Control XMPCR/XMDirect with iPad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control XMPCR/XMDirect with iPad?

I know that the XMPCR is a USB-to-Serial interface, and the XMDirect is a serial interface. I know that serial communication is possible over the dock connector on jailbroken iPhones/iPod Touches/iPads. So can we get an app that we can hook our XM tuners into that controls them? Should be as simple as programming the GUI to execute .shell scripts, but I don't know for sure...
    After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
    New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

I can get a page with the commands if we need it. I would really like to have this, but I have no clue how to do serial commands in Terminal, let alone write an app for an iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

A friend of mine wrote a java program that controls the old xm direct via usb-serial commands. It's open source. Your best bet would be to connect that to a Sheeva plug or better yet, an igep and have it serve up a web page that tells the java prog to change channels, etc.

Then, pull up the page on the ipad and control away.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
        A friend of mine wrote a java program that controls the old xm direct via usb-serial commands. It's open source. Your best bet would be to connect that to a Sheeva plug or better yet, an igep and have it serve up a web page that tells the java prog to change channels, etc.

Then, pull up the page on the ipad and control away.
        Can I get a link? I may look into that.

New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Current findings:

The XMPCR uses TTL style connections before the FTDI serial-to-USB chip inside.
          Source: http://xmfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=227543
          https://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=29942

Also the iPad uses TTL through the dock connector, so I don't think I'll need a MAX232 to do anything. I'll find that source later.

This may be easier than I thought... *fingers crossed*
          New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Good stuff. Keep us posted!
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by freeflashstuff View Post
              Can I get a link? I may look into that.
              http://code.google.com/p/amptvx/downloads/list
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

Looks like i'll have to do this on my PPC Mac Mini. I haven't used it in a year, so this should be fun.
                New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Got my Mac mini almost back up and running. But I also got more info on the XMPCR.

This is what is printed on the FTDI chip:
                  Ft232am

Data sheet: http://www.freeflashstuff.net/CarPC/ft232am.pdf

These solder points are hella small!

Photos of the FTDI chip:

New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

I guess my mac is too old to do anything with that code. I try to open it and it tells me arc is invalid = ppc valid_arch = i386...
                    New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by freeflashstuff View Post
                      I guess my mac is too old to do anything with that code. I try to open it and it tells me arch is invalid = ppc valid_arch = i386...
                      Can someone just port that code to iPhone/iPad? I have no idea where to even start...
                      The serial port is

Code:
                       /dev/tty.iap
                      and the serial stuff is here at the source code example:
                      http://devdot.wikispaces.com/Iphone+...+Port+Tutorial

I still need to see about the test points coming from the XM "can". They are TTL out, and the iPads connector is TTL in, so if I can bypass the FTDI chip, it would be a lot easier.
                      New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Thanks to Colecago over at the Hackaday forums, I have some more info. I'm ordering a breakout board as soon as I can get the money together. This one (eBay item # 370467683410) or one similar so I don't risk messing things up because I suck at soldering...

The iPad and the "can" on the XMPCR are both TTL level, so no extra chips are needed. I also found a pinout of the "can" and it should make things a lot easier. Still need help on the program end, though. I'm just gonna copy/paste from the HaD forum thread in my next post...

Thread here.
                        New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Copy/Paste from HaD forum:

I found a pinout of the "can"! This should make things easier...

Now I'll just need to figure out the charging circuit for the iPad to charge WITHOUT the God-forsaken "Not charging" or "Charging is not supported by this accessory" messages, find my soldering iron and get a dock connector breakout board. Which one should I get?

1-GND
                          2-5V
                          3-5V
                          4-GND
                          5-5V
                          6-MLCK
                          7-LRCLK
                          8-SDATA
                          9-SCLK
                          10-Turn on indication (This pin is high when the metal can is turned on, it drives an LED)
                          11-N/C
                          12-N/c
                          13-N/C
                          14-Turn on signal or enable signal. I believe when this is high, it's
                          turned on.
                          15-TX
                          16-RX
                          17-GND
                          18-N/C
                          19-N/C
                          20-N/C
                          21-N/C
                          22-GND
                          23-TER - ANT
                          24-GND
                          25-Some sort of output. Labeled TP13 on XMPCR.
                          26-GND
                          27-5V
                          28-GND
                          29-SAT - ANT
                          30-GND
                          New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

I found an XCode version of XM for the Mac. The guy that did Neon Boom Box took the java code and turned it into objective C. The code is attached.

Here's hoping you can get this to work!
                            Attached Files
                            Want to:

Comment

...same problem as before. the code is Intel only and I have a PPC Mac...
                              New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X