To DOS or not to DOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DOS or not to DOS

As I try to decide which direction to go with this project I wanted to get your thoughts on DOS.

I like the idea of using DOS because of its simplicity and the fact that it can be shut down by just hitting the power switch. I also like the DOS player MPXPLAY very much. It seems to do a great job.

But what I'm wondering is: has anyone else used this type of setup, and if so, how did you get around the the 2GB hard drive limit? Setting up 10 partitions on a 20 gig drive doesn't seem practical.

Also, does anyone use DOS 7.x, in other words, installing WIN9x, but only booting to, and using the DOS portion of the OS? Does this even work all that well?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Dex

I run DOS 6.2 on my carputer. I just created a bunch of 2 gig partitions. It's no big deal to have your playlists reference different drives.

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Thanks Rob, now that you mention it, having a bunch of partitions in a dedicated DOS/Auto-Mp3player would be pretty transparent to the user.

BTW, checked out your homepage, nice job. I'll be using a similiar hardware setup, ie., P233MMX Intel AN430-TX MB. So I take it you haven't had any "speed" problems with this setup. (skipping etc.)

Thanks, Dex

Comment

Speed is just fine. My processor is actually clocked back to 160MHz to reduce the power consumption. I cache two entire songs in memory all the time, so it doesn't hit the hard drive all the time. So no skips, ever.

The player software is a port of mpg123, which is very efficient on the cpu, it was taking about 20% load to decode on a P200, so 160MHz is plenty.

Rob
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

If you use DOS v7 from Windows98SE.
          Fdisk use FAT32,
          You can have partitions greater than 2gig.

John

Comment

Have you guys found that DAMP and MPXPLAY
            etc work well under non-GUI windows?
            (I guess we can call it DOS?)

Comment

It works fine.

I have been use MPXPLAY with MPXF frontend.
              40x4 LCD. for a year or so. With no real problems.

Comment

Just a thought... but you should look into Linux.

Comment

Hi qj (and all), I have considered Linux, I actually have at least 3 different versions on CD right now. I've played with it only a little but the one thing that keeps bringing me back to DOS is; its the only OS I know of that, when you want to shut it off, you hit the power switch.

One of the main design goals of my system, is it must be transparent in use to my wife, who is not computer savy. I won't consider it a viable system until anyone can simply turn it on and use as they would an ordinary car stereo.

We have the technology . . . we can rebuild him . . .

Dex

Hey Grunt, I've been playing with MpxPlay for awhile now, but Ive never heard of the MPXF frontend. What is that, where can I get it?

Comment

Hey Grunt, I've been playing with MpxPlay for awhile now, but Ive never heard of the MPXF frontend. What is that, where can I get it?

You can download MPXF at this link:
                    http://www.radioactivesoft.com/mpxf/

I have a modifyed version MPXF 1.44 that has been updated to work with newer versions of Mpxplay.
                    Do not remember the link.
                    If you want I can send it direct to you by email?

Comment

Thanks Grunt, my email is in my profile. I'll be leaving town today for a week or so, so I may not get it for awhile.

But, I'll check it out. I am using, what I think is the latest MpxPlay. Ver 1.47.

Dex

Comment

My truck pc is only for mp3s. Because of this, my setup is very simple. OS is Win95 modified to boot directly to Dos. This version of Dos7 removes the 2 gig limit. I use MPXPLAY 1.47. A numeric keypad and batch files are used to run everything from two 4 gig removable hd's. This simple setup has worked flawlessly and sounds great running through my Kenwood Excelon head unit. Computer is a P166 mmx.

If mp3 is all you are doing, MPXPLAY is simple and works great. I really like how it resumes the last song it left from. Makes it very transparent. Which was important to me. After watching me use the system a couple of times, my wife can easily operate it herself.

Comment

Found the links to MPXF 144.

Unoffical Updated MPXF:
                          http://techworld.dyndns.org/download/mpxf_144.zip

Source Code:
                          http://techworld.dyndns.org/download/mpxf144s.zip

Comment

Would their be an app that would give a paml connected to the serial port acces to playlist and more just like Palm Amp.Because with a dos player with palm access my life would be great ...
                            Apple Ipod 20gig 4th gen black and white. Saves you lots of time. and a pocketpc with wifi for the ocasional email cheking and mapping at a hotspot.

Comment

I believe someone use to use dr-dos on there setup. It might be a good choice if your going the dos direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X