that it is cheap, the disadvantage is that you need to route the audio cables wherever you want this knob mounted..

                        there are other similar solutions out there by other companies, these are just a couple of anti-head unit ideas i got

                        now, quit paying attention to us, and enjoy your vacation!!!
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                        next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                          now, quit paying attention to us, and enjoy your vacation!!!
                          +1!
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                          07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I can honestly say that, during any and all posts related to this topic, I have had a beer by my side.

                            And I obviously brought my iPad with me. This thing is a damn magnet. You have it out and EVERYONE comes up to you asking questions and wanting to touch it. ... if only I were single This + a puppy = can't miss.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              that looks so sweet. I was thinking about making something like that for my car (01 honda accord) in landscape but I saw that at&t no longer has unlimited data plans so I'm just gonna get an iPod touch for music. Nice look you have there though and good job.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X