Dodge Charger iPad Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Charger iPad Install

Stole jackyyuen's idea for this Dodge Charger iPad install. You'll need Apple's $39.00 case for this install.

Went to Lowes and bought a $2.00 package of mini bungee cords. Popped open the center stack face, and attached the bungees to the inside of the a/c vents. Works great, easily removable, and it holds the iPad tight and stretches out to put the ipad in and out.

I ordered a 3.5mm to 3.55mm right angle 1 ft cable for the audio input.

Always wanted a full in car computer, now I have one that has built in 3G internet, easily removable, and it completely built around the touch screen environment.

Now you just need to find the elusive black bungee!

Comment

When that bungee cord breaks or comes dislodged, you're going to have an iPad incident.
      I can see it falling on the shifter with all sorts of horrible possibilities:
      - Screen of the iPad is broken form hitting the shifter
      - If you have a manual (with a Hemi Charger, this is pretty much a MUST!), it could knock you out of gear while driving, which presents a dangerous situation.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        When that bungee cord breaks or comes dislodged, you're going to have an iPad incident.
        - If you have a manual (with a Hemi Charger, this is pretty much a MUST!), it could knock you out of gear while driving, which presents a dangerous situation.
        That's okay though because that danger is overridden by the distraction using the interface causes, which is more likely to cause an accident quicker than a bungee breaking
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

It's an auto column shifter, so all of this is a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
            That's okay though because that danger is overridden by the distraction using the interface causes, which is more likely to cause an accident quicker than a bungee breaking
            Interesting. Are you somehow saying that a normal car-puter is somewhat less of a distraction?

Comment

Originally posted by MobileEVDO View Post
              It's an auto column shifter, so all of this is a non-issue.
              If you honestly believe that iPad won't be damaged or cause some other problem (lodged under your gas or brake pedal, perhaps?) when that bungee cord mounting gives way, you are in for a rude awakening.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

I have bashed more tablets to the floor of my car than I dare recall - with much stronger supports than the above bungee cord. I've always been lucky - either I softened the blow with my hand or the Fujitsu's screen hit the shifter just right so it didn't break.

I still have an old, old tablet with a bruised screen (circular pattern of dead/dim pixels) to remind me of the good old days. It now server as my digital pictures frame.

Question is, when it happens to him, will he admit it on the forum.
                HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

If you honestly believe that iPad won't be damaged or cause some other problem (lodged under your gas or brake pedal, perhaps?) when that bungee cord mounting gives way, you are in for a rude awakening.
                  That's OK, from the pictures it's a LHD vehicle, so it is highly unlikely he will driving anywhere near me.

Comment

if only they made distracted driver warning stickers...something nice and big so you can see it when they swerve into oncoming traffic
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Interesting. Are you somehow saying that a normal car-puter is somewhat less of a distraction?
                      yes, to a extent-- most of us use a front end that has much larger buttons then a normal computer interface, so it takes less concentration to change tracks, volume, etc..

granted, you still need to take your eyes off the road for a second to coordinate your finger to press the button, but it is larger, so it takes less concentration.

though it appears that there is a ipad compatible FE in the works-- check the bluehawk solutions thread in the main mac section.

oh, and i would recommend listening at least to gizmo-- he has run large screen tablet pc's mounted to his dash for possibly longer then he might want to admit, so if he voices concern over the bungee cord, you might want to try to consider other solutions..the last worry you need in a car is if your audio device will turn into a deadly flying object in a accident/hard stop/sharp turn...
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Exactly...I guess "real" CarPCs operate through mind control.

Comment

Seems more like a way to show off your ipad than a way to get a computer in the car.

Comment

Use the iPad, then use a carpc, then come back and talk. This has been discussed in detail in other topics, but let me sum it up for you. I've used both, and imo trying to use an ipad rather than something designed to be used while a car is in motion is silly. Granted, it's never a good idea, but at least most frontends are designed with the thought that people will do it anyway, whereas the ipad has the same issue that cell phones have. It's meant to have your undivided attention during use and applications are written to suit. While this is a cool low cost install, the fact that there's a news page of some sort on the screen illustrates the point quite well.
                            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                              Question is, when it happens to him, will he admit it on the forum.
                              If he does, I am willing to bet that there will be no responsibility for the craptastic mounting system he chose.

Although I do agree with jusjake. A black bungee cord would look better (specifically, less "ghetto"), especially when the cop-attracting iPad isn't in the car.
                              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                              X