Hibernation time sky rocketed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernation time sky rocketed

Eversince i have my carputer, i've always been able to resume from hibernation in about 3 secs or so, pretty much POOF DONE.
    Just yesterday, it suddendly became disasterously SLOW. Right now it resumes at about 2 little bars per seconds, which is incredibly slower compared to before. I tried everything, including deleting the hibernation file, defrag, ...etc. Also i tried to removing all USB drives, but still slow.
    Anyone know why this might be? could you give me a hand?

What changed?
    2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
    [----------] 100%
    Purchasing:
    [----------] 90%
    Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
    [----------] 90%

Comment

nothing i that i could've possibly think of, no new software, hardware,..etc.

Comment

3 sec from hibernation? WoW! What hard drive are you using and how did you get it down to that low? I can only get it down to 20sec.

Comment

just using a regular IDE HDD, there is no post time on this mobo practically (foxconn), and hibernation no time at all as well, until now of course.

Comment

Your HDD might have gotten a little beat up. Full size HDDs arent made to take bumps and nudges. Try to reformat. If that doesnt fix it, upgrade to a Laptop HD.
            Once you've had the "Carputer" experience, you will wonder how you ever lived without it...

Comment

I would agree with fls27. HD is most likely the cause...

Planning:
              [----------] 100%
              Purchasing:
              [----------] 90%
              [----------] 90%

Comment

funny thing is, i just installed a fresh version of window 2 days ago when i decided to switch back to IDE because sata cable wasn't as secure as i would like.

Comment

Well a reinstall of windows and a change of HD and its interface could cause the issue...

Planning:
                  [----------] 100%
                  Purchasing:
                  [----------] 90%
                  [----------] 90%

Comment

nope after fresh install of xp, new software, hardware, hibernation was still super quick.
                    A day after that, it became slow. Anyway after some tweaking i was about to get it back to "reasonably" fast. Still no where close to the original speed. I know reinstalling winxp would most likely bring it back to normal again, but i don't think its worth 2 hours to gain 5secs of boot time. Well, in the process i ran some boot time test/optimization using microsoft bootvis, and here are the results. So if anyone who is interested can compare or see why its not at its max speed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok. So lets trouble shoot. How much RAM? How much VRAM do you have allocated? Whats the speed of your HD (RPM wise). Also, what brand HD do you have? Avoid Maxtor like the plague!!!
                      Once you've had the "Carputer" experience, you will wonder how you ever lived without it...

Comment

512mb ram, agp video card, seagate ide 7200rpm,.

Comment

Hmmm... im gonna go out on a limb and say underpowered system or not enough Virtual RAM. Maybe another member with an AGP video card can chime in. The majority of us here use on board vid. Care to share your setup specifics? Mobo, vid card, power supply.

Comment

the video card is a AGP ATI AIW 7500, i've been debating whether or not to have it in there. THe system does not seem to be underpowered, because it runs fine, for hours and hours. While we're talking about video card, do you guys find onboard video sufficient for smooth flash transitions and video playback? because thats really what i'm looking for. As for virtual memory its set at default windows setting.

Comment

well. I only have a 90W power supply right now and I have terrible lag on my flash video. I would really like to put in an AGP video card myself but my case cant support it. Try increasing your VRAM, it might help.

Comment

Working...
                              X