bootable front end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bootable front end

hello all. I`m new here. Sorry if i posted in a wrong thread but i didnt know where.

This is my question :

I have e epia m motherbord with 512 ddram and a 7" touchscreen k301 i think I want to know if there is a front end pc software that does not require windows and should boot from cd .. I just want to have play music and play dvd divx etc maybe navigation .
    vw golf 4 Tdi with Recaro seats Clear look and :
    Via Epia M with 512 ddr and a 40gb hdd.
    7" touchscreen k301
    Digital Dash 5.0
    Romania :)

and one more question. 2 Why sometimes my touchscreen decalibrates? For ex now i calbrate and if i turn of an on for a few hours than when i press it gows to start menu . Should i use a stylus for calibration ?
    7" touchscreen k301
    Digital Dash 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by alex_z0ne View Post
      I have e epia m motherbord with 512 ddram and a 7" touchscreen k301 i think I want to know if there is a front end pc software that does not require windows and should boot from cd .. I just want to have play music and play dvd divx etc maybe navigation .
      No, there are no front-ends that don't require Windoze (or some other OS).

I know there are ways to use HORM (Hibernate Once/resume Many) to boot up the same time, every time. This could possibly be applied to a Windows installation, if configured correctly, to boot from CD. It would be similar to the way some users boot from a CF card, I'd think.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        No, there are no front-ends that don't require Windoze (or some other OS).

I know there are ways to use HORM (Hibernate Once/resume Many) to boot up the same time, every time. This could possibly be applied to a Windows installation, if configured correctly, to boot from CD. It would be similar to the way some users boot from a CF card, I'd think.
        well i found something interesting for via epia m . Pycar bots from Cd an no Os... is that real ?
        7" touchscreen k301
        Digital Dash 5.0

Comment

well i found something interesting for via epia m . Pycar bots from Cd an no Os... is that real ?
          http://www.pymedia.org/pycar/features.html

"* Available in precompiled form on Windows and as bootable image on Linux "

Both Windows and Linux are operating systems ya know.
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

http://indashpc.org/new/software/pycar-ds1.html

well look here no Os require it says ...
            7" touchscreen k301
            Digital Dash 5.0

Comment

no os required to boot, but inside the cd it uses an os as base to boot
              Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by Injector View Post
                no os required to boot, but inside the cd it uses an os as base to boot

Linux is on the cd, this frontend does require an os, it just happens to be on the cd, so no additional os required.

Comment

jup.

I think any of the linux live distros with a an added linux frontend would work. But boot times would be horrible!

Why no OS?
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

the last thing that used a direct boot that I can remember, was a game called Commanche, a helicopter game. It ran directly and was ultra fast, for the time (years ago).

Would be nice to have car specific os, but it's just not realistic, with all the OS's out there. Windows CE is a nice candidate for carpc's, but it's an os that has to be built with a specific set of drivers, and I've not seen it run on an x86 platform yet, though it is perfectly possible.

that's my brain fart on the matter!
                    Current:
                    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Well for my senior year I will be required to write a basic custom OS for an x86 processor, so well see if I get anywhere then.

Right now, I have no idea where I would start!
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        Well for my senior year I will be required to write a basic custom OS for an x86 processor, so well see if I get anywhere then.

Right now, I have no idea where I would start!
                        For my middle year degree project I wrote a multi-tasking OS for a 68030 processor. The task switching kernel was only about 200 lines of asm.
                        x86 is much harder due to all the protected mode, real mode, page tables etc.
                        Good luck.

Comment

i saw that microsoft has Microsoft Automotive OS and toyota would create a new OS only for cars. What should i use to boot very fast i mean about 5-10 sec max. And what is CF ? i saw that some members have that? On my pc spec if i use Vista (i read on Microsoft that boots in 3-5 seC) i would have problems?
                          7" touchscreen k301
                          Digital Dash 5.0

Comment

i saw that microsoft has Microsoft Automotive OS and toyota would create a new OS only for cars. What should i use to boot very fast i mean about 5-10 sec max. And what is CF ? i saw that some members have that? On my pc spec if i use Vista (i read on Microsoft that boots in 3-5 seC) i would have problems?
                            CF is Compact Flash , and you can boot the system really quick, but I think that the BIOS would be a bottleneck here, since it typically takes like 10sec for it to pass. Linuxbios is an alternative. From cold start it boots up to console within 3sec on 1GHz platform. That's what I'm trying to adopt to epia board currently.

Regarding booting windows, you can defrag your drive, and put boot files in order right at begining of boot partition for faster load, but it is still way more than 3-5 seconds after BIOS.
                            EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
                            Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

CF also means CentraFuse if talking about software.

And the 3 to 5 seconds is sleep. Because the crap macs advertise "instant booting" which is just sending it to sleep and a cold boot takes just as long. So XP and the PC gang is now advertising instant boots which is just sleep/suspend. In the car, this is impracticle unless you have very little RAM and a very efficient processor. It takes a lot of power to keep everything on so that it wakes up "instantly".

compact flash also makes system boot slower just so you know. CF is used more for its rugged design of no moving parts compared to a spinning platter drive.

And in the BIOS, you can get the epia board to go down to like 3-7 seconds.

In the BIOS, disable USB boot, boot other devices, enabled USB in DOS. Change the first boot device to IDE0 (wherever the actual boot partition is), and disable the rest. Disable boot other devices. Also enable quick boot (disabled memory scan), disable full screen logo. On the IDE detection, you will see it has "Auto" probably. Well hit F3 or the button to scan for all devices, note the settings it comes up with for the HD, and change the Auto to those settings manually. This means that that HD and only that HD will now be ableto boot and only off of IDE0 until those settings are changed back. In a car, this is usually acceptable. Disable the other IDE channels.

Those are the bigguns that take time. If you have SATA ports, well you are just screwed as I know of no BIOS that allow individual disabling of SATA ports. It is either all on or all off.

Comment

Working...
                              X