software to sync 'wirelessly' and automatically

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software to sync 'wirelessly' and automatically

Ok, so I set up my wireless LAN network last year and had it going for awhile but never figured out how have my car automatically sync with my home computer when I came in to networked range. So, eventually I sold my wireless hardware because I went away for awhile and kinda gave up on it. (Needed the money).

My system before was that I had to hit a few buttons and hope it was in range and then synced properly (since I didn't have a TFT) and that was really annoying.

Anyways, now I'm wondering if anyone has set this up fully? I know there has been alot of posts on wireless syncing etc but I'm looking for someone/examples of a set up where you drive into your driveway/garage and when the network sees you it automatically runs your syncing software and Bobs your uncle, you're all set with your newest tunes and your old ones are nuked (or whatever).

Also it would be nice to have one of those many dB omni-directional antenna things going on so I could just do it at the bottom of my street or something but we'll worry about that later.
    95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
    mp3civic site

It all depends on your network/OS. I don't have mine fully up yet, but plan on using the wake timer on the MB to have it boot up at a preset time each morning, that a task scheduled to get the latest files. Now that probabally won't work for everyone as I plan on having my system runing off a deep cycle battery with isolator so I can use the wake on lan to have it available when I want it to be.

Comment

This is exactly what I plan to do - and therefore it will be written into my new mediabox software (see earlier posts). Basically, you tell the mediabox the machine name of the pc that keeps your mp3's on and the UNC path to it e.g. "Pentium3-750" is the machine name and "\\pentium3-750\e\my music\" is the path. The software is then set to do a number of things. By pinging the machine it can determine if there is a connection. Then it can examine the mp3's on each machine and determine any new ones. The software is programmable to remove old mp3's and generate playlists of new ones. You can set it to do this whenever you start up, at periodic times or at the press of a button.

I don't have a wireless link yet (planning on one to complete the setup - guess I'll have to get a long cat5 cable until then!) but I presume that the cards automatically connect when in range - if this is not correct, let me know and I'll try and come up with another idea. I'm also assuming that you can just ping an ip address over a wireless lan in the same way as you can ping over a traditional lan setup.

Cheers - I'll post when the software is done, but it won't be for a while yet!

Andrew
      Mediabox Hardware Project
      Current Stage: A complete redesign, although not much happening right now!

Mediabox Software Project
      Status: Writing Sync Software (still) and playing around with interface
      To do: Far too much!

Comment

Huh... your software sounds like it will be pretty good. I'd definately be interested in checking it out when you're done.

And to answer your questions - yes, the wireless stuff establish a connection when in range and yes, you can ping another machine just like you would with a wired LAN.
        mp3civic site

Comment

I'm not sure if robocopy works on non-NT systems, but you might want to give it a shot. I removed all ID3 tags from my MP3s, so I wanted to sync my carputer up with my home system. I ran robocopy and it synced up the two machines perfectly. It deleted ones I had deleted and replaced files which were changed. Have a little program that constantly scans for your network and when it finds it, run robocopy.

I posted it here:
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...light=robocopy
          Don't Click

Comment

Gutter:

Do you know of such a program that will scan your network and when it does find a certain IP, runs a specific program?
            mp3civic site

Comment

Big bump for you guys, I'm trying to do the same thing, but with a Ethernet cable to my car.
              Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
              Completion: [*********-] 90%
              Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
              LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
              - 128MB RAM
              - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
              - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
              - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
              - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

Originally posted by schrodos
                Gutter:

Do you know of such a program that will scan your network and when it does find a certain IP, runs a specific program?
                I just wrote one in VB It isn't stand alone yet as it will be part of my flash/vb frontend that is in development at the moment.

At the moment you enter an ip address or machine name, a time interval to check (it can be on startup or after a timed delay of anything from 1 second to 24 hours). If the ping is successful then it will run a program. I'm currently working on the ability to synch files - shouldn't be long until this is working properly (read: it was working but not on mp3's in a large directory structure so I am rewriting it), but until then I will make the program available within the next few days as an alpha release with just the ability to start a program.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Let us all know when you get done, sounds very promising.

- 128MB RAM
                  - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

Right - try the Beta sync software I just wrote, just to show it can be done in VB in not a lot of time! The software checks for the connection via a tcp ip ping. The actual syncing of files hasn't been done yet (read: it's still in beta so I didn't include it). It allows you to run a program when the connection is made. Have a play around and let me know how you get on. All comments can be e-mailed to me on Andrew[nospam]@foggysoft.com (simply remove the [NOSPAM]). Bare in mind that this is still beta. The final software will be included in my mp3 car software, Mediabox.

Check out
                    http://www.foggysoft.com/mediabox/Msync-install.exe

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. If you run another copy of the app while it is already running, it instantly attempts to sync, bypassing the delay

Comment

Would you consider releasing a standalone? I think you have a lot of interest here.

- 128MB RAM
                      - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

If you were to develop this so that it could just be put in the startup folder and run in the background, constantly checking at a set interval, and automatically syncing with no user intervention, I would buy it. That's right, I would pay you for it.

I think this is one of those things that people around here would pay for, if you made it "invisible" after an initial setup (by .ini file or something).

Let me know this project pans out.

- 128MB RAM
                        - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

PS - Basically, by "invisible", I mean, you drive into your garage, wait say, 10 minutes, and drive out again, with all songs fully synced, no user input required. I would definity buy that from you.

- 128MB RAM
                          - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

Comment

Wow - this little proggie works great. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. Keep up the good work... I'm definately interested to see your progress.
                            mp3civic site

Comment

Well the current program is invisible - simply chnge all the settings and start it going by clicking the resume button. Then exit and save. This updates the msync.ini file and means that the next time you run it you will have a setup exactly the same as before. As for file transferring / pruning, this is comming soon. I need to test it a bit more first before I let it out on the general public - anything involving erasing files is a dodgy issue so I won't release it until I am satisifed that it works properly.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X