Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features in an ideal frontend?

Hello all,

I am developing a front end in .NET for 2000/XP/Vista and was wondering what everyone thought were essential or ideal features of a frontend. I know I will miss something...

Here's my tentative list:

- GPS/Navigation
    - DVD playback
    - Music File Playback (MP3, etc)
    - AM/FM radio support
    - Sound Mixer
    - Skin ability
    - Plugin ability
    - ???
    2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
    [----------] 100%
    Purchasing:
    [----------] 90%
    Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
    [----------] 90%

Everything that RR does...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Except not in VB6 ;-}

Planning:
      [----------] 100%
      Purchasing:
      [----------] 90%
      [----------] 90%

Comment

I guess VB is a problem...?

Agreed with Toaster, RR Does it.
        Dig a little more and Centrafuse comes close.
        Oh Yeah lets not forget the commercial giant street deck.
        For a few less features Pycar
        Go one more forum up to front ends and guess what you will get a whole list of them that pretty much "Do It"
        New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
        New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
        "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Anyway here is a list of features requested from me anyway that would have to be present.

Embed external apps
          Pull gas price data from web
          Pull weather data from web
          Skinnable OSK
          I guess the list can go on and on, just look at a feature list for RR. I would need some pretty good reason to switch.
          New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
          New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
          "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Thanks, that is the kind of list I am looking for.

Is open source a good enough reason to switch? Once I get something up and running I plan on communitizing the app. But that is a ways off. I only have basics up and running now: music, menus, web browser, odb, settings interface. No nav yet...

Planning:
            [----------] 100%
            Purchasing:
            [----------] 90%
            [----------] 90%

Comment

I'd absolutely LOVE a frontend that could integrate with daemon tools or better yet, virtual clonedrive. A lot of my movies are in ISO format from a direct back up of my DVD collection, and that would eliminate the reencoding I'd have to do to bring my movies with me. I'd also like the standard features that centrafuse has...
              Crawdaddy
              1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
              2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

Can you point to any dev links for this Virtual Clonedrive? I will take a look...

Also, I know of daemon tools but do you have any good dev links for that too?

This is good. Keep listing features, people!

Planning:
                [----------] 100%
                Purchasing:
                [----------] 90%
                [----------] 90%

Comment

I'm not sure if there are any dev tools for it, but here's a link to the offical product listing at SlySoft's site for virtual clone drive http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

as for daemon tools, it looks like you can email [email protected] for SDK info
                  Crawdaddy
                  1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
                  2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

Something big that I believe most CarPC software seems to be lacking:
                    QUALITY DOCUMENTATION. The number of times I've spent hours on end trauling around forums looking for an answer to the simplest of questions... In Australia we occasionally get "national security" ads on television telling you to ring in if you see something suspicious so they can "piece together the puzzle" to protect our borders from terrorism and crime. I feel the same way about CarPC software, I'm out there trauling through a big bunch of fragmented answers and pieces of information to find a few gems of wisdom between a whole load of irrelevant material.

If configuration and the likes could be done using Xml i think this would be an advantage for extensibility/future proofing it for awhile.

Comment

documentation

That should be top of the list, i have folders full of snippets..

Comment

Documentation isn't allot of fun to write, but it can make a huge difference to how long it takes before users can begin effectively using a piece of software so I think it plays a pretty important part.

What i'd love to see is someone who focuses first of all on getting the basics down solid and only then trying to encorporate every feature under the sun into it. I know with front ends like road runner there's lots of little niggling things that often happen which requires the user to start digging through forums and then configuration to make the appropriate changes. Things like flash rotating images rotating in front of/blocking off album art, I think it's all the niggling configuration necessities rather than having it "out of the box - set and forget" that i dislike most about roadrunner. I know it's far from easy to develop quality software and road runner does a pretty good job (especially when you consider it's free).

Are there many people on these forums who develop in .NET? I've considered starting up an open source project somewhere for a new front end if there's a couple of people willing to work towards a solid frontend first before focusing on all the requests to encorporate everything under the sun.

Comment

I would certainly agree with the last post ... get the basic's down and working first before adding in the long list of extra's that RR (and the others) incorporate. RR is an excellent program but as mentioned before there are so many add-on / extra's getting the config for it right is very difficult. This is where good documentation comes in ...

Would it be feasible to have the config file for this FE allow you to enable / disable individual modules within the FE to reduce processing overheads and simplify the config file ?

One last thing would be (if possible) to remember that not everyone has a superfast and powerful carputer ... can this new FE run on the more humble pc's out there ?
                          -------------------------------
                          The TEKNIK Family ... Teknik 1 & Teknik 2, Teknik T-3, Teknik v4.0, Teknik-X.

Comment

Working...
                          X