Any use for BlueProximity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any use for BlueProximity?

It's an application that can sense how far away a bluetooth device is and once it's inside the specified distance, it can perform events on your computer to run applications, turn on monitor, unlock screen or anything else. Any use for this in car computing?
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

if only it could be used to start the computer.. that'd be pretty sweet lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

i'm not sure if the bluetooth spec has a readable wireless sync time built in, maybe you could program it but for what your looking for it would probably be better to use somekind of passive RF signal kinda like the new altima or jaguar keys, as long as the key is in distance the car will turn on, plus the transmitter requires no energy. but for computing use, unless you have the computer on bluetooth receivers would prob not be the solution, at least in car.
      2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
      WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

Comment

How about an app that locked your doors in case you forgot?

Detecting the bluetooth phone having left the range would be a good indicator that the paired phone and the owner of the vehicle are gone.

If people are using a DC-DC power supply with startup / shutdown controllers then their systems are probably shutting down 1 minute after the car is off like the m2atx will, which would mean that the PC is probably still running while the owner has walked out of bluetooth range. At that point the system either locks the doors via rf signal for keyless entry, or duplicates a power lock button press via fusion brain or some whatever-is-out-there.

I personally would like to know my car locks itself for me if I forget or whatever.

Comment

Luke, I like that idea, doors auto locking/unlocking if a cell phone is in range.

Comment

I think there can be alot of applications for this. As long as it can detect the specific bluetooth device it could be used as a security device.
            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Originally posted by bemenaker View Post
              Luke, I like that idea, doors auto locking/unlocking if a cell phone is in range.
              I have this on my alarm already but haven't enabled it, it's a pain. If I get a certain distance to/from the car, the doors will lock/unlock. So if I'm in a house and the car's outside, it's going every time I move around.
              Ampie Case
              2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
              Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
              Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
              X