Whereismycar Open-source Project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whereismycar Open-source Project?

As a few of you know I have been poking around with writing some software that will allow one to track the location of their vehicle via the Internet. On the Internet (or web enabled mobile device) the user can view a map of the current location as well as historical data points.

I would like to make the project open-source (visual basic) because I don’t have the time or the skills to make it work the way it could.

The whole thing works for the most part but I need more experienced coders to clean it up.

If you would like to see a demo Login to http://www.whereismycar.org/login.asp using Username “test”, password “test”

Here’s more about how it works: http://www.whereismycar.org/about.asp

Any interest?

What's mine say?

DUDE!

What's mine say?

SWEET!

sorry it's 3 AM and I still can't sleep. It probably won't be as funny to myself in the morning.

Comment

I must say this is a very cool idea..... Great way to trace your car if it gets stolen.
      I would like to offer my programming expertise, but I cannot program to save my life (I am trying to learn VB tho..)
      Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

i've always thought about doing something much like this.. if i did it i'd keep the site private so only friends and family can see.. i'd be worried about someone getting specs on my car then finding out where it is to break into it.
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

What kind of help did you want with this ? I know some visual basic and while your project seems very interesting I do not have a cell phone/wireless internet in my car and have no plans to get it so I am not sure how much I would be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
            ....i'd keep the site private so only friends and family can see...
            That's why I had it so every person has their own login. The ower of the car can select which "sub users" can see which information.

Originally posted by moxnix
            What kind of help did you want with this ? I know some visual basic and while your project seems very interesting I do not have a cell phone/wireless internet in my car and have no plans to get it so I am not sure how much I would be able to help.
            I would like to make it more elegant, it's rough around the edges to say the least. If you don't have a cell phone or even a GPS that won't stop you from testing. It uses the web browser control in VB, so it doesn't matter what type of Internet connection you have. For the GPS there is a option to simulate GPS input, if you don't have one connected.

Comment

I have a GPS just no internet connection and I would be willing to help if you want me to (starting next week since this week is final exams and I am working on those when I am not waisting my time on boards like this.

moxnix

Comment

would there be a way for it to store the information and upload it once a day or so whenever it got an internet conncetion? My car uses an 802.11b wireless nic so I can't always count on a nearby open network for internet.

birrman54

Comment

Originally posted by Birrman54
                  would there be a way for it to store the information and upload it once a day or so whenever it got an internet conncetion?....
                  I don't see why that would be a problem, if someone it willing to code it. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but if it's a desired feature then why not.

Comment

I would imagine that your intention is to use this like a public "Lojack" type system? What is your intended method of transmitting the data?
                    aka Kumaneko
                    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Originally yes, it was supposed to be a cheep way to keep track of your car. It can be so much more then that. For example it can be used to keep track of where all those speed cameras are and warn you before it's too late. Also a database of which intersections have red light cameras. Perhaps the locations of where cops typically hide and shoot radar.

As far as data transmission goes it's up to the user. When I first thought about this about two years ago, wireless Internet was supposed to be common by now, but that's not the case. Right now about the cheapest method I can think of is Sprint's new offer with Vision. Vision gives you unlimited data transfers for about $10 more then a voice only plan per month. However, my focus now is on the software and getting the infrastructure ready, affordable wireless technology will follow.

Comment

Interesting idea, but I wonder how practical and how many people would actually be able to make use of this?

Unless you plan on hardwiring your cellphone into the system, using it as a theft tracking device is pretty useles.

As for the ideas about speed cameras, red light cameras, radar traps, etc all of this can be obtained prior to departure and you can just use the carputer to tell you this, you don't need a wireless internet link to do so. Seeing how the information that you'll be matching it up against will either be constant or several hours out-of-date I doubt that you'd need it updated every second

If you want to just store your position and then interpret it later, GPS NMEA data is pretty easy to decipher and you can just dump it all to a text file, or just scan out the particular sentances that you want and save only those.

I remember thinking of a similar idea a while back, but I concluded that it really wasn't necessary to have the internet link in your car for this type of thing to work. Mind you, there are plenty of other neat reasons to have an internet link in your car!
                        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Well..
                          one thing you could do(just a thought) is take an old data enabled phone, and hardwire it in like sombody before said... look around the net and get the programming commands for your current phone and for the old one that is going to be embedded.. and basically clone your own phone to the one in the car.. that way you only get one bill. I dont think it would be illegeal to use your own min. I mean you pay for the service so I think it would be just like putting an extra phone in your house using the same line as the one the Telco put in.

just a thought,
                          Justin Stiltner
                          Truck :1993 Ford Ranger Splash 4.0L
                          System : Pioneer HU and Factory replacement speakers
                          Puter :Pentium OCed to 133Mhz and win 95 with a whistler power inverter and crystalfontz 20x4 lcd(soon to be motorized) and winamp
                          Comms Gear: Cobra 25WXST, K40 whip, Silver Streak 175, Radioshack Hyperscan Pro-2045
                          95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: FOR SALE!!! $4000
                          95 Egeal Talon Tsi AWD: Project car boostin 15 psi.

Comment

Hey, this is very similar to an idea I had that just used 2-way alpha-pagers to relay gps coords. Really nice work so far. I'd like to help in any way I can. I would like to contribute by creating a standalone embedded device that doesn't need a PC to send the information. Great work!
                            Alex Lear

Comment

Originally posted by alear
                              I would like to contribute by creating a standalone embedded device that doesn't need a PC to send the information.
                              I think the embedded method is the way to go. What is your idea of embedded? Microprocessor?

Comment

Working...
                              X