iPad install: head unit or no ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad install: head unit or no ?

I'm thinking of doing an iPad install in my truck.

The big question I have is should I have a head unit or not ? If so, which one ?

I rarely play CDs. I could easily convert all my CD material to mp3s.

Dash space is at a premium in my truck.

The big thing I need is an AM/FM tuner.

What would you do ?

Thanks

You definitely want a head unit so you will have bluetooth for calls and since the ipad does overheat and you won't have it in your car at all times, you need a HU. As far as headunits, I would get the Kenwood KDC-X994: It has USB and aux input from the back among other features.

Here's what I did: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ipad...silverado.html
    Motorized iPad 2 installed in Silverado

Comment

Thanks for replying, Torres.

I was looking at your install. It inspired me to do my truck, which is a Ford Superduty.

I have a dash space problem. What do you think of mounting the iPad in portrait orientation rather than landscape ?

Comment

I'm worried about being able to see the display in bright daytime conditions.

How is the iPad and the X994 in this regard ?

Thanks

Comment

I would definitely go with Landscape because you will get a bigger image size for videos and most of the apps have more information in Landscape mode. I haven't had any problems with visibility, but I do have my windows tinted. Another bonus of getting the X994 is that you will be able to use your steering wheel controls to control volume and other features and it lets you pick the color of the screen to match your Ford's interior...
          Motorized iPad 2 installed in Silverado

Comment

Most legacy iPhone apps do not work in landscape mode, just so you know. But they look terrible blown up 2x anyway.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

How good is and AM/FM on the X994 ?

I don't understand why we need the head unit to do BT with the phone. Why can't the phone connect to the iPad and have it do the BT stuff and just feed the HU the audio ? No software to do that ? I can't seen how scrolling through a contact list on the X994 would be better than doing the same on the iPad.

I'll probably get an X994 once I get my dash space situation figured out.

Comment

Not sure if this gonna answer your question or not but Apple's implementation of BlueTooth is horrible! It's very limited to what you can do within the Apple framework.

Interesting enough is that XP+centrafuse+iphone works like a charm!

Comment

Not sure if this gonna answer your question or not but Apple's implementation of BlueTooth is horrible! It's very limited to what you can do within the Apple framework.

Comment

Have you tried iheart radio app (iphone or iPad)? It carries local FM and AM stations, just not all of them. You can install and check. And it also display lyrics of what's currently playing.

I don't think you can connect the phone to the iPad to make or receive calls using the iPad's mic/line out. I just tested with my iP4 at least, and they can't see each other. I searched on cydia and you can only find keyboard, gps and mouse BT stacks.
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

unless you plan on purchasing a 4ch amp to power your components, with external volume control and wiring a power switch, i would suggest a HU with an AUX input on the back to hide the audio wire
                      MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
                        Surely they or someone else will fix that at some point.

Charm = do everything a x994 HU would do, ie allow a hands free call, mute the music, etc ? Like Sync in a Ford car ?

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                          Have you tried iheart radio app (iphone or iPad)? It carries local FM and AM stations, just not all of them. You can install and check. And it also display lyrics of what's currently playing.
                          That is an Internet based service. If I had Internet access while driving I wouldn't need an AM/FM receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by david69leonard View Post
                            unless you plan on purchasing a 4ch amp to power your components, with external volume control and wiring a power switch, i would suggest a HU with an AUX input on the back to hide the audio wire
                            I'm thinking the same thing. I just need a simple one with a good AM/FM receiver and power amp section. The iPad can do the rest.

Having said that, the X994 or the KIV700 look pretty nice and I'll probably get one of them.

Comment

I started my obsession with an older ipod/alpine deck and was gonna upgrade to the 2 din 3" screen but ... a youtube video caught my eye (bugbyte's) and found my way here.

Charm = do everything a x994 HU would do, ie allow a hands free call, mute the music, etc ? Like Sync in a Ford car ?
                              Not sure which way you mean this ...

if meaning a HU is just as good/better than a carpc ... I probably would agree for most people.

If you mean, can you do that? yep, pretty much (however, I have never tried Ford sync ... I've been on the other side of the big pond for too long

@ BT stack
                              Apple is at 10.6 and I'd say they have lost ground rather than moved forward. 10.3 actually had some good examples. However, I haven't upgraded to the paid version for developers. Something might have changed in the past 3 months or so.

A few programs have actually gotten handsfree to work on the mac. But in general Apple products don't like to offer the full BT stack that everybody else does.

Will they ever? lolo, I wish!!! I would have saved hours of google time

Comment

Working...
                              X