Microsoft SYNC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft SYNC

I was wondering if there is any way to get the new Microsoft SYNC to work on our own car pc's. I looks very interesting and i could se it being used in place of your front end. I would like to somehow find it and test it out to see what it is like. Any suggestions?

or the Live Search app that is for mobile smart phones

Comment

From what I understand, the SYNC is only the voice interface and from what I have seen, the up and coming One Voice is better. Have you seen the one voice demo on streetdeck at youtube? Pretty impressive. Supposedly the plugin for streetdeck is going to be out soon.
      My opinion is my own.

Comment

So if it just a voice interface then what os is the head unit running? The C Net reviews say that it has like 256 MB of flash memory that hold the os.

Comment

See what you can make out of this....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/default.mspx

It appears to be something called windows automotive, but from what I read in the documentation, it's still just and interface for voice to control different devices. Not really the "front end" as like the Ford Focus doesn't have a true touchscreen or monitor that I have seen. Just a button to play music. Some of the larger vehicles do have touchscreens, but I don't think those are SYNC as they are a different manufacturer (Chrysler minivan?).

I guess what I am saying is that yes, it is software, but extremely limited compared to some of the software we are using.
          My opinion is my own.

Comment

Ahh makes more sense now. Thanks for the Info.

Comment

Went and watched some of ford's videos just now. They have a screen but doesn't look touchscreen. Buttons all around the outside of the screen. I'm betting the "front end" is car maker specific running some upgraded version of microsoft speech recognition.

Could be wrong though!
              My opinion is my own.

Comment

I read that it is Windows Mobile based.
                Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Comment

Heck,
                  I would just be happy getting my hands on the speech engine.

It does look neat, I'll give them that. But it's still a Ford. lol
                  My opinion is my own.

Comment

Found On Road Dead . I agree i would like to get my hands on it and test it out. That is how we learn about new tricks for our car pc's.

Comment

The Microsoft Sync system used in ford vehicles only has a touch screen if it has navigation. The sync system can control an mp3 player(ipod, zune,ect), Bluetooth phone, or you can use the USB port with a tumb drive for mp3's too. It only recognizes certain phrases for the phone and MP3 function. It works well installed in the vehicle, but I think someone could come up with something better and with more functions.

Comment

Im not trying to be lazy, but it seems if all of there function were integrated in to one program and worked seamlessly then it would be easier to implement. I have noticed with my car computer i am having the hardest time with my Zune, bluetooth cell phone, and the voice integration. It would be nice to have all of this in one package that worked. I was just curious and started looking into it.

Comment

What are the chances of "SYNC" actually working the way it does in the commercials.. My guess is VERY slim.. It is M$FT we're talking about..
                          Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                            I read that it is Windows Mobile based.
                            If anyone has used Microsoft Voice Command on their Smartphone (Windows Mobile) then they know it's very similar, if not the same, to SYNC.

On my smartphone I can say the genre, artist or song title and the phone will play it through Windows Media Player. And it works really well too with no training necessary. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I started a thread under "Input Devices" proposing the idea of having a Smartphone act as the microphone and sending commands to the carPC via Bluetooth.

Comment

A few answers for you:
                              • SYNC will only work in the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles
                              • SYNC is not a frontend per se, it is more like a backend. While it has UI the UI is somewhat slave to the UI provided by the headunit OEM
                              • SYNC is based on Windows Mobile and has some features that are similar to that of Voice Command
                              • While the speech interface (SUI) is the strongest part of SYNC (full speech recognition of any artist, track name, contact name, etc.) it has a graphical (GUI) interface as well. The graphical interface is limitted by the headunit with which SYNC is paired up.

Hope that clears some things up.

Mark (SYNC developer)
                              Mark

See all my CarPC projects

Comment

Working...
                              X