Why won't these videos play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't these videos play?

I downloaded a bunch of music videos in .avi format, I think they might be high definition or something, I'm not sure. They're all newer videos that were released recently so they're all high quality. I can play them on my desktop in Ubuntu with VLC no problem but when I transfer them to the Windows XP machine in the car with Windows Media Player and Road Runner, they won't play. Or if they do, they stutter and hang real bad. But mostly won't even play, just stay on a black screen. Is there some sort of codec I need? I got the latest version of Road Runner and I got all the Windows updates from Microsoft as of a month ago.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Update you Codecs. I had the same thing happen with .flv files last month. Download and install these and they should work.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
      Update you Codecs. I had the same thing happen with .flv files last month. Download and install these and they should work.
      I just installed the Standard version and I have sound but very laggy video and it takes a good 10 seconds for it to even start playing the audio. So either the codec didn't work or the quality of the video is too much for my onboard M10000 processor.
      Ampie Case
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Your M10k wont handle highdef. But putting high def on a 7" screen is useless. Downscale the movies to something more reasonable and use a lighter compression codec if need be.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Ya, I really don't care what the quality is, I just want to play these videos without messing with them. Are there any good Ubuntu programs for downgrading videos? I only have Windows in my car.
          Ampie Case
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
            Ya, I really don't care what the quality is, I just want to play these videos without messing with them. Are there any good Ubuntu programs for downgrading videos? I only have Windows in my car.
            I had the same issue with video and windows (epia 600MHz in those days). even tried running vlc on windows. Couldn't get video performance to be good enough. that's why I switched to Linux in the car and started developing nGhost.

do a google search for "handbrake" they have a ubuntu package on their site. It's really good for transcoding video to different formats. If you don't want to go to a third-party site, try avidemux in the ubuntu repo. Good luck.
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

If you set the priority of windows media player to realtime, that may help. I've noticed on slower computers that is required otherwise the sound will stutter.
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

Working...
              X