Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapPoint 2006 Integration with VB.net

Hi All!

I recently strting writing my own front end and it is coming along nicely except for the fact I have no idea how to integrate MapPoint 2006.

The documentation for MP2006 integration seems to be few and far between. I have googled and searched these forums for any information and/or tutorials on how to integrate MP2006 to no avail.

Also, I downloaded RoadRunner and from what I read it is open source and it is written in VB; however, I couldn't find where to download the source.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

BTW, I am using VB.net 2005.

Thanks in advance!

-Axel

You definitely can work with MapPoint from VB.Net or C#, but you're right that it isn't the most straightforward, or well-documented, thing out there.

The easiest way to get started is to reference the Mappoint 2006 dll in your project. Add the object to the toolbox in Visual Studio, and drop the control on a form.

Here are a few samples to get you started (some are in C#, at least partially, but the languages are fairly close):

http://blogs.msdn.com/cthota/archive...22/515992.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305200/en-us

Note: there are some references in these samples to older versions of MapPoint, but the concepts are very close.

Comment

Well I have looked at both of those and I think I am more confused now than ever.... I will need to look at them in more detail. The second link just shows how to Interact with MapPoint and the first on I will need to look at a lot more and just play with it some.

I have the control on the form but I cannot display the map... Argh this is frustrating that there is no real documentation on this.... Typical M$!

Thanks,

-Axel

Comment

if you have the control on the form then put this in a button or in the form Load event

MapPointControl.NewMap(MapPoint.GeoMapRegion.geoMa pNorthAmerica)

that should display the map for you

Originally posted by AxelDoomeyer View Post
        Well I have looked at both of those and I think I am more confused now than ever.... I will need to look at them in more detail. The second link just shows how to Interact with MapPoint and the first on I will need to look at a lot more and just play with it some.

I have the control on the form but I cannot display the map... Argh this is frustrating that there is no real documentation on this.... Typical M$!

Thanks,

-Axel
        LilliPut Housing Complete
        MAP POINT WITH EARTH MATE
        TV/FM/XM
        1.7 GHZ 500MB RAM , 60 GB HD
        SLIM LINE DVD DRIVE
        FRONT END: CUSTOM A.N.D.I. - M.P

Comment

Check mp2kmag.com, there's a lot of good info in their forums and articles. If you're still stymied, let me know and I'll pass you some code (I don't have it on this PC).

Comment

Actually, typical of MSFT there's lots of documentation. It's just a matter of knowing where to look. If you do anything with MSFT technology and don't know your way around MSDN, learn now. I see many people spending lots of money on books or training (or consultants at work) to get information that's freely available in the MSDN Library.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mappoint/
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

BTW, I use the MSDN but I typically find more useful information elswhere on the internet. It has been a while since I have been in VB.net and I am at a complete loss because everthing I have tried so far has not worked at all. And I can't say that I know that much about C# in order to convert the code samples that were linked to above.

That and I think my brain is about to Blue Screen for the day!

I stumbled across mp2kmag.com earlier in my search but I didn't find anything for what I was looking for.

I figured the part that I need to drag the control onto the form and that was about it. Every bit of code that I have seen and tried for whatever reason will not bring up the map...

RickS, I would be interested in looking at that code. It may help....

Thanks again...

Comment

I'm not using a PC with a complier so I won't guarantee this will work but it should be all you need to pull up a map. You'll use this on a form that you've added the MP control to (the control should be named AxMappointControl1). Let me know if you need more...

Code:
                Dim objMap As MapPoint.Map

Private Sub GPSForm_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

'Open a North American map
                  AxMappointControl1.NewMap(MapPoint.GeoMapRegion.geoMapNorthAmerica)

'Set the map object to the current map
                  objMap = AxMappointControl1.ActiveMap

End Sub

Comment

I finally figured that out at about 4am this morning. But thank you for the code. I knew it was something simple. It just kept hiding from me.

Comment

If you need more help, let me know...I coded my own FE in VB.NET also and have done several iterations of GPS in it using MP (though I'm using IG3 currently since it does a couple things that I can't do in MP).

Comment

mappoint

can you make mappoint map rotate????
                      "Most of the users you'll see in this site are still learning specially me"

Comment

Not easily. Only way I know: save the map as an image, then repaint it rotated.

Comment

How did you get the Mappoint 2006 control to work on your system? Everything I have tried ends up with an error saying that Mappoint is not registered on the system, so it wont let me use the control. Thanks for any help, -MG

Comment

Working...
                          X