Winamp AVS files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winamp AVS files

Has anyone succesfully implemented winamp avs support in their VB app? Anyone have any info on doing so? Does it have to be through direct sound? Is it possible to make it work with any sound the system makes?

Any links, ideas, comments are greatly welcome!

Another thing you can try instead of AVS is dreamrender (http://www.dreamrender.com).. there's tons of customization you can do on that.. uses the wave output from any audio/video program..

But then, to work reliably, you need a pretty powerfull setup.. Runs ok on my AMD K6-2 550, but I've got 3/4 gig of RAM..

Should run ok on my car pc.. I've got a 1.2 gig /512mb RAM setup I'm using for that..
    1988 Caprice Classic Wagon
    NOT your daddy's woody.. <-- [i]SOLD!! Not quite pimpin' enough..

Progress : [$$$$$----] 50%
    1.2GhZ AMD Duron
    512 Megs Ram
    Cheapy mobo for testing
    Drives: 10gig - TEMPORARY, for testing
    SB Live! 5.1
    GeForce2 64mb
    15" Kristel Industrial Grade Touch Screen

Software : [##--------] v0.20
    Screen shots/feature list coming soon(..-er or later)

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

I don't think I'll have any trouble with it.. my carmputer has an Athlon 1800xp as its heart =)

Comment

yeah, you won't have ANY problems.. lol..

It's a funky program.. give it a shot.. I'm toying with the idea of using it in my system..

1.2GhZ AMD Duron
        512 Megs Ram
        Cheapy mobo for testing
        SB Live! 5.1
        GeForce2 64mb

Comment

the water rendering part of the program is quite stunning.. especially when linked to the webcam! But the program as a whole is crap =|

It's not so much that the program is crap.. but that it is pretty limited in what can be done.. and has little user support to create awesome "dreams" with winamp avs, the sky is the limit! As is the user base, as AVS of unrivaled quality are released!

I'm wondering, if a seperate program made in delphi (winamp avs files can be used in delphi projects) which simply made any color XXXXX on the screen (via overlay) display the avs playing to any sound from the system.. could run hidden from user.. and in order to display it in our programs, just use the shell() command, and display the said color on the screen..

Gotta love overlay =)

Now all we need is a proficient Delphi programmer..... ..

*looks at the person reading this

Comment

Just wanted to suggest something.. for your carmputer, you're almost better off with LESS ram. Anything we throw at our systems should run fine with 64 megs of memory (assuming 128 is installed, and windows is taking 64 for itself.. which it wouldn't if it was stripped) I'm going to be using the hibernation feature of windows, so I can start the carmputer up and shut it down in under 10 seconds. The problem is, the more ram you have.. the longer it takes. 512 mb takes like 30 seconds to startup, while 128 takes under.. 10 =)

Performance hit? None. =)

Comment

Good point

When I have the software up and running, I'll test with various configurations of ram.. I've got SDRAM here in sticks ranging from 16 to 256 megs.. Thanks for the tip

As for dreamrender being limited.. yeah, it is kinda.. you REALLY have to delve into the settings and tweak them to get some really good effects.. Just look at some of the "dreams" they have on their site.

I will agree with you however that Winamp AVS's are much more likely to give you what you want if you want FULL customization

1.2GhZ AMD Duron
              512 Megs Ram
              Cheapy mobo for testing
              SB Live! 5.1
              GeForce2 64mb

Comment

Well, I've decided to shell winamp.. and hide every window, using the vbHide option.. so it'll run hidden from view.. the trick here is I also set the avs to overlay.. so color XXX,XXX,XXX displays the visualization... So I've got avs anywhere I want, whenever I want.. the only downside (or upside) is I have to use winamp to play any music I want played.. insted of an internal ocx.. though it won't really make much difference =P Just not as tidy.. Controlling winamp via api calls is pretty damned easy, too... So that won't be a problem =)

Comment

Working...
                X