Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End App for iPad

Hello All,

I'm working on a front end on the ipad, and I am incorporating GPS, music, videos, and a few features I don't want to disclose as of yet. I would like ideas for the app from anyone who may have ideas.

kRiLLiN

Just a brain dump from me -

Web page with camera feed(s) Traffic and Reversing.
    TPMS
    ODB II
    Weather

Comment

Well, make sure to include big buttons (like Soundhog's TAP) here and there. Be sure to include gestures, and make it viewable under sunlight conditions. Never test it on your office, go outside and see how it looks like. White(ish) background with black, thick fonts works best under sunlight conditions.
      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

One word: GESTURES. Try out flicktunes to see what I'm talking about.

BIG buttons will work but the ability to customize gestures to do stuff would be great.

Other items: GPS speedometer, trip odometer, altitude, speed graphs are good (see GPS speed app), a built in Google map that can be pulled up at will (again, GPS speed is a good example of integrating this into an FE).

The basics of a good FE for the iPad are a couple of integrated apps that do music, mapping, and instrumentation. Other stuff like OBDII is great, but frankly, something like GPS speed with a flicktunes like music component would be great.

I'd make it easy to flip from screen to screen maybe with a two finger swipe or by touching the right and left edge of the screen. With the real estate on the iPad, maybe the bottom could display different stuff while the top continues to display speedometer or whatever.

The nice thing about GPS Speed is that the graphs at the bottom can be switched for a trip odometer, or a google map position (no routing, only position) and you can expand the google map to fill the screen, then collapse it again. Works nice when you are in the general area but can't find quite how to get there).
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Good Ideas

All good ideas. I've been actually working on the gestures for music already. I think for the start, I'm just going to incorporate the Map into the app without routing until I can get it working to my liking. I am working on a general layout of how things are going to look, and once I get it cleaned up, I'll ask for suggestions. Would themes be something you would like to be able to customize?

Some of the features may require additional hardware (reverse cam) that would have to be either bluetooth, or I would have to design an accessory to plug into the 30-pin connector.

So the list so far:

- GPS data (speed, altitude, etc)
          - Map (for current position and looking ahead)
          - Gesture music playing (like flicktunes)
          - Gesture screen switching (or edge of screen switching)
          - Speed graph
          - Odometer
          - Weather

Any more ideas? Anyone have a good name for the app?

Comment

This is an excellent idea! Let me know how mp3Car can help, if we can in any way. Also, I'd be happy to set up a forum for your iPad FE...once you settle on a name.

Off the top of my head AutoAuto for iPad comes to mind - the .com is just sitting, someone doing nothing with it.
            Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
            • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
            • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
            • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
            • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Orientation

Should it be restricted to a specific orientation?

Comment

I don't think so. I also wonder what the App store rules would say about that, an app that requires an specific orientation... (unless you want to go Cydia).
                Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Orientation

A lot of apps are orientation specific. Lots of games are restricted to landscape only. and some are even portrait only.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                    This is an excellent idea! Let me know how mp3Car can help, if we can in any way. Also, I'd be happy to set up a forum for your iPad FE...once you settle on a name.

Off the top of my head AutoAuto for iPad comes to mind - the .com is just sitting, someone doing nothing with it.
                    Thanks Heather. I really appreciate the offer. I've been visiting these forums for a long time, and felt it was time to contribute to the community. My passion has been to incorporate a full media system into my car, but having all the extra computer stuff in the car, I really wanted something easy to remove. When the iPad came out, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and my plate at work has finally let up on iPhone and iPad development, so felt I needed my own project to work on.

Comment

I vote no for orientation specific. My iPad install is portrait, others have landscape. If it was orientation specific to landscape, I wouldn't be able to use it.

Also, how about a weather page? You can easily get weather info in html from the www.wunderground.com api.
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:

Comment

I've been waiting for something like this. I got some ideas for settings.

-if you could set it up to stay on whenever it is being charged.
                        -option to display videos on the iPad or output to headrest monitors etc.
                        -when power is not sensed, so if you turn your car off the music is paused and it automatically locks the screen.
                        -set dim times, so you can specify that it dims from 8pm to 7am because it gets very bright at night.
                        -tethering option within the app to connect to MyWi etc for wifi only models.
                        -music search integration. You might checkout SoundHound. It let's you find songs with voice control and displays lyrics and YouTube videos so you can listen to full song.
                        -customizable themes, or at least some features to change it up a bit.
                        And integration of music and video library....
                        Motorized iPad 2 installed in Silverado

Comment

Climate Controls

Awesome to hear more dev going into Car iPad apps!

Since the iPad takes up so much space, having climate control would help a ton, especially if you're trying to relocate your climate controls, you could eliminate them all together. Or is there more to that?

Comment

Definitely need something like one of those cop spotting social networks. Would be nice while driveing to see where the dildos like to hide

Comment

Originally posted by torres1708 View Post
                              I've been waiting for something like this. I got some ideas for settings.

-if you could set it up to stay on whenever it is being charged.
                              -option to display videos on the iPad or output to headrest monitors etc.
                              -when power is not sensed, so if you turn your car off the music is paused and it automatically locks the screen.
                              -set dim times, so you can specify that it dims from 8pm to 7am because it gets very bright at night.
                              -tethering option within the app to connect to MyWi etc for wifi only models.
                              -music search integration. You might checkout SoundHound. It let's you find songs with voice control and displays lyrics and YouTube videos so you can listen to full song.
                              -customizable themes, or at least some features to change it up a bit.
                              And integration of music and video library....
                              These are some great ideas. Let me echo a couple for +1:

1. Always on when power is on, i.e. doesn't go to sleep. Early beta feature.

2. It would be nice if you could make it output video to a separate output *while* displaying something else like the speedo or Google map on the main screen. I'm not sure this is possible, but it's definitely worth looking into, although maybe as a later feature.

3. Auto sense of power to pause music would be really, really cool. Early beta feature.

4. Dim times! An early feature, for sure. Either can be set by the user and/or use location to figure out sunset and do it automatically.

5. I have voice control enabled on my iPad and it works pretty well unless you have the windows open. Maybe holding down on a button for more than 2 seconds or something like that would activate it. Later feature.

6. Customizable themes would be nice. Maybe you can pick backgrounds from the photos menu or whatever.

7. External communication with other devices. One request was for a Fusion Brain type plug in. I think if you ever look at that option, you should pretty much allow the FE to communicate with a web server. Then, you can control an FB module plugged into a separate computer like a low power Sheeva or igep running a server that can interpret your commands. That allows you to control stuff not only in your car but also anything connected to your network. If you have a local Lan, you can control stuff on your local network. If you have internet connectivity, you could control stuff out in the ether.

One option for the external stuff is to look at the OSDash project, which provides services you can interface with. Anyhow, that's a later enhancement.

8. One other feature I thought of is some type of bluetooth configuration control. I seem to always have to go into the settings to get my BT device to work. It would be nice to be able to control that from in the app.

Just as a basic design principle I'd suggest building core functionality and leaving less common stuff out of the app. The user can always switch to another app and run that. While it isn't 'integrated', using something like Circuitous or iOS4 app switching, it's not all that bad.

Most FE's work pretty well at the beginning, then slow down and become difficult to configure and set up because they get too many features. The nice part of the iOS approach is that you can add functionality via additional apps without bloating the original package. So, for example, if you want to control your hvac, maybe there's an app for that rather than putting it into the FE.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X