90 degree Dock Connector for iPad install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 degree Dock Connector for iPad install

After lots of searching and finally giving up, I customized a cable from Ebay to charge and take the line-out audio from my iPad into my truck amps. I installed the iPad in landscape and because of space issues the iPad had to slide in from the top of the dash. This required a connection that the cable came out of the side of the dock connector instead of the bottom. I will post pics of the final install when done, but if I was looking for this cable I am sure someone else has too.

The Original cable.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2306963

After cutting apart and reassembling.

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2306964

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	2306965

Added a 1/8 to RCA adapter to connect to my volume knob and shrink wrapped for secure connection.

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2306966

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	2306967
    The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Nice work! I tried to do the same with the AV Cable and ruined it...bought used on ebay, still lost money on that and gave up on the idea. Your solution however wouldn't work for me, I wanted the larger AV cable to be as slim as the new ones, with the cable also coming from the side. Impossible, I fear.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
      Nice work! I tried to do the same with the AV Cable and ruined it...bought used on ebay, still lost money on that and gave up on the idea. Your solution however wouldn't work for me, I wanted the larger AV cable to be as slim as the new ones, with the cable also coming from the side. Impossible, I fear.
      This is what I was using before I made the cable above. It is the OE Apple Composite cable. It is as small as I could get it but it was white and I wanted black for my install.

Name:	Apple.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2280202
      The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Cool. I wanted the cable to go down, no to the sides, though. Searched everywhere for low profile, t-shaped, l-shaped connectors, nothing.

So I removed the plastic, cut a lot of plastic on the sides and below the metal connector to allow some bending of the metal inside...try to break the solder one side to allow a longer run...no dice. Too ambitious for my limited abilities.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
          Cool. I wanted the cable to go down, no to the sides, though. Searched everywhere for low profile, t-shaped, l-shaped connectors, nothing.

So I removed the plastic, cut a lot of plastic on the sides and below the metal connector to allow some bending of the metal inside...try to break the solder one side to allow a longer run...no dice. Too ambitious for my limited abilities.

bought used on ebay, still lost money on that and gave up on the idea. Your solution however wouldn't work for me, I wanted the larger AV cable to be as slim as the new ones, with the cable also coming from the side. Impossible, I fear.

Comment

Working...
          X