Multiple Monitors Sharing A Feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Monitors Sharing A Feed

This might sound like a strange question or maybe already covered and I didn't know how to search for it. Is there a Front End or some sort of video option to install a headrest monitor in each of the headrests and play a dvd on the CarPC and select to have it play on the rear computers and not on the front one?

Thought about this and the possibilities of having multiple monitors and running different movies on different monitors at the same time. However unless you installed multiple DVDroms that part wouldn't work.

Would it be possible to start a movie on one screen and start a different movie on a different screen if they were downloaded and ripped to the hard drive?

Sorry just rambling on about ideas that I would love to see work, however I don't have the knowledge to make them work myself!

Rob
    [1997 Chevrolet Suburban]
    PLANNING.[====================] 15%]
    CAR PC......[====================] 0%]
    INSTALL....[====================] 0%]
    INTERIOR..[====================] 0%]
    BUDGET.....[====================] 5%]

I am curious about this also but from a slightly different perspective. I have a Lilli in the dash but I'd like to fit another screen to the back of a headrest for my daughter to watch movies. I'm quite happy to turn the screen in the dash off if I need to but how do I hook up an extra monitor?

Comment

Having the video on the rear but not on the front is fairly easy.

There are settings in the video drivers for video cards that support multiple monitors to determine where the video goes. video overlay is the term to search for.

Now to have two different movies is another thing altogether, it might be possible to have different video/dvd software running which is set to run on different screens. Although running two videos is going to be pretty CPU intensive.

I currently have two headrest monitors and they are set to play videos whilst I have GPS on the front. I haven't solved the sound issue yet to have audio on the fromt and video in the rear, but that should just need me to put a second soundcard in to the PC and then run multiple instances of RoadRunner and winamp. I also have an old xBox going into the headrest screens via the video input on them.

Comment

Thanks Enforcer

So one setup should be pretty easy, keep us informed if you get a fix for the audio video thing? Would it be easier to install a set of headphone jacks for their sound? make them put headsets on to listen to the movie?

Rob

Comment

Well the plan is for the people in the rear to have headphones while I have the music through the speakers, however it will still need a second soundcard. (except for the xBox)

Comment

CENTRAFUSE! Have a look in the front ends section. It will do exactly what you want. Except the two different movies on different screens. Could request that feature to be added.
            We are, will have and forever will be...
            But not tommorrow!

Comment

Video Matrix Switcher?

Rob I'm completely new to the Car PC hobby. I'm still planning or day dreaming. I have been looking to see how other people have approached the problem of mutliple feeds / multiple monitors. I have the beginings of an idea. I have a 1995 Ford Econoline Conversion Van. I want to set up at least three zones of information/entertainment. My inputs would be CarPC, standalone dvd player, a composite jack located in the vehicle for plugging in camcorders or anything, and a Nintendo (for starters)

I have been looking for a video matrix switchers to accomplish this. The link below is for a 12Volt 8x8 composite and stereo video matrix switcher. It will take up to 8 inputs and will connect to 8 outputs. It can put any input to any output and or it can put one input to multiple outputs. The sound input for a particular video feed would follow.

I have also been considering using a client server approach and having multiple CarPCs. I don't have any real hard ideas around this yet.

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/8...H-p-17254.html

Comment

thanks everyone for the input, enforcer i really like your idrive special edition, is that going to have capabilities for some cameras? Like rear bumper cam, or mirror cams?

Comment

Working...
                X