Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadmap for Neon Boombox

Hi all,

I want to put together a road map to plan out future features of Neon Boombox and I would like to try and prioritize according to user needs and wants.

Feel free to offer up suggestions, but ONLY if you are or will consider being an NBB user. I don't need or want a bunch of comment from people who won't use NBB. there is another thread for those or anyone else to trow out suggestions that may make it in the roadmap.

Also keep in mind that I don't have certain hardware like GPS so I cannot do anything for it at the moment.

Minor bugs/adjustments should be posted in other threads.

1. finish Video module (nearly done now)
    2. add more visualizers and support for 3rd party visualizers
    3. add support for the apple remote
    4. create a bare bones XM radio control module (XM PCR for sure others if i can)
    5. add support for basic skins
    6. create some alternate skins. (might need help on this one)
    7. add support for using an ipod as a library source
    8. add support for dvd playback

that all I have so far. I don't like to try and plan farther than I can see

If anyone is willing to help with visualizers and/or skins I would appreciate it. Guides for creating those will be posted in the coming days/weeks.

comments on priority order/additions/removals to this short term list anyone?
    check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

How about a way to get back and forth from NBB to OSX. I use spaces to get to the internet, dashboard and istumbler. I'd be nice to do that with NBB.

Thanks for the great work!

Comment

+1 on XM support.

Something I don't see a lot of front ends do is take advantage of GPS information, not so much for navigation but trip/odometer/speed functions. Probably because most people take short trips in their cars and don't need them very often.

I just think it would be cool to read some info from, say, a GPSDX stream and give you some dashboard and trip options. I won't clutter up this thread with that idea, though. Maybe I'll post some samples screenshot I gen up of the type of thing I'm thinking of.

It would be something that would make the FE 'different' from the run of the mill stuff.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by bt430 View Post
        How about a way to get back and forth from NBB to OSX. I use spaces to get to the internet, dashboard and istumbler. I'd be nice to do that with NBB.

Thanks for the great work!
        spaces does work with NBB except when watching a movie or in the visualizer.

The reason for that, at least for the visualizer, is that using expose or space while the visualizer was running could potentially make NBB crash, and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe it is a bug in the QC framework...

@bugbye

do you have an XM PCR, an XM direct, or XM commander? I know the PCR will work and that the direct and commander can work with the same protocol, but I cannot test or verify it.

I wan to do alot of things with GPS I just dont have the hardware yet. and I won't anytime in the near future.

Comment

I might be able to get my hands on some loaner sirius gear if your interested.

BT

Comment

absolutely If I can find documentation enough for it to work. I haven't yet seen anything about the sirius protocol being opened/reverse engineered. If you know where I can find the proper protocol documentation I'd be happy to work it in in the future

Comment

Originally posted by NeonDev View Post
              absolutely If I can find documentation enough for it to work. I haven't yet seen anything about the sirius protocol being opened/reverse engineered. If you know where I can find the proper protocol documentation I'd be happy to work it in in the future
              I would talk to mitch (http://www.rush2112.net/) as he is the genious behind sirius on the PC, probably can help out.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

+1 on Trip Computer functionality.

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post

Something I don't see a lot of front ends do is take advantage of GPS information, not so much for navigation but trip/odometer/speed functions. Probably because most people take short trips in their cars and don't need them very often.

I just think it would be cool to read some info from, say, a GPSDX stream and give you some dashboard and trip options. I won't clutter up this thread with that idea, though. Maybe I'll post some samples screenshot I gen up of the type of thing I'm thinking of.

It would be something that would make the FE 'different' from the run of the mill stuff.
                One thing I really miss from my BMW that I don't have on my Mazda is a trip computer. It would be great to pick up that info from the front end. It would be really cool if you could get fuel information from the ODB II to do range/MPG calculation. Also, exposing other OBD II information picked up from the bus to the display would be interesting, but not necessarily all that useful. I don't know everything that's available on OBD, so there might be some other functionality that is possible.
                Any day is a good day for golf.

Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
                (Check Speedy's Install)

Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

Comment

Now that the music works well, my number 1 preference would be for Navigation, followed closely by Bluetooth handsfree.

I use NBB every work day for at least 90 mins. But at the moment I'm desperate for a Sat Nav system & a handsfree for my phone. My plan was to put a mac-mini in my car as collectively it would be cheaper than adding Ipod Support, Sat Nav & Bluetooth handsfree, so I am reluctant to go out and buy seperate sat nav. And really like NBB, so don't want to switch to another front end.

Comment

well I do plan on implementing GPS and OBD2 and am positive that it will one day happen . but until I get the hardware to do it I cannot put it on the roadmap.

OBD2 will likely happen first unless the next gen iPhone has GPS that i can utilize in NBB

I also want to have bluetooth hands free abilities but I cannot find much on the protocol. do any of you know where I can find that information?

also I am unsure of how to accomplish navigation. I havn't put alot of thought into it. how do most FEs do it? I was thinking a bandaid solution would be to load google maps into a webview with custom CSS but that requires an internet connection and doesn't really give turn by turn.

any mac compatible open source solutions for navigation?

Comment

@bugbye

do you have an XM PCR, an XM direct, or XM commander? I know the PCR will work and that the direct and commander can work with the same protocol, but I cannot test or verify it.
                      I have an XM Direct. Works well using the mp3car adaptor under Windows on Streetdeck.

I suspect I would have to use my keyspan serial adaptor and cable to use it with the Mac.
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:

Comment

any mac compatible open source solutions for navigation?
                        Roadnav
                        Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                          I have an XM Direct. Works well using the mp3car adaptor under Windows on Streetdeck.

I suspect I would have to use my keyspan serial adaptor and cable to use it with the Mac.
                          how do you connect it to the PC?
                          if you plug it into the mac does a new device show up in the /dev directory in terminal?
                          as long as it does I should be able to communicate with the device using the same protocol as the XM PCR I just have to do something special to put it into command mode

so im told...

Comment

ok just a quick update based on all the feedback I have gotten in various forms
                            Here is an Updated/tweaked roadmap

1. add more visualizers and support for 3rd party visualizers
                            2. add support for the apple remote
                            3. update and release a new SDK
                            4. create a bare bones XM radio control module (XM PCR for sure others if i can)
                            5. add support for basic themes/skins
                            6. create some alternate themes. (might need help on this one)
                            7. add support for using an ipod as a library source
                            8. add support for dvd playback

really the only change is I squeezed a new SDK release in there. This is because there is alot of demand for GPS related features that I cannot accomplish myself in the short term. I have had offers from others to see what they can do if I can provide them with a proper SDK. No promises on what comes of their efforts.

If they cannot create a GPS/navigation module I will attempt a port of roadnav once I acquire a compatible loner/donated/purchased GPS module, and only after I have completed number 4 on the list. XM has to come first because it is only possible by the grace of a kind donor and I promised to get a bare bones solution for it ASAP.

Comment

anybody have any thoughts on where the on screen keyboard should fit into the road map. NBB has had that search button for awhile and I want to make it finally fulfill its purpose.

If it effects your thoughts at all implementing it would prolly take no more than a day of work. now if only i can find the time to do anything this week. It will likely be another week at least till I have some free time due to my actual job. I haven't done anything programmatically for NBB for almost a week...

Comment

Working...
                              X