Navigation features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigation features

So it has been rather quiet in the last weeks. We have been very busy and now have the first version of real no-BS navigation plug-in. It is using TeleAtlas data, but in principle can use maps from other sources as well.

Now we are looking for some features, that are not available on other navigation systems and I would like to know your ideas. Here are mine:

We will definitely have a very good support of POIs, including contact information and integration with other parts of QCar (i.e. we will be able to go to a website or dial a number associated with the POI).

Same will be true for Address book and possibly iCal as well - we want to be able to use person's address as destination or plan a route along day's events (provided the location is specified in some usable format).

If we find the data reliable enough, we will have some sort of warning for when the car approaches or exceeds the speed limit at its current position.

Installations with fuel monitoring will be able to warn about low fuel and guide the driver to the nearest gas station.

We also have the option of working with a remote map server, that can be used in a situation where the car is located in an area for which the map is not installed on the hard drive. Kind of like the Goolge Maps solution, but this will be real map data, so the map can rotate, zoom in/out without complete reload etc.
    Attached Files

While it wouldn't be unique I would like to see the ability to use kml/kmz files whether actual files or those periodically downloaded form a server.
    The Mercenary Missileer's 2000 Toyota 4Runner Highlander Edition

Comment

kml/kmz files are already supported as a way of entering destination. One of my colleagues also has a first version of kml-logger module. It appears we should be able to turn a recorded track back into turn-by-turn instructions as well.

At the moment we can download kml files from the web, but the GUI is pretty ugly and the whole things need to be re-done.

Comment

will we be able to use the GUI before we purchase software like the other modules?
        Will the software if purchased have free updates for existance of product?
        Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Originally posted by pepsibobby View Post
          will we be able to use the GUI before we purchase software like the other modules?
          Yes, although most likely we will not be able to provide you with real map data or just a very small area, given the terms of our contract with TeleAtlas. You wil be able to test the basic GUI, but most likely not the navigation as such.

Will the software if purchased have free updates for existance of product?
          For software, this is one of the options. For maps, this is mostly depending on the supplier of the map data. For TeleAtlas, the basic model is "buy your map and when it is out of date, buy a new one for full price".

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout View Post
            For software, this is one of the options. For maps, this is mostly depending on the supplier of the map data. For TeleAtlas, the basic model is "buy your map and when it is out of date, buy a new one for full price".
            Real gentleman, this people....
            www.claz.it

Comment

ClaZ:

1. it costs tons of money to collect and process the map data. Just a small country as The Netherlands contains about 1.2 million of road elements plus tons of other objects, hundreds of thousands POIs etc.

2. The maps are not that expensive (just compare to traditional paper maps!) and you do not have to buy them all every time there is an update.

3. If we can work out all the legal issues, we will be offering a subscription or on-demand model, so in case of urgent need, the users will be able to get instant access to the most up-to-date maps without having to purchase the maps.

Comment

A couple of thoughts.

If the system is net connected (EDGE/HSDPA card, etc.) then you might want to support the ability to publish your current location in some fashion (IM, IRC, push to webpage, etc.) and to track the location of other users.

If net connected, being able to cross-link Google maps lookups against the nav database (search for something on Google, move the result to the nav side to get directions) would be handy.

3D route logging would be fun.

The ability to manually enter fuel fill volume in cases where fuel consumption information is not otherwise available would be good for mileage calculations.

Comment

Outside the US, Destinator is the only real option as they update maps. Would be good if the GPS could use Destinator Maps or other types of map files.

Cheers

Comment

This all sounds quite exciting. Any chance of hearing when these ideas will make it into the software?

Comment

Originally posted by skigil View Post
                      This all sounds quite exciting. Any chance of hearing when these ideas will make it into the software?
                      The basic version is already running in my car. The biggest technical problem at the moment is that it is still quite slow when calculating the route than TomTom (only slightly faster than Routebuddy). Other than that, we need to finalize our contract with TeleAtlas for map distribution.

Comment

lost

I have began testing out the QCar software. I am wondering what do I need in order to get the GPS working (hardware, software, etc.) I live in the US-Louisiana.

Also, if anyone has information on how I can get use my Windows Mobile Smartphone (HTC Mogul) as a modem in OSX that would be appreciated. The reason I find it relevant is because I see that there is a web-based GPS Program and I'd also like to test the functionality of that through my phone's internet.

Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout View Post
                          The basic version is already running in my car. The biggest technical problem at the moment is that it is still quite slow when calculating the route than TomTom (only slightly faster than Routebuddy). Other than that, we need to finalize our contract with TeleAtlas for map distribution.
                          Hi Jirka,

RouteBuddy 2.1 - due for release in a fortnight - will feature a speed hike for rendering, so this will have a knock-on effect on routing and should show some improvement.

Must catch up when you are next in London or I'm in Amsterdam.

Best,

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by RouteBuddy View Post
                            RouteBuddy 2.1 - due for release in a fortnight - will feature a speed hike for rendering, so this will have a knock-on effect on routing and should show some improvement.
                            So from this I guess your problem also was the speed of the map access, right? In our case, getting the data takes about 95% of the time to calculate the route, while only 5% is spent by the routing algorithm itself. But we have now made some changes, that should improve the performance as well.

I will drop you a line before I go to Lonodn next time, probably in some 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X