Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ipad - Reverse cam ideas??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ipad - Reverse cam ideas??

    Does anyone know of any current reverse cam setups for the ipad? I've got a few ideas to throw around and it does seem very feasible, from a number of approaches.

    There currently are several security camera apps that get the camera feed off of a server such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVOC...eature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkB9dIG8h3E

    So perhaps, using the sheeva plug someone would be able to upload the camera feed to a server and then just access it through such apps or integrated within a fully complete carpc app [hey bluehawksolutions - listen in ! ]

    Perhaps, a switch or a button could placed in a spot by the shifter so that when the Reverse gear is engaged, the button or switch is pressed or triggered (thinking for manual cars) and in-turn, opens the reverse cam application. This last part is me just thinking away and wondering what if but just optimistic brainstorming.
    My worklog! - Budget Carpc with Removable Mimo 720-s Monitor

  • #2
    Any (that I have ever seen, YMMV ) IP CCTV camera have the ability to be polled directly for a streamed image, these can be embedded into a web page easily or infact directly connected from a video player that supports streaming video.

    If you already have a reversing camera fitted, check out the usual places (froogle/ebay/etc) for an "IP CCTV Server" MPEG4/H.264 are considered the best versions as they use very little video bandwidth are supported by pretty much everything with a screen and an internet connection these days

    Comment


    • #3
      It is a piece of cake to connect a webcam to a Sheeva plug and put the image on a server page.

      The problem would be to tell the iPad to launch the app. You'll need something that signals the iPad and causes a launch. MAYBE some kind of activator action but I dunno of any way to do it.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

      Comment


      • #4
        http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/04/c...d-problem-app/

        Comment


        • #5
          so you just need to install a iphone in your bumper, and then figure out a way to launch the app on it...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


          next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

          Comment


          • #6
            hey guys i forgot about checking responses to this thread as i usually receive 0 lol. Bugbyte, your right, it does seem pretty involved in getting an automated application launch via a button press. Maybe for now, the reverse cam could simply be launched normally on the ipad and used for when most needed. For instance, when parking in a tight space or when there is a cute girl in the car behind u at a traffic light haha..

            @cabe: I honestly dont know much about IP CCTV cams but i will read up on it. They do sound expensive tho as Im very budget conscious (and cheap) lol.
            My worklog! - Budget Carpc with Removable Mimo 720-s Monitor

            Comment


            • #7
              I have an app called Camera-A and Camera-B. One runs on the iPad, the other on your iPhone. It relays the picture over BT to the iPad. Frame rate is pretty slow.

              As mentioned, it doesn't make any sense to buy an iPhone and use it as a backup camera. The only other option I can think of is a web cam to a server and an html 5 page that shows the picture it is receiving.

              Still too difficult, I think.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                yes, the ip cctv cameras might be a good idea-- but they do tend to cost a lot for decent models.. for a decent model, expect to pay over $200

                i also am unsure of how well they will work with a mobile safari browser.. i have never tried to connect to a ip camera with my iphone...

                i have used arecont, and axis brand cameras in the past, both will display fine in IE, or firefox. The Axis brand cameras have much better documentation on how to embed the image into a webpage though...

                but with any of these, it would probably require more equipment. axis offers a wireless ip camera (207 series) that might allow you to create a ad-hoc network, but i have never used this camera, so can't be sure...

                also, a quick search found that linksys makes a wireless ip camera for $150 one of the reviews claimed that it worked well with the iphone..
                My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

                Comment


                • #9
                  hi guys,
                  any new updates on this idea?

                  i would like the ipad to auto switch to the cam, when in reverse.

                  or am i after the hopes dreams and fairy dust?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With my project front-end app for iPad will have that ability.

                    I'm going to be implementing a computer component that will communicate with the ipad over bluetooth or wifi, and the computer will issue the command to bring up the video feed it gets passed from the reverse camera.

                    That feature is a while away, but is in my list of items I want to address when I get the install actually in my car.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by krillin47 View Post
                      With my project front-end app for iPad will have that ability.

                      I'm going to be implementing a computer component that will communicate with the ipad over bluetooth or wifi, and the computer will issue the command to bring up the video feed it gets passed from the reverse camera.

                      That feature is a while away, but is in my list of items I want to address when I get the install actually in my car.
                      Very excited about this.

                      I already have a backup camera installed that's hooked up to my Pioneer Double-DIN. Looking to get this replaced w/ an iPad. Will your app work w/ back-up cams (RCA-input), or will it have to be for the computer (USB)?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VTFIJIGraphix View Post
                        Very excited about this.

                        I already have a backup camera installed that's hooked up to my Pioneer Double-DIN. Looking to get this replaced w/ an iPad. Will your app work w/ back-up cams (RCA-input), or will it have to be for the computer (USB)?
                        The computer component will handle the video input, so it just depends on the direction I go with that. My guess is that you may have to have a USB input for RCA if you want to go that route.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Valeo !!! WiFi Rear Camera !

                          The newly announced WiFi Valeo Rear camera (Wireless Vue) fits the bill perfectly.
                          I hope they release it soon

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZVALoiMTT8


                          Originally posted by respo87 View Post
                          Does anyone know of any current reverse cam setups for the ipad? I've got a few ideas to throw around and it does seem very feasible, from a number of approaches.

                          There currently are several security camera apps that get the camera feed off of a server such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVOC...eature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkB9dIG8h3E

                          So perhaps, using the sheeva plug someone would be able to upload the camera feed to a server and then just access it through such apps or integrated within a fully complete carpc app [hey bluehawksolutions - listen in ! ]

                          Perhaps, a switch or a button could placed in a spot by the shifter so that when the Reverse gear is engaged, the button or switch is pressed or triggered (thinking for manual cars) and in-turn, opens the reverse cam application. This last part is me just thinking away and wondering what if but just optimistic brainstorming.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Valeo Wifi Reverse Camera (Wireless Vue) fits the bill perfectly.
                            I cant wait to get this...

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZVALoiMTT8

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X