DIVX on Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIVX on Linux?

Has anyone tried Divx playback on Linux? Could I get away with a leaner processor if I used Linux do you think?

I have had good luck with DiVX using the XINE player on Linux. Playback requirements are lower with Linux. I have DiVX playing on an old 500MHZ Dell box in the den.
    -------
    Play Well
    http://www.robotthoughts.com
    My Car
    My Interface

Comment

Skippman, does your AMD K6/2 500 play DIVX under Windows?
      -------------------------------------------
      (=========-) 99% complete
      --------------------------------------------
      AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
      All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
      Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

k6-2 might be pushing it even in linux. There is a divx plugin for xmms and you could always use mplayer too. I have played a divx on my p2 300 but that dropped some frames.
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

Dunno, never tried. I removed the carputer from my Explorer about 6 months ago after I got angry with PC Chips. They were supposed to release a TOS-LINK adapter for my board and never did. I guess I could try it at home and see if it works. I'm mostly interested in weather or not I could do Divx playback with an Eden.

Comment

yawk....PC Chips are horrible...Alot of their MB's are defective i might add.
            abcd-1
            Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
            You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I can play Divx on my VIA EPIA C3-800 setup using Linux with no noticable dropped frames. I've been using Xine for Divx and Ogle for DVD's Mplayer is a resource hog.

In general, you can strip down Linux alot easier than you can Windoze (bloat ware) so yes you can likely get by with less powerful hardware to do the same thing. I know people who are using K6-550's to decode divx and dvd's with success.
              [email protected] 1997 Blazer Dashpc Style!
              VIA EPIA-M 9000 Hauppauge WinTv (FM tuner), 256 MB, 40 GB HD

Running Linux: Slackware 10.0, xmms, mplayer and Roadmap gps

Comment

Divx Codec

This might sound stupid but where can I get a copy of the Divx Codec that will install on linux, the copy I was using in windows installs via an ini file but linux doesn't like that not really surprised.
                And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Bar none, I have had the best luck with movies with Mplayer on Linux:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

If I can't get Xine (or any Windows program) to play a divx file, mplayer will work.
                  -------
                  Play Well
                  http://www.robotthoughts.com
                  My Car
                  My Interface

Comment

my celly366 /64mb 16mb agp w/ win98se runs divx just fine.. no skipped frames.... so im guessing.. you can get quite good results with 300-350mhz running linux.

Greetz,
                    Raas - The Netherlands
                    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Re: Divx Codec

Originally posted by Rob
                      This might sound stupid but where can I get a copy of the Divx Codec that will install on linux, the copy I was using in windows installs via an ini file but linux doesn't like that not really surprised.
                      You don't need to download it seperately as xine and mplayer use ffmpeg (if I remember correctly) to decode divx and this is included with them.

Alternatively I believe there's a binary only version available at http://www.divx.com

Comment

Working...
                      X