Upgrading from Vista to XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from Vista to XP

I just bought a laptop that has vista home basic on it and it lags. The laptop specs are a celeron m 1.73 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 Catch and 512 mb of ram. I'm ordering 2 gigs of ram for it but i'm just wondering if that will bring it up to speed since i know vista requires more than 512 or if i should just put my xp on it? Also if i put my XP on it what would i have to do to put the Vista back on with only the vista serial code? Thanks, Drew
    1998 Camaro Worklog Starting over, New setup for 2010

i would reccommend XP since its more compatible with software that has been developed here for your car.

in order to get Vista back on your computer, you would have to boot from the Vista OS install disk, format your harddrive (much better than upgrading from a prior XP install) put in your serial when you re-install Vista whenever it asks you. activate your Vista automatically (its an option you select during the install process)

its not hard to reinstall an OS...and if you happen to mess it up, its an easy fix...
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

I'm not worried about compatiblity issues since this will be more for music some photoshoping of my skins for my carputer.

I don't have a Vista OS install disk. only the serial. I wasn't sure how i'd go about putting it back on. I have an administrative xp disk that i can use to put xp on now. Will the 2 gigs of ram make vista run the way it should?

Comment

yeah, 2 gigs will make it better, but your CPU is going to be your bottleneck. right now though, its your RAM thats will cause more of an issue being 512...it will run, just not like it should.

Comment

vista install files may be located on hidden partition on hard drive, and you invoke installation by pressing some key during boot.

anyway xp is still better option for cel1.7 vista has really no advantages over xp, just the interface. and what you really need is stable platform, and not the fireworks
          EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
          Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

the hidden partition is going to be a restore partition, it will restore not just vista, but any other freeware or trial or ad software the manufacturer put on. One word of warning i would say, check to see if the manufacturer of your pc provides XP drivers for your new laptop. a lot of them, most of them, do not. sometimes it can be circumvented by getting say, the chipset driver if the chipset on yours is an nvidia chipset, from nvidia. you just download the driver for that specific chipset

Comment

Originally posted by helllordkb View Post
              the hidden partition is going to be a restore partition, it will restore not just vista, but any other freeware or trial or ad software the manufacturer put on. One word of warning i would say, check to see if the manufacturer of your pc provides XP drivers for your new laptop. a lot of them, most of them, do not. sometimes it can be circumvented by getting say, the chipset driver if the chipset on yours is an nvidia chipset, from nvidia. you just download the driver for that specific chipset
              Yea i was just thinking about all the drivers, my audio, video, wireless I'm going to look them up and see if there are any for xp before i put it on, or should xp have generic ones that will work?

edit: i found a chipset driver but when do i go about installing that when putting xp on?
              here it is

Comment

I've found all my drivers here

When will i install my chipset driver?

Comment

just like anthign else
                  you load xp on it and you install drivers after that to get all the funcitionality with your components, chipset drivers, sound, video, wireless
                  they just use a wizard installer, just like any program.

Comment

Everything is working, except i don't have standby. The button can be pushed it is faded out and in the power options menu it isn't even in there. Whats wrong?

Comment

Thanks helllordkb

The Chipset driver fixed it. It's nice and fast and now i have 2 gigs of ram on it's way

Comment

good to see you decided to stick with XP...for right now, its definately the better option for a carpc...

Comment

no problem, glad i could help a fellow member. i would aggree that for now xp is good to stick with, vistas got to many flaws with odds and ends of things, devices, and software that you don't wanna deal with in SFF computers, especially when its in your car, in the dash or not its still a ***** to change things that arent working right.

Comment

It's not for my carputer... Ialready have both of those running on xp this is just my personal laptop that i use for skinning and internet. I fully agree that XP is the better choice for a carputer. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                            X