Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any front ends that look classy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any front ends that look classy?

All the front end's I've seen so far look cheap. Does anyone make one that resembles something I'd find in a Lexus, Mercedes, etc...?

Comment

ok, now that's better... I got overwhelmed by the millions of skins for many fronts ends so I figured I'd ask. I am a Mac guy and want to run a Mini with XP in parallels (because the mac front ends are behind) so I like a mac look as well as the "classy" look. is there a way to see bigger screen shots?

Also, can this front end control movies, music, nav, phone (bluetooth) AND climate control, without having to swap between aps, by any chance (once again I use a new, high end luxury car as an example)?

Comment

And what is this front end? I don't see "mediaportal" in the front ends forum... is this what it's called?

Also, what would the nav look like?

Comment

ummm can i just say that that is absolutely beautiful ... where can i get it??

Zach

Comment

Ok, found he page but haven't found the skin yet... anyway, this looks sweet! any have a quick answer about integrating all the things I mentioned?

Comment

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/news...diaportal.html

I'm downloading it now. I've experimented with MP a little bit and it is not very touch-screen friendly. However, I think it may have a lot of potential if you add in a USB "knob" or two, like the powermate or the one from Phidgets.

Far as I know, Mediaportal does not support bluetooth or GPS, it was created for home theater use so it has a different mission. However I can't help wondering the CarPC community could benefit from building on this foundation, just because there's such a large pool of talent contributing to it already.

Comment

Originally posted by booksix View Post
                All the front end's I've seen so far look cheap. Does anyone make one that resembles something I'd find in a Lexus, Mercedes, etc...?
                And all those frontends are skinnable so you can give them the look & feel you want.

Want it to look classy? Get to skinning!
                Want it to look ghetto? Get to skinning!

Frankly, if I was a developer of any of the frontends I'd be offended if someone called my frontend look & feel "cheap" from someone who has made no effort to do any better.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That's why I mentioned no names. I'm not trying to offend anyone and I have no graphic skills to make a skin of my own. But I'm happy to buy a front end/skin that looks the way I like. I just feel a lot of the skins I've seen so far look like all the skins I hated for winamp (hated that program back when I used pc's a few years ago).

As far as the development of Mediaportal, I think it's a great idea as well. I wish I knew more about programming and all. I'm going to try and learn but as far as something that's already out there, it looks amazing!

Comment

Just remember this...

The more graphically "beautiful" something is, the more CPU & GPYU-intensive it will be when loading, transitioning, etc.
                    That is especially true if you're getting into anything with a 3D interface and/or lots of detail.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Also, can this front end control movies, music, nav, phone (bluetooth) AND climate control, without having to swap between aps, by any chance (once again I use a new, high end luxury car as an example)?
                      No - media portal is for media control. With that said it allows plugins so almost anything can be added, however at this stage nav, climate control are not available.

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/othe...cave-live.html

Comment

Keep in mind Book the skins are designed to be touch screen friendly for small displays. The buttons, graphics need to be larger so that you can see and use them efficiently.

All the features of a carputer such as GPS, Wifi, Weather, Games etc etc and you start running into challenges as far as design.

You must have not looked very hard, the Macish look and feel is being developed and used. As Darque said though it is a trade off as you need more cpu and graphics power to have such things as Album Covers rotating, lists scrolling like the IPhone etc.

Try to skin and maybe you will appreciate the challenges a bit more. That way you can create what you want.
                          2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                          2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                          Sound Stage
                          Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

I'm going to disagree with Zip here and say that the vast majority of skinners simply don't have any talent. Professional quality skins are few and far between to say the least. As far as graphics power, I'm not entirely convinced much of it isn't due to bloated and poorly optimized front ends/skins.

Book,
                            Keep in mind that you're getting this software for free and there are a lot of folks who work their asses off to give it to us. If companies with unlimited time and budgets like Adobe, Microsoft, etc were writing this software it would be a different animal but as it stands only a few individuals with limited time work on these things so they aren't going to be perfect. Have you thought about purchasing a front end from Centrafuse, Street Deck, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                              Frankly, if I was a developer of any of the frontends I'd be offended if someone called my frontend look & feel "cheap" from someone who has made no effort to do any better.
                              It is what it is. If you don't want people to think they look and feel cheap then don't make them look and feel cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X